Where can I avail self-defense training in BA

I wasn't picking on you, my apologies if it looked like I did.

Unfortunately, it seems you must go one way or the other (a prey or a predator-as seen by the lamb's eyes-), that is not the case. Also these seem to be sort of political stances, fervently defended/attacked. There's absolutely no point in doing that.

We must learn and teach our children. We must work with all the data available and not disregard some of it because it doesn't "please" us. There 's a lot of unpleasantness out there, denial won't make it go away. BTW tell that to Garré, now her statistics have noticeably improved, real life didn't get the memo, though.

I think anyone who attacks someone pointing a loaded gun at them for a Macbook Pro or an iPhone or money or any other material thing is pretty idiotic.

Compliance always works with people who are "stable". Sure, a professional robber points a gun at you and all he or she wants is for you to give him or her what you have and let him or her get away with it all. And that is exactly what you should do. Let the robber have everything they ask for because you can always buy it all back.

The problem is, everyone on this thread who jumps up and says "oh no, comply! Oh horror!" seems to forget that there are also plenty of "unstable" people like drug addicts or just plain insane people who don't really know what they want and will shoot just because they feel like it. This is highly unlikely of course, but it does and can happen.

My stance is that if its your life or the life of your loved ones on the line, you do not want to be in a helpless situation.

As for Krav Maga, disarming four guys or girls at the same time is probably not possible but it is quite possible to disarm one person using Krav Maga. Krav Maga is considered by many as the most practical way of defending yourself. I don't know how much you know about Krav Maga, sleslie, but one of the first things they teach you is that if you see trouble coming, run in the opposite direction. Krav Maga was created in the streets for the sole purporse of survival by people whom the police or the military didn't want to protect and at times those two forces were the enemy they needed protection from.

This has got nothing to do with hollywood or Chinese movies (would have been a more accurate reference). It also has got nothing to do with art (Karate). And last but not least, it has got nothing to do with your ego, if anything, any sane instructor of Krav Maga would tell you to take your ego and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Let's all be practical and not pretend to know about things we have no idea about.

PS: Just want to add that even disarming one person isn't a "piece of cake".

Fear not the gun, you'd be barking at the wrong tree.

The mortal enemy is the guy holding the gun. And he is either a professional, there to do a quick and effortless job, or a punk, who doesn't give a shit and has no life. So he doesn't have a clue what having a life means.

nicoenarg said:
I think anyone who attacks someone pointing a loaded gun at them for a Macbook Pro or an iPhone or money or any other material thing is pretty idiotic.

Compliance always works with people who are "stable". Sure, a professional robber points a gun at you and all he or she wants is for you to give him what you have and let him or her get away with it all. And that is exactly what you should do. Let the robber have everything they ask for because you can always buy it all back.

The problem is, everyone on this thread who jumps up and says "oh no, comply! Oh horror!" seems to forget that there are also plenty of "unstable" people like drug addicts or just plain insane people who don't really know what they want and will shoot just because they feel like it. This is highly unlikely of course, but it does and can happen.

My stance is that if its your life or the life of your loved ones on the line, you do not want to be in a helpless situation.

As for Krav Maga, disarming four guys or girls at the same time is probably not possible but it is quite possible to disarm one person using Krav Maga. Krav Maga is considered by many as the most practical way of defending yourself. I don't know how much you know about Krav Maga, sleslie, but one of the first things they teach you is that if you see trouble coming, run in the opposite direction. Krav Maga was created in the streets for the sole purporse of survival by people whom the police or the military didn't want to protect and at times those two forces were the enemy they needed protection from.

This has got nothing to do with hollywood or Chinese movies (would have been a more accurate reference). It also has got nothing to do with art (Karate). And last but not least, it has got nothing to do with your ego, if anything, any sane instructor of Krav Maga would tell you to take your ego and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Let's all be practical and not pretend to know about things we have no idea about.

PS: Just want to add that even disarming one person isn't a "piece of cake".

It's Friday and I have no interest at all in responding to your insinuation that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how you have convinced yourself you know which films I was thinking of? Not many of them were set in China. I'm not having much luck finding the words 'oh no' or 'horror' in my post. You can stop portraying me with hysterical emotions, it's neither polite nor constructive.

You can stop reading here Nicoenarg.

I'd strongly recommend any not trained in combat to a sufficient level (professionally trained over a number over an extended period) to avoid attempting to perform a risk assessment of a potential threat to ascertain whether violence is appropriate or not. I'd strongly recommend adopting the first principle of Krav Maga and legging it. If you need to create a distraction to give yourself space to run, please consider that an aggressive movement towards your assailant will classify you as a threat and they will respond with additional violence. If you can create a distraction like throwing valuables, large objectsto the ground to your left or right your attacker their attention will briefly be diverted. Time to run.

More useful than any fighting technique is the development of an awareness of your surroundings, an awareness of where other people are, an awareness of well lit areas and an awareness of where potential attacks might occur. Don't travel alone on foot in areas you're not familiar with at night.

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
It's Friday and I have no interest at all in responding to your insinuation that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not sure how you have convinced yourself you know which films I was thinking of? Not many of them were set in China. I'm not having much luck finding the words 'oh no' or 'horror' in my post. You can stop portraying me with hysterical emotions, it's neither polite nor constructive.

You can stop reading here Nicoenarg.

I was actually referring to sleslie's comment on Krav Maga, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Also about the movies, Chinese movies are more about martial arts, that's all I was referring to. The only things that I addressed from your post, not a reply to you but just words that you used were Hollywood and ego, the rest were not addressed to you or I would have used the QUOTE button.

What I wrote was mostly general, except for when I mentioned sleslie by name.

I hope that's clear now because I wasn't and neither am I right now trying to pick a fight or trying to "portray" you as anything.

Dublin2BuenosAires said:
I'd strongly recommend any not trained in combat to a sufficient level (professionally trained over a number over an extended period) to avoid attempting to perform a risk assessment of a potential threat to ascertain whether violence is appropriate or not. I'd strongly recommend adopting the first principle of Krav Maga and legging it. If you need to create a distraction to give yourself space to run, please consider that an aggressive movement towards your assailant will classify you as a threat and they will respond with additional violence. If you can create a distraction like throwing valuables, large objectsto the ground to your left or right your attacker their attention will briefly be diverted. Time to run.

More useful than any fighting technique is the development of an awareness of your surroundings, an awareness of where other people are, an awareness of well lit areas and an awareness of where potential attacks might occur. Don't travel alone on foot in areas you're not familiar with at night.

That's what I tried to say, but being myself a native from here, it seems all my posts are hardly attacked. It's a shame.
Second: any self defense teacher, if good, would tell anybody about the real self defense training, which is not only body training, but rather mind training.
There are three keys but I wouldn't mention them as they require a great commitment to be known. But I know them and any good self defense teacher should know them. They are nothing related to body at all.

BASailor said:
There are three keys but I wouldn't mention them as they require a great commitment to be known. But I know them and any good self defense teacher should know them.

paimai.jpeg

SERIOUSLY?

Suspense is killing me... :cool:

Nico,

I don't really have the desire to respond to all of your points. My example about 4 guys and Krag Maga was really to show that it, like other martial arts, often teaches how to react in hypothetical situations that would never be possible in real life. But you should search for Krag Maga on youtube. There are some amazing videos.

You pretty much agreed with my point in your PS. It isn't a piece of cake to disarm even one person.

Also, you are absolutely correct about unstable people pointing a gun at you. As you admitted, it's not a piece of cake to disarm anyone (even a Paco crazed madman). Not sure how much your brown belt Karate chop is going to help out.

Dublin2BuenosAires said:

You walk into your building, before you reach the elevator, you are held at gunpoint and taken to your apartment to be robbed. Can one avoid walking alone into the building at night....:confused: Self defense anyone:rolleyes:

Dublin2BuenosAires said:

This post should really be the end of this thread. Other than actually studying Krag Maga or another "practical" martial art, this advice is as good as you are going to get.

Back