Another CFK Corralito

I'm not a fan of Cristina's, but I'd suggest reading the following article:
http://www.salon.com/2011/11/07/argentinas_president_irks_u_s_pundits/singleton/

It actually give the Kirchners some props for their policies and the improvements they have made for the country, including this statement:

Unemployment has dropped by half since 2003. After decades of widening ineqality, the income gap that separates the wealthy from the middle class and the poor is finally diminishing. The percentage of the population in extreme poverty has declined from nearly 20 percent in 2002 to an astounding 2.4 percent in 2009. Meanwhile the income share of the top decile has fallen below 34 percent from its 2002 high-water mark of nearly 40 percent. Argentina may not yet have regained its standing in the eyes of the world’s investment banks, but it has recovered its middle class.

Very interesting article...

Sleuth said:
I'm not a fan of Cristina's, but I'd suggest reading the following article:
http://www.salon.com/2011/11/07/argentinas_president_irks_u_s_pundits/singleton/

It actually give the Kirchners some props for their policies and the improvements they have made for the country, including this statement:

Very interesting article...

I respectfully thank you for the read, however most of their stats are comparing today to 2003 when the crisis had just ended, so of course numbers will be skewed. And even then I still don't agree with the article because it's just downright wrong. Salon.com is also a liberal tabloid and are about as unbiased as Sean Hannity.

The Salon article is interesting but not written by someone with an understanding of economics.

It's hard to ignore that the K's did a lot to help the poor and bring the prosperity to a middle class that is apparent to the eye here in BA--full restaurants, lots of folks with credit cards, a booming Starbucks generation. But the issue is that what they did to bring this about is not sustainable.

Thus the desperate moves just days after the election. Can a middle class grow here without foreign investment? Can a real estate market based on pesos not fall? Can AR not seriously devalue the peso when Brazil is seriously devaluing the Real? Can the government keep on spending the way they have been with zero access to international debt markets?

It all was never sustainable. Kind of like Obama's stabs at stimulus. Eventually reality must be dealt with.

I was with gsi all the way up to the herman cain reference.

It makes me sick to see what the government is doing to the good people of this country all the while the voting majority seems to do nothing except for bend over and grab their ankles.

kurtdillard said:
That's an incredibly offensive statement. The vast majority of people don't choose to be poor, they get stuck there due to circumstances beyond their control, very often circumstances created by the wealthy and powerful who actually run countries. You're naive if you believe that CFK doesn't have the support of lots of rich Argentinians. It seems to me that she's split the rich and pandered to the less well-to-do in order to stay in office.

I grew up a 'lower class piece of sh!t' but with luck and tons of hard work have built a successful middle-class career. Unfortunately only a small fraction of the poor have even a remote chance to achieve what I have because the systems are rigged against them. I have many friends here and in the US who you would call 'pieces of sh!t,' most of them work harder than I do but just can't get a break.

"Unfortunately only a small fraction of the poor have even a remote chance to achieve what I have because the systems are rigged against them."

This is the insulting and offensive statement. Oh...poor poor people don't have any opportunities. That is exactly what the Government wants you to think...my God. I guess every poor person will always just remain poor. Damn "system" Give me a break.

bradlyhale said:
Another CFK Corralito? When was the first one? It would be nice if the "marketplace of ideas" could vote down threads like this, like YouTube video comments, in order to allow it to sink into some dark abyss.

Yeah! Down with free speech!! If they don't agree with you, just flush it down the toilet.

I was going to say something....

...but then I thought, what for?

Why to lose my time which is not of much value anyway with this kind of people, really doesn't make sense or the effort to give some credit to them they do not deserve even my undervalued time, so I decided to 'let it be' as in the Beatles song. I only wish the worst of luck to them and hope that they are very, very unlucky in reaching their nefarious goals for this country shake.

Update: to the 'clones'

This goes for you guys as well JWB, gsi16386...by "thanks" me you both want to confuse people as you do with the newspapers you read and support they use the same tactics...but I'm sorry to tell you guys that these "tactics" will NOT work here....try them somewhere else.

Maybe you guys are all mis interpreting gsi's statements. I'm hoping that the intent wasn't that the people who are voted for christina are PP.O.S because they're poor. Rather, I suspect that gsi meant they are pieces of shit because they are actively trying to destroy the quality of life for 40 million people and drive a great country into the ground.

PhilipDT said:
Maybe you guys are all mis interpreting gsi's statements. I'm hoping that the intent wasn't that the people who are voted for christina are PP.O.S because they're poor. Rather, I suspect that gsi meant they are pieces of shit because they are actively trying to destroy the quality of life for 40 million people and drive a great country into the ground.

Exactly. I'm in the unique position to point fingers because I grew up an orphan, poor, lunch tickets at school, all that. However, I was fortunate enough to have been born in the greatest country in the world (in my humble opinion) where opportunities are endless and you can become anything you want. Anything...all it took was hard work and dedication.

When I came here to Argentina, I noticed down here it's a different type of poor. A poor with no opportunity. Yes there is free schooling, but what happens after you become educated and get out of school? you make less than a streetsweeper, that's what. You start making some decent coin, set it aside in the bank, invest in your country and it's pension funds, then WHAP, they take it from you. Yet if you don't take on that college education, become a schluff, thief, etc, then you'll continue to get handouts (and still pay no taxes to contribute to society). You don't have to worry about them taking anything because you weren't productive and didn't build anything up, so "what's all the fuss about with the productive ones??" DO YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG HERE??

So round and round we go....there's no opportunity, so no one wants to work, the country doesn't grow, only a select few see the moral duty to become successful/educated and pay taxes, which in turn (by way of taxes) goes to the worthless pieces of sh!t that do nothing, but it just so happens there's more worthless pieces of sh!t rather than productive citizens so she continues to get reelected. Meanwhile the rich are still lavishley growing soy on their campos while the ratrace between the middle class and poor continues. This country will not grow with her in office and she's lucky as hell that Soy is in demand. The poor will continue to be poor and the middle class will continue to fight a losing battle because they will always be the ones that bail the country out in a time of need. NOT the poor and sure as hell not the rich because they have Christina in their back pockets. That is why I think those 50%+ that voted for CFK are all a bunch of worthless morons.

(I feel the same about Obama supporters, but that's a whole other argument) LOL

Back