What would you bring to Argentina with you?

Things I brought that I'm grateful to have:
pillows
linens
towels
down comforter
costco-size plastic wrap, foil, and parchment paper
vitamins (I stock up on these when I go back to US since I'm vegetarian and live in a small town here where most everything, even all the yogurt has gelatin--so I am not confident I can get vegan vitamins here)
teas (if you are a big tea drinker like me, you will likely be disappointed with the lack of variety and flavors here. Earl Grey here tastes nothing like the Earl Grey I am used to back home and so I always bring tea back with me).
kleenex (lol--i Know this sounds crazy but what passes for tissue here is rough and disintegrates quickly--I brought a few boxes of kleenex to get me through cold/allergy season and am really happy to have made that decision. Though if you're planning to be here 4 years and won't be able to stock up then maybe forget this one. I didn't bring it at first but on my most recent US trip I got some and plan to every time from now on).

Cordoba is an amazing place! I live in a small city in Entre Rios which has more proximity to BA but also lacks many basic provisions that can easily be found in BA. So my perspective is based on this as well. I was recently in BA and felt like I was in a fantasy world just wandering the aisles of a Coto supermarket compared to what we have here.

Suerte y buen viaje!

By the way, welcome to the forum. I appreciate your feedback to the people that have tried to help you. I realized from your answers that we can respond to a single part of a post simply by highlighting a sentence and the reply option appears. Also, the way you respond to several different comments in a single post. Some of the veteran members use those useful functions. Looking forward to hearing how your life in Córdoba turns out.

Anything electronic with dual voltage or 220 kv. I brought my towels, sheets, blankets and conforters, not that you will not find them here but quality is not the best. Ziplock bags of different sizes. Lots of M&Ms :)

Cordoba is an amazing place! I live in a small city in Entre Rios which has more proximity to BA but also lacks many basic provisions that can easily be found in BA. So my perspective is based on this as well. I was recently in BA and felt like I was in a fantasy world just wandering the aisles of a Coto supermarket compared to what we have here.

Suerte y buen viaje!
Thanks the confirmation of many of the things on my list, as well as a few extra that made me double check. I'm not a vegan so here's hoping the local supplements will fulfill my basic dietary needs, ha. Appreciate the luck as well, really looking forward to Cordoba. :)

By the way, welcome to the forum. I appreciate your feedback to the people that have tried to help you. I realized from your answers that we can respond to a single part of a post simply by highlighting a sentence and the reply option appears. Also, the way you respond to several different comments in a single post. Some of the veteran members use those useful functions. Looking forward to hearing how your life in Córdoba turns out.
It's my pleasure, and quite literally the least I can do to show how grateful I am that people are actually replying and helping me with their recommendations and advice. It takes time and energy (brain power) to write a reply and that should be recognized. I wish I could reply to every single person but I feel I'm already starting to wear out my "thanks" to the point of it not meaning much after awhile - but dangit I just want people to know I appreciate their answers! Anywho, uh... "thanks" for the warm welcome. 😋

Anything electronic with dual voltage or 220 kv. I brought my towels, sheets, blankets and conforters, not that you will not find them here but quality is not the best. Ziplock bags of different sizes. Lots of M&Ms :)
Yep, all set here voltage wise, coming from China so it won't be an issue (same voltage). My wife thinks bringing our blankets and comforters (not gonna be cheap or easy) is overkill but I'm using this forum as a kind of proof that we'll probably regret it if we don't. As for your last suggestion, I'll considering bringing ziplock bags full of M&Ms (honestly surprised to hear M&M's aren't there though). Appreciate the tip!

I came across a thread from a year ago of another person asking for advice on things to bring into Argentina upon moving there and Tylenol was mentioned and never disputed (many of the suggestions were ironically). Just curious if extra strength pain killers would be hard to find our should I bring some? Got a killer back pain problem that creeps up on me for a month or so every year, couldn't survive without good pain meds.

Just curious if extra strength pain killers would be hard to find our should I bring some?
There's a pharmacy on every block around here, so it's not as if you're planning to embark on an Antarctic mission or climb Mount Everest.

I came across a thread from a year ago of another person asking for advice on things to bring into Argentina upon moving there and Tylenol was mentioned and never disputed (many of the suggestions were ironically). Just curious if extra strength pain killers would be hard to find our should I bring some? Got a killer back pain problem that creeps up on me for a month or so every year, couldn't survive without good pain meds.
I get migraines that I take the excedrin that is caffeine, aspirin and acetomeniphin. I havent been able to find them in BA, I bring a big bottle with me.

I get migraines that I take the excedrin that is caffeine, aspirin and acetomeniphin. I havent been able to find them in BA, I bring a big bottle with me.

Are you serious? You cannot find caffeine, aspirin, and paracetamol in this country? Have you tried asking for them at any pharmacy? I mean, not just looking around, but actually asking the pharmacist at the counter if they have them?

Yes there are many pharmacies and yes there are pain killers of course, but my mother-in-law who has chronic pain and is Argentine always asks us to bring her Tylenol and Advil from US. Maybe it's a quality but more likely a quantity issue. Things are not sold in as high of quantity as far as I can tell, so yes, we definitely bring Tylenol and Ibuprofen back with us whenever we get a chance...Same with arnica creams etc. They exist here but not in the same forms that make them as pleasant as in US at least (please correct me if someone has a great arnica cream here that they love and tell me the brand:)

Are you serious? You cannot find caffeine, aspirin, and paracetamol in this country? Have you tried asking for them at any pharmacy? I mean, not just looking around, but actually asking the pharmacist at the counter if they have them?
yes, you can sometimes find a 10 pill box of it. I buy the 300 pill jars at costco, much cheaper, less packaging, and I always have enough. I buy various things in bulk in the US that are much harder to find in bulk in Argentina. Tumeric capsules, for example. Cheaper, bigger packages, and I am at Costco anyway. I buy bulk razor blade refills, as well as non-sugary toothpaste, and my prefered brands of shampoo and deodorant, too. I find the Argentine stuff is the biggest mass market brands, and expensive to boot. I also installed an inline water filter in my kitchen sink, as the only thing I could find in Argentina was the counter top pitchers, which are all multilevel marketing, and very expensive and not very good. I use a standard filter, change it once a year, and its a fraction of the cost, and it is invisibly plumbed in below the counter top.
In general I use about 90% industria argentina products, but these are some of my exceptions.
Another thing you just cant find in Argentina are decent quality plug strips, especially with USB ports and surge protection. Most of the Anker and similar brands sold in the US are 110/220, so its easy enough for me to just change the plugs.
Similar weird missing items- every architect I have ever known in the USA uses a roll of light yellow tracing paper for preliminary sketches. Cant get it here. I bring it down for my architect friends, they love it.
Many many things are easily findable. Other things just arent.

Back