Blacks in BA ?

But in the case of Africans I'm positive there were a lot in the 1800s so that's why I'm still rather obsessed about the isssue.

Many died remaining in the south of the city during the yellow fever and cholera outbreaks of the 1870's, many black males were sent north to fight in the Guerra de la Triple Alianza and thus the remaining females tended to mix with the criollo population (they say a significant number of portenos have some African blood). Of the few that returned from the war many preferred to stay in Uruguay where there was still a large community of African descent.

True abnout the War, but there's still something fishy about blaming the yellow fever epidemic which is the official story....

I recently discovered, that there is a small town in Santiago de Estero province where all its inhabitants are black families ( around 250 families )

Matt84 said:
Also, there are no Indians and South East asians in Argentina, and I think that's a shame.

Now i relize why the food scene is so bland in Buenos Aires.

Also, there are no Indians and South East asians in Argentina, and I think that's a shame. But in the case of Africans I'm positive there were a lot in the 1800s so that's why I'm still rather obsessed about the isssue.

Epidemics and war caused the reduction of the black population as well as gauchos and indians. But the most accurate explanation for the "lack" of black people in Argentina is the most simple one, immigration.

Yes, Argentina had a large black population in the XIX cent., large in relative terms. Numbers vary, some say they were 30%, others 60% of the population of Buenos Aires. But whatever the number, we are talking about a period were the city had very small population, 40000 by 1810 and roughly 80000 in the mid XIX cent.

So, if you then count the abrupt growth of the city and the millions of immigrants that arrived, then in a very short time span, the black population was no longer that visible. Later on most of the blacks mixed with other ethnicities, wich is why even the black descendants in Argentina (such as Fidel Nadal) dont look like your tipical african black men.

Here is the article about the town with black only inhabitants in Santiago del Estero.

http://www.criticadigital.com/impresa/index.php?secc=nota&nid=32157

And also:

Se viene la semana afro en la Argentina

Por tercer año consecutivo, el INADI realizará “Argentina también es Afro”, jornadas político-culturales de reflexión, visibilización y reclamo del movimiento afroargentino. Organizadas junto a la Embajada de Brasil, se podrá participar de mesas de debate, obras de teatro y una ceremonia de tambores con grupos como La Chiringa (Argentina) y Afroreagge (Brasil). Se realizará entre el 9 y el 15 de noviembre próximo.

http://inadi.gov.ar not on their website yet

I wonder how a soul food rest. would do down here? :) hehe, anyhow, Matt that was one thing I noticed, I've been very tentive about Mugging. I haven't had the experience yet, nor do I want to. But, I can't help but wonder.. Will I get mugged because of my appearance? When I think about it.. I'm sorta, Muscular, that may run them off.. haha

I am a black female from Texas that is now living in BA I have had many conversations with Argentinos about Blacks. They tend to have a lot of questions and random comments I have heard everything from how do you wash your hair (I have locks) to could you talk like a black person because you should like a white girl (?) this guy also told me that I was the first African-American that he had ever talked to. My all time fav. was when an Argentino tried to explain why there were no blacks and how they died here and he thought it was the most hilarious thing ever! I personally think it’s funny.

Back