What Food From Your Home Country Did The Argentinians Ruin?

Well I only know two of my fellow countrymen who like mondongo, everybody else hates it. It's like I could go to your country and pick the most disgusting traditional food you can offer and then make my judgement from there.

We have that in Italy. It is considered a delicacy during winter. I never dared to try it. The smell and the look and the background on where it comes from are enough for me.
It's like one of the two things in the world I won't ate. The other one are frogs.

I even tried donkey and horse (in Italy they are popular) and snails (sea snails), but mondongo (trippa in Italian)... no way!

I don't know, I don't know. Really. They even still have Italian citizenship. What a shame!

At least they don't show off they are Italo-Americans like they do in the US. That's pitiful.
So, anybody with *some* $10k to invest and an adventurous spirit wanna start a real Italian restaurant in BsAs?
You bring the money, I bring the cook.

Whmmm, only US$10k ? I was thinking doin' the Sushi joint there with more than US$100k but being advised there can not find fresh variety of needed sea foods to do the genuine Sushi in Bs As. So Iam very much interested but comeon only $10k really?

Although it is hard for me to write this - after wineguy insulted me with dulce de leche and fubol in some other thread - I have to say that I totally agree with him here. Go out more! Find other restaurants!

And he is right about that it is just like in any other city in the world (incl. the US).

OMG, now I'm worried about a vendetta!

Whmmm, only US$10k ?

I wrote *some* USD10k... I don't have any experience in any business, all I can do is cooking. I believe to open a take-away pizzeria, USD30 should be enough here in BsAs.
Anyway I was thinking about maybe a risotteria (a place where they make only risotto). Rice is cheap, all you need is onion (check), rice (check), broth (check) and the ingredients to flavour it - like saffron, chorizo+red wine, queso azul, pumpkin, mushrooms, seafood+lemon,... you name it! I think that should be on the USD70k figure.

There's an Argentine empanada house in Houston that's been around since the 70s (my mom went back in her 20s)
They have the traditional Argentine flavors, and choripanes, but they also have changed a lot and offer a lot of Texan-ized flavors that are the most delicious empanadas I've ever had only to hear to my Argentine husband say "Brisket!? Chipotle?! Serrano Peppers!? That's NOT an empanada!" He was right, but it's amazing. Because it's cultural and food adapts!

Also my never ending complaint here is how all the food feels like it's missing something, falta algo...usually that something is hot sauce or cheese (I'm a tex mex girl! whatcha gonna do), only to hear my local friend complain about a US visit "ohh but the food in the states is always too much, I don't know just....too much of something" It's all relative!

For those passing through Houston at some point (forgive the strip mall local, the original burned down) http://www.theorigin...com/Empanadas-2

Manena's in the best in Houston.

all Chinese foods.

I'm Malaysia born Chinese and in Malaysia we preserve our own culture very well. I've been spending a lot of times in kitchen with my aunties since I was a kid and I worked in China, Taiwan and Hong Kong before, I could say I understand many types of Chinese foods very well. Chinese foods in Argentina are NOWHERE near. It does look alike but it taste like, hmm, something western, something soya sauce and MSG but defintely not Chinese foods!!

Eventhough most of the chefs in Chinese restaurant are Chinese but they have to adjust the flavour to Argentinian's perference. From what I have tasted, fried-rice might be the nearest. Spring rolls are like other fried stuffs really hard to go wrong.

But Korean foods in Korean's neighborhood are pretty authentic and super yummy (not those bbq buffets that took over by Chinese)l!! thumbs up for Koreans in argentina!!!

Back