Word of the Day:

A word that I use a lot is "PORONGA" (the translation would be "dick")
careful!!!!, it's really awful...but when something doesnt work properly the phrase
"Esto es una poronga!!!" Is simply the best
A synonym of quilombo: despelote, also nice
How about our useful "boludo"??

One of my favourites: "Fierro" : gun...

or "natalia natalia" : an unknown person, suspect of a crime.

citygirl said:
today's word was "mona" as in "sos muy mona" mona apparently means sexy, cool, etc.

In Spain, mono or mona is used to mean 'cute.' I've tried to use it here and most of my Argie friends tell me it's antiquated. Although they understand it no one seems to use it.

citygirl said:
Porqueria - terrible, sucks, awful. Ej: Said I watching a terrible movie last night - La película es una porquería!

In addition to porqueria I also like to use boludez which has more of a "ridiculous" or "stupid" meaning: La pelicula es una boludez = "The movie is dumb/silly/not worthwhile."

As long as one has a strong understanding of how to use the words "lindo/feo," "claro/obvio," "rico/asqueroso," and "boludo," it's possible to communicate since these seem to be the most common words spoken here!

My word today was zarpada/o - my friend said to me "el chico me dijo una cosa muy zarpada!" In this instance, the person was using it as saying something someone said to her was very risque, over the top, not acceptable. (I think a synonym would be atrevido although maybe this is stronger?)

EliA said:
In addition to porqueria I also like to use boludez which has more of a "ridiculous" or "stupid" meaning: La pelicula es una boludez = "The movie is dumb/silly/not worthwhile."

Boludez can also mean "very easy" - El examen fue una boludez -

Santiago said:
It is also used to refer to most skins of fruits or vegetables, like bananas, oranges, apples, tomatoes, etc. E.g: "No me gusta comer la cáscara de manzana".

The skin of the tomatoes is called "piel" not "cáscara" :p

By the way why all the people are writing only vulgar and awful words? those words are not useful at all... besides the spanish language is full of beautiful words...

I´m argentinian but I think some spanish words sounds very nice:

- Ferrocarril
- Invierno
- Iluminar
- Celeste
- Acero
- Loor
- Azul
- Ojalá
- Lúgubre
- Rocío
- Relámpago

Homework for you: translate all those words :p

And there´s some amerindian words very used as well... for example: Gualicho or some geographic names like: Iguazú, Catamarca, Ambargasta, Ansenuza, Nahuel Huapi, Neuquén, Humahuaca, Iruya, Chaltén, Ischigualasto... I think it´s interesting to know the meaning of those amerindian words as well...

Piel is skin which you could eat & cascara is peel which you wouldn't eat.

Banana, orange, lemon, melons, = peel = cascara

Apples, peach, apricot, tomato = skin = piel

I see that you guys are doing very well, if any needs help pls let me know.
By the way, a couple of years ago there was a brazilian soap opera on tv (niña moza) showing the brazil of the late 1800¨s, during slavery times.
In it they showed a quilombo, a village hidden far away in the jungle which harbored dozen of escaped slaves and their families.
Good luck henry

Back