What, In Your Opinion, Is Argentina's Culture

I cannot thank all of you enough for your input. Please keep them coming. After my presentation, I shall post the slides on here (if it's allowed) for all to see!

Wait a second. Argentina also has a large British influence.

Time ago, it was "de facto" a British colony. The British owned every industry, the Central Bank, and printed the money. It all went south with Peron.

Check an Argentine map, and you will see a large number of British names.

If not convinced, check the Argentinian music:

Do you see something strange here? Not what the world think it is.

Argentines deleted any reference to Britain after the Falklands war, but if you see, you will find Britain everywere.

The British influence was fleeting, The Brits did not plant their genetics here!! Other than Almirante Brown how many other Brits became famous?. How many Brits descendants are presently members of Congres?, Italians the most part of them.

The British influence was fleeting, The Brits did not plant their genetics here!! Other than Almirante Brown how many other Brits became famous?. How many Brits descendants are presently members of Congres?, Italians the most part of them.

Almirante Brown was Irish. The Brits influence was more than fleeting, it created the modern infrastructure in the country (banking, railways, loans to build city services and transport. The Brits chose not to emigrate in large numbers to the country, especially the city. Many estancia owners are of British heritage.

A couple of months ago I was reading Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's Novella.
It takes place mostly in NYC (a place I know too well) But when I got to the last page I practically fell off my chair !.

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=131421&image=688150487&images=688150487&formats=0&format=0&lgdin=1

It helps to remember that the book was published in 1958.

I get a kick when I go to the Retiro Train station. it has the UK's fingerprints all over it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16486922

You can see quite a bit of British influence on Argentine culture, just like there is influence from most of European culture on this country. For instance, did you you know that the idea of drinking tea comes from British influence? During a certain part of Argentina's history, Argentina was staunchly anti-Spanish, and its ally was Britain. During this part of Argentina's history, British culture was all the rage, while Spanish traditions and culture were frowned upon. This is the period of Argentina's history where the tradition of drinking tea was introduced, along with a few other things. To this day, that period of Argentine history has filtered down through the time. In most other Latin American countries, it is not at all common to drink tea during merienda. Argentina (and Uruguay) is really unique among most of the Latin American countries in its broad European influence. Most of the other Latin American countries' main influence was Spain.

Argentina (and Uruguay) is really unique among most of the Latin American countries in its broad European influence. Most of the other Latin American countries' main influence was Spain.

You can add Chile to that list. Strong European influence.

Back