An Ex-Expat's Observations from the US

fifs2 said:
Nicole, I think I recall you saying you have been a year or so and seeing this post I wanted to write to tell you to stick with it in terms of making friends at least. Whilst Argentineans are some of the most social animals I know, for years I couldn't seem to make friends at any more than a superficial coffee, drinks level..which wasnt exactly easy to admit as it sounds like a personal failing to admit you have no real friends...suddenly 2 years ago (after 4 yrs here) I met my Mexican friend who is a real soul mate to me here, and then thereafter my Peruvian friend who has a wicked sense of humor, no pretenciousness and is again a very natural friend.
Talking to other expats there are many who echo my experience in that it's hard to move to the next level of friendship unless you are with an Argentinean boyfriend or husband. I'm sure younger expats who are here less time may not understand this situation but I just wanted to reassure you that with time I'm sure you will make meaningful friendships that will make up for the lack of local friends and family. Hugs.

That was a really sweet reply to Nicole's post <3

fifs2 said:
80 countries visited and you have that aggressive, chip-on-the-shoulder attitude of someone who never left their home town...maybe your world experience will be of some use in your next life cos it sure ain't performing any miracles in this one.

I have the biggest chip on my shoulder, you got that right. WHY? cause I see my country FALLING APART and no one does sh*t about it. The politicians (Repubs and Democrats) are all bought off cause they need the millions and millions for their campaigns (so Big Business rules - there's lobbyists crawling EVERYWHERE in Wash DC) and the people are too dumb and hypnotized with AMERICAN IDOL and DANCING WITH THE STARS to have a clue to what the F**K is going on. Our founders/fore fathers are spinning in their graves. We have MILITARY Presence/bases in something like 150 countries - FOR WHAT !?!?! Do you know how much that costs? (but yet no cash for universal Health Care for the American people, STUDENT LOANS are going through the roof for a simple effing EDUCATION !!! CUT THE MILITARY DOWN BY 50% AT LEAST. WHY ARE WE CONSTANTLY AT WAR?!?!?! - THINK ABOUT IT !!!)

My concept is effing simple - PUT THE PEOPLE FIRST, IN SCHOOL, IN HEALTH, IN CHILD CARE, IN SAFETY...... Did we vote for these bullsh*t phony wars? Nope, but my tax money pays for all this crap. You BET YOUR ASS I'M PISSED !!! What does visiting 80 countries have to do with my hard earned money being pissed away by the feds? Tax breaks for BILLIONAIRES and MULTI MILLIONAIRES? WTF is going on. The middle/upper middle class is disappearing, people are living in their cars - IS THIS AMERICA? I don't think so, it's been hijacked by some greedy, evil bastards IMO, I want it BACK !!!! What is SO HARD to understand !?!?!?

Dudester (pissed off and on fire)

I just changed my avatar so Dudester can creep out his girlfriend (again).

Sorry, I left my Robert Redford mask in Utah.

At 70, Bob needs it now more than I do.:p

steveinbsas said:
I think Jared should stand behind his post. There's no need to apologize for being right. His comments were far less insulting that many of yours and, unlike yours, his comments have a basis in reality.

Didn't you once say that you were a "professional" photographer or do you just take pictures when you travel? How many photo shop booths have you seen with paintings (or even the corners of paintings) in the background?

Of course you find me boring. This is the BAexpat website and most of my posts deal with expat life here. Since you are a pseudo expat (or wannabe at best) who trolls here I wouldn't expect you to be interested in most of the subjects in the forum.

I do wonder (with my double digit IQ) why you are rarely capable of making a point without being condescending or insulting. I find it a bit creepy that you showed my photo to your girlfriend (aka Girl Friend) just so you could add one more insult to you post.

Much better photo Steve. Would you just relax man. It's THE INTERNET, not a bar fight. Yeah, I am a Professional Photographer (as a second job that I love TRAVEL/FASHION/ABSTRACTS/PORTRAITS) but my main business comes first because I need the large income to run my vast empire. (just joking but it is about money and self employment, which I'm a very big fan of, when you get down to it) Just to correct a little something, I'm a "Part Time Expat" - I'm very tied into France in numerous ways - from business/financial to friendships. So relax Steve, have one of those great Brazilian drinks - CAIPIRINHA'S - love those things. Here's to our new friendship !!! Cheers, Dudester

A few more observations

-Cars are very clean, new and not dented

-The food portion sizes are huge

-Most people are very curious when they see me drinking Mate

soulskier said:
A few more observations

-Cars are very clean, new and not dented

-The food portion sizes are huge

-Most people are very curious when they see me drinking Mate

How soon before the tummy gets a bit fuller looking from all those unhealthy "Huge Portions"? Doggy bags are your best friend....

This is great, it's like a late 60's LOVE FEST (or it might just be the beginning of the Stones set at Altamont - they were cooking that night if you listen to the bootlegs - just fierce !!!) Only time will tell. Welcome back to the "Land of the free and home of the brave" SoulSkier (enjoy yourself. You were always a nice guy on the board, no problemo from this end) Dudester

Dudester said:
I have the biggest chip on my shoulder, you got that right. WHY? cause I see my country FALLING APART and no one does sh*t about it. The politicians (Repubs and Democrats) are all bought off cause they need the millions and millions for their campaigns (so Big Business rules - there's lobbyists crawling EVERYWHERE in Wash DC) and the people are too dumb and hypnotized with AMERICAN IDOL and DANCING WITH THE STARS to have a clue to what the F**K is going on. Our founders/fore fathers are spinning in their graves. We have MILITARY Presence/bases in something like 150 countries - FOR WHAT !?!?! Do you know how much that costs? (but yet no cash for universal Health Care for the American people, STUDENT LOANS are going through the roof for a simple effing EDUCATION !!! CUT THE MILITARY DOWN BY 50% AT LEAST. WHY ARE WE CONSTANTLY AT WAR?!?!?! - THINK ABOUT IT !!!)

My concept is effing simple - PUT THE PEOPLE FIRST, IN SCHOOL, IN HEALTH, IN CHILD CARE, IN SAFETY...... Did we vote for these bullsh*t phony wars? Nope, but my tax money pays for all this crap. You BET YOUR ASS I'M PISSED !!! What does visiting 80 countries have to do with my hard earned money being pissed away by the feds? Tax breaks for BILLIONAIRES and MULTI MILLIONAIRES? WTF is going on. The middle/upper middle class is disappearing, people are living in their cars - IS THIS AMERICA? I don't think so, it's been hijacked by some greedy, evil bastards IMO, I want it BACK !!!! What is SO HARD to understand !?!?!?

Dudester (pissed off and on fire)

Dudester...I'm slightly confused by this post. I don't live in the U.S. but I am certainly still attached as it seems you are.

I also believe the country is going to shit in a hand-basket...bad!

What I don't get, is other than healthcare and defense, you are stating the EXACT same thing that the people you love to hate, aka Beck, Palin, Rush, are stating.

A Govt mandated health care plan is unconstitutional and will be struck down...HOWEVER, yes, the system is busted bad and needs to be fixed...by private industry, the Govt will only make it worse. Right now, our national safety is at risk 24/7. Until that changes, I still support having a strong global military presence.

The govt should offer grants and investment dollars ONLY (no ownership or management) in Education, Infrastructure, R&D, domestic GROWTH initiatives, that is what we should be focused on, 100%.

I made a comment a few months back that I was attacked for (by many). We really need to go back to the original principles of the country and constitution...MINIMAL GOVT, and free enterprise...true free enterprise. If not, we are all going to be speaking Mandarin, and God damnit...Mandarin is the ugliest sounding language on the planet.

And we should legalize pot...

"everything's better with a bag of weed"
Stewie Griffin

Yes, we should legalize pot (guess who one of the big blockers of legalization is - Pharma. Big losses if people can grow it in their backyards and substitute it for some expensive Pharma meds). I agree with TRUE FREE ENTERPRISE but some industries do not practice that. There's no competition in the drug industry. The Antibiotic Erythromycin costs 10 times more here than in Paris - WTF is THAT all about? One of my customers is a very stressed out woman, she's about 5 years away from Medicare. She got some sleeping pills ($320 for 30, too new for a generic) and Zanax ($160 for 90 non generic - lower price since there is a generic but she's scared of stuff maybe made in China) she can't afford health care so her daughters had to pay for it. Again, I'm sure this stuff is about 90% less in France/Europe - there's no competition - it's a monopoly - that's not free enterprise.

President Eisenhower warned us about the "Military Industrial Complex" in his farewell speech in very late 1960 or early 61 (this is a 5 Star GENERAL talking !!!) He warned us about it and it's here. Yeah , we need to defend ourselves but not go fight over oil. It's always Oil. And Iran is NOT going to nuke Israel, it - Iran - would become an INSTANT DESERT from the US nuke missiles sent back in a split second. The War machine is alive and well because it makes TONS of money and changes the power balance.

Ah, don't even get me started on CHINA or the US BANKS. That's a couple pages each. Yeah we are not so far apart, when does the revolution begin? All the Best, Dudester

steveinbsas said:
Isn't it time for this thread to be sent to the world politics forum?;)

No, the knackery.

Perhaps they'll take the Dudester too.

Back