Best Pizza in BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
HDM - I have also been snobbishly searching (in vain) for a true Napoletano pizza. I've heard Piola is the closest thing they have in BsAs - I'll have to check it out. I've been to Io Te Amasso - it was good, but not the best. I think we just have to come to grips with the fact that once you've been to Naples (and especially da Michele) pizza will never be the same.

cujodu said:
I think it's my pizza, I found recipes for Papa John's pizza on the internet and recreated it here at home. It's almost an exact duplicate of PJ's pizza. I think all the pizza here pretty much sucks.
Fraid for once I agree. The pizzas here are not to my taste, I like a Good King Wenslaslas pizza myself (deep pan crisp and even) :D most of the pizzas I have had here have been loaded with sloppy mozzarela.
Of course I would be glad if anyone could tell me where you can get a well cooked deep pan from or even what I should ask for.
You can get a good pizza from Jumbo, then of course it will be cooked exactly as you like it, as you have to cook it yourself.
Call me a philistine, but I like Pizza hut, non in Buenos Aires are there???

Never had a decent piece of pizza in NYC- cardboard crust, frozen paper think peperoni, canned tomato sauce... And every single place is named Ray's.

The original Spago's pizza in LA is much better- although not the ones in airports.

In Naples, my favorite is the slices of really thick crust, macaroni and cheese pizza- its kind like a Fugazzeta here. But without the onions.

As mentioned, Baffetto in Rome is my personal hands down favorite world wide.
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Da+Baffetto Rome&w=all

See that guy cooking em? He has what we call a "pizza muscle".

I disagree about the taxi gourmet- I have probably tried 20 of her picks, and, by and large, I liked most of em. She does not love, or hate, every one- her reviews range across the board, and I skip the ones she doesnt like.
La Mezzetta rocks.
And I am with her about the Bondiola stand on Dorego down in the park- killer, cheap, and great atmosphere.

She turned me on to Vicente, and it is great. Reasonably priced, great versions of the porteno standards.

I agree with the liking for La Mezzetta, the pizza is very tasty, fast service and always hot and fresh. There is also a great ice cream shop directly accross the street from La Mezzetta right on Alvarez Thomas called Francessco, try two awesome flavors - "Black Orange" and "Manzana Verde".

Interesting that both of the Papa Johns recipes include that old american standby- Sugar.

A lot of mass market american food, especially in the south, features copious quantities of sugar. That could be one reason that folks hooked on american pizza dont like Argentine pizza- no sugar.

The argentines like dessert just fine, but have not succumbed to the american tradition of putting corn syrup in every food group.

In the USA, you get salad dressing, meat sauces, seafood, vegetable dishes, pastas, and most everything else loaded with sugar.

Its no coincidence that Coca Cola, Dr. Pepper, and Pepsi were all invented in the american south.

I guess that is one reason I am a big fan of Argentine pizza, as opposed to commercial US pizza- I dont like sugar on all my food. And argentines seldom use any sugar on their pizza, even in their tomato sauces.

Interesting comment about sugar being added to every food in the US, however here's a fact from somebody in the food business - many items such as certain commercial brands of chocolate, flavored yogurt, and snack type items, when tested for the argentine market, were deemed NOT SWEET ENOUGH when they were tested here. So 25% more sugar was added to the recipie and the items were more well received and are manufactured that way when sold here. The same goes for foods with cream and milk, they have about 1/3 more cream in Argentina than when sold in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back