Why Does Everyone Here Seem To Hate Buenos Aires So Much?

I don't think its hatred of Buenos Aires, more a general disappointment with a country that could offer so much to the world, drag itself out of the third world and regain its place near the top but instead seems hell bent on regressing even further.

You are right about the ice cream though, its pretty damn good, less dulce de leche would be nice though.

As for pizza's. I find the general pizza's tend to be a bit thick and doughy for my liking. I much prefer nice thin and crispy pizza's. They do exist but not in your general pizzeria. Romarios in Recoleta do a decent pizza.

Another thing to note is people wouldn't moan so much if they didn't care. The amount of moaning here really shows how much Expats care about Argentina.

It takes positive and negative viewpoints to stay informed. And, I'd hazard a guess, other people 'venting' has stopped me slipping up more times than people telling me how great something is.

When a member of the Buenos Aires Pub Crawl staff was attacked, there were plenty of negative posts about the state of Argentine justice. The thread also led to the perpetrators being identified. People were so pi*%ed off they took action.

A negative thread on Argentine police ripping off someone who was trying to get a tramite helped me out when the same thing happened to me. And the list goes on.

But, on a more simple level, if someone wants to say something negative, why not just let them? So what if they think the pizza here is crap. Why does that bother you?

We came here from London and are only staying for six months, so maybe not long enough to get really exasperated about everyday problems, but so far, I think BsAs is great. The weather is obviously much better than the UK, the vast majority of Argentines I work with, and those I have met outside of work, have been generous, polite and extremely friendly (much more so than your average Londoner). Transport is cheap and the driving is no worse than I see at home. So, in my opinion, it's really not all bad. That said, the food (and definitely pizza included here) is mediocre at best!

Chicaargentina, please rest assured that there are plenty of expats that do not hate BsAs...I would venture to guess that they are the majority and do not waste their time posting here on the forum. If they even know about this site, they come here to search for useful information, maybe sell some stuff in the Classifieds, and that's about it.

It takes positive and negative viewpoints to stay informed. And, I'd hazard a guess, other people 'venting' has stopped me slipping up more times than people telling me how great something is.
But, on a more simple level, if someone wants to say something negative, why not just let them? So what if they think the pizza here is crap. Why does that bother you?

This is all true and valid, but I thought one of Luciana's more interesting points was this:

"[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]but if someone actually wants to bring some positivity to the forum and post nice things about the city, it get millons of mocks from forumers, or people react angered to a person that actually wanted to say one or two nice things about the city."[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Whether we think about it or not, one of the things this forum provides is a window to our own cultures. Some of the board members are local. This is not a private conversation, but a public one. How would all these conversations play out if they were in castellano in a crowded resto-bar full of locals? We are carrying on like this in front of the very segment of the local population who have gone out of their way to learn English and take an interest in our community. In this fine point especially, that we publicly punish and chastise one another for saying *anything* positive, we are exploring the heights of arrogance. [/background]

There you go Luciana, a broad view from a handful of expats.
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder and no less so when you are in a place other than your own homeland.
From my point of view, hate is too strong a word to use, as from what I have seen, most who said they hated this place have already packed up or are just about to.
I've been here since 2005 when it was a land of milk and honey.
Not so now, which gives any and all of us good reason to have a rant.
See you at the next caserolazo!

Chicaargentina, you seem to forget one thing: most expats in BsArs compare quality of life elsewhere and yes, indeed, the quality of life in BsArs is decreasing by the day. Somethings were and will be always there, like this annoying mala onda porteña, the ignorance about anything, any country outside Argentina but willing to have an opinion about everything and every country, the rudeness in daily life. Those who have lived or live elsewhere, I'm not talking about Europe or the US but other South American countries, do know that these things won't happen with the volume in Argentina. And it's easy to say "why don't go away than?". Some people just can't go away for what ever reason.
I'm now in Medellin and discovered this life here is so much better but for work I have to go back to BsArs and I'm preparing myself to witness daily crap in services and goods, overcharged prices and all the daily "goodies" of BsArs.

"Hate" is such a strong word/feeling to throw it around lightly.
If you think this is hate you either do not understand the concept or your life if painfully shallow.

This place is a good place to look for positive/fresh approaches for our everyday routine. Life seens with different eyes than those of a born and raised here. There's plenty we see and don't register and it takes foreign eyes to bring to the spotlight.

Basically, if beauty is in the eye... you also have to think positively when you read the board to find what hides beyond the first sight.

We came here from London and are only staying for six months, so maybe not long enough to get really exasperated about everyday problems, but so far, I think BsAs is great. The weather is obviously much better than the UK, the vast majority of Argentines I work with, and those I have met outside of work, have been generous, polite and extremely friendly (much more so than your average Londoner). Transport is cheap and the driving is no worse than I see at home. So, in my opinion, it's really not all bad. That said, the food (and definitely pizza included here) is mediocre at best!

Yep thats what I thought in the first 6 months of being here

Buenos Aires is Numero UNO in South America for singles with a comfortable income in Dollars. Forget Lima, Asuncion, Quito, Panama?, Caracas, Santiago. Rio is the only other exciting alternative :wub:

Back