Blacks in BA ?

@winston:

Yeah, there's some pretty serious institutionalized racism here in Argentina. And unlike most other New World countries, there isn't much of an effort here to shine any light on the sins of the nation's past. The history has been white-washed and those who enjoy the benefits of a couple of centuries of racism and genocide would simply prefer to not look back.

My girlfriend is from here and she's told me some pretty ridiculous stories about the education she's received here. Like when her teacher in primary school handed out maps of Europe and asked everyone to color in the country that they are from. And how, for the most part, her history classes, from primary school through university, have focused either on how Argentina (and the rest of Latin America) has been shaped by its various relationships with Europe (colonization, immigration, trade, emulation, etc.) or on how the US is a big, terrible bully.

Argentine "European"-ness is constantly reinforced. When my girlfriend and I went to Mexico, she couldn't believe that they had indigenous leaders on their money and that they celebrated their thousands of years of history everywhere; in subway stations, in the fabulous museums in Mexico City, in the simple awareness that most people can trace their roots to the great pre-Colombian civilizations that the Spanish were kind enough to almost completely wipe out.

And who is on the money here: Sarmiento, Mitre, Roca. You can get some sense of a nation's values by simply looking at its money and when you have some seriously racist folks who carried out genocides on your money it's doubtful that the population cares very much about such things. And many, of course, are glad those genocides happened. Fewer negros de mierda in their "European" Argentina.

But, as an American (er, from the US for those here who might be sensitive about people from the US hogging the term "American"), I know for a fact that diversity is a strength, and racism a weakness, and I'm a competitive son of a bitch. So, if countries like Argentina want to continue to shoot themselves in the foot by disenfranchising much of their population, well, best of luck to them. But it's certainly one of the reasons why the US won't have any real competition in the western hemisphere for a good long time.

MendozaNow: do you know "Plaza Falucho" on Av.Santa Fe and L.M. Campos ???
i don't see all that "hiding the truth" about blacks in ARG, i have been taught at school about Cabral, Falucho, how all the blacks where sent to the wars,etc or the "Campañas del Desierto" and the extermination of the indian people

Actually i think that if there is one country in the world that absolutely loves to constantly revolve and dwell on the misery of its past, thats Argentina alright.

winston said:
I see nothing but white white European people on Argentinian TV, commercial, in magazine ads, etc. I bet the media isnt that homogeneous in Finland! I live here full time, while the county has more european looking people than some other countries in South America, I see mixed race Argentines all day (mix of indigenous, black, etc).

So, I often wonder what all of those non white Argenine kids think of their future when they never ever see anyone like themselves on tv dramas, reporting the news, on any Arg. TV show or in advertising. No way! Argentine ads have cute blonde pure white kids.

Dont take my word for it, just turn on the Arg. TV channels or buy a magazine. You'll see! (why do you think nearly all Arg. job ads require a photo? They arent racist, its just that it wouldnt look good for the office!)

TV commercials are mostly aimed at those ppl who can actually buy those things. I work at two private schools and most of my stds are "european-Model" looking. ME? 1.60mts, brown curly hair, brownish skin (grandma had a paraguayan father) Stereotypes are a huge problem in Argentina, unluckily the root of it is education, and I dont see that changing any time soon :(

fedecc said:
Actually i think that if there is one country in the world that absolutely loves to constantly revolve and dwell on the misery of its past, thats Argentina alright.

Well, of course we do!!!!
We whine about ALL the terrible things that have happened to us, and how good we are, how hard working we are, and we blame the government, and other countries and the "horrible state of the education" , and we get angry if other presidents call our president "chanta". When we know he/she is, but how come...and blahblahblah...

We bitch about everything!!!
BUT I NEVER heard a person take responsibility for voting the horrible presidents, for bribing a police officer not to get a parking ticket, for trying to take advantage of everything.

Everything that has happened and still happens is OUR FREAKING RESPONSIBILITY and unless we understand this and DO something to change...we'll keep being....well Argentina...

It's 8:48...I must have woken on the wrong side of the bed...Not a morning person...LOL

SFNY said:
PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you find a place to get your haircut. I guess I'm going to buy some clippers today, but I'm a pretty vain person. And I know this is not going to be a good situation.

Thanks.

An African-American looking for a fade

Excuse my ignorance but what is so different about haircuts for Afro Americans? A good place to start could be asking at one of the fairs the guys with dreadlocks (?) or maybe on Corrientes avenue, there are several vendors that are originary from Africa and live close to Once neighborhood, they must have some barber they go to (?) Just a couple of ideas :)

being a person of african descent with dreadlocks and a few recessive genes that grant me a lighter skin tone, I know that my appearance confuses people here; the constatant stares are annoying... kids, dogs, etc

i hate it when girls touch my locks in clubs, just to see what they feel like. In Brazil, touching someone's hair has a completely different connotation. I find that the longer I stay in this city, the more I prefer girls from Columbia and Venezuela. The only reason I like Brazilian girls is because they have a french/swedish attitude toward sex. The Argentines in the south are a lot friendlier, the german influence??? These Portenos have this Italian THING going on... its a shame that its a southern Italian thing.

good luck with finding a barber. i had the same problem while attending grad school in santa barbara. i can honestly say, I see more black people here than there... then again I'm in San Telmo.

Wow, I've read some really good responses that provide insight along with history about BA and Blacks; I also realize that some of you are still living with a high level of ignorance, none the less.... BA is a great city and since I started this thread a week ago I've seen at least 9 Blacks. You'll be interested to know that I did get a haircut and it was terrible, couldn't have been butchered more at a meat shop. So I'm awaiting my departure to back to Tampa, FL, so that I can get some type of hair repair if there is such a thing. I must say my experience here in BA has been great, I've experience no racism, Funny thing is I've been ask to be in pictures, which was odd, almost like some people have not seen blacks in person before... and I get stares when at dinner or other places, but that's stuff I'm use to since I travel allot and have been other places where there are few blacks. My profession will bring me back here and I almost considered moving here, but just can't leave Florida. For those that are living here, continue to enjoy what is unique about this place you live, the nice people, the arts, the parks, the sculptures and you have much more. Until next time

nikad said:
Excuse my ignorance but what is so different about haircuts for Afro Americans? A good place to start could be asking at one of the fairs the guys with dreadlocks (?) or maybe on Corrientes avenue, there are several vendors that are originary from Africa and live close to Once neighborhood, they must have some barber they go to (?) Just a couple of ideas :)

You'll be interested to know that I did get a haircut and it was terrible, couldn't have been butchered more at a meat shop. So I'm awaiting my departure to back to Tampa, FL, so that I can get some type of hair repair if there is such a thing.

Ackkk sorry to hear :( You might want to post here the address of the butcher just so other fellows can avoid him ;) After reading this, I guess a specialized barber could be a good business opportunity here :) Have a safe trip back home.

travelking said:
You'll be interested to know that I did get a haircut and it was terrible, couldn't have been butchered more at a meat shop. So I'm awaiting my departure to back to Tampa, FL, so that I can get some type of hair repair if there is such a thing.

Back