FBI Background Check

BetoTaca

Registered
I'm going through the process of taking my residency here in Argentina. However, they asked me for a FBI background check, I would like to know what's the best and quickest way to get that done from here in Argentina.

Any recomendation about this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the link to the FBI record request that you'll have to print out with the accompanying fingerprint "card". The hardest problem will be getting the finger prints done here as the police departments typically don't like doing this service (it's free) when they see FBI. They might not be willing to sign off either. Once you have them, just mail them to the FBI and they'll be processed in two or three weeks. If you need them faster, you can include the proper shipping envelope. If you need any more advice, let me know. Good luck.

The problem I ran into was (at least several years ago) the FBI would NOT send the report internationally. You have to have it sent somewhere in the US, and then get it sent here.

I got my fingerprints from the comisaria in Recoleta, and tipped the guy who did it 10 pesos. We both laughed about how it was the first time anyone had ever paid him to do it!

Good luck!

David

I am going through the residency process as well. I have also seen others go through it. I have hired a lawyer to help me through this, and I would suggest the same to anyone who doesn't want to deal with all the BS, and not pay very much for the pleasure of leaving that behind.

On the FBI background check and the fingerprinting, for example, my lawyer is handling everything for me. I filled out the FBI form that he supplied me, and he sent it to the States to be processed. He took me down to a police station near his office and got me fingerprinted on the right form and everything, made sur the fingerprints were of good quality, etc.

Both of those items need to be apostiled in the States before they're sent back. That's another important thing. It can be expensive if you have to hire a service to get this done, from here. My lawyer has a mail drop box with a reputable package company in the States (don't remember the name).

He even sent away to get my birth certifcate, and will get it apostiled as well.

He accompanies me to everything that I need to do, talking to the immigration workers and speeds through most processes because he knows people and knows the process.

As far as cost - he charges U$S 300 for permanent residency, and another U$S 300 to get the DNI. Plus incidental US fees that are involved, like the FBI fee, fee to get birthcertificate, etc. Delivery of DNI within 2-4 months from the start of the process.

I've seen lawyers who are charging as high as $2500 for the whole process! If you look for a lawyer, make sure you get one who is immigration certified (there is a specialty, and they will have a special card issued by the immigration office). Make sure he or she doesn't work by themselves - often junior lawyers will be available to take you places when the boss isn't available. Get references from someone if possible as to who to use.

Of course, it's possible to get through the process on your own. I have a friend who got his temporary residency himself, and cursed it all the way. To get his permanent residency and his DNI, he found this lawyer and things just sailed through.

One note about the FBI prints being apostiled/certified - the FBI will NOT do this. If you ask them to, they'll simply include a note saying that they do not certify the fingerprints/results. It will have to be translated and certified by the college of translators here, however.

I did everything on my own to get my work visa, so if anyone finds themselves not knowing how to proceed or get something done, send me a message.

Pido disculpas por escribir en Español, es mi unico idioma.
Soy la pareja de la persona que abrió el hilo, la misma persona que lo acompaña a cada tramite y es por mi que el esta en Argentina.
Me siento impotente, solo queremos vivir una vida juntos aqui. Para ello necesita trabajar, por eso comenzamos a tramitar la residencia.

El dejo todo por mi, su Pais, su trabajo, su familia y ahora luego de casi 1 año de vivir juntos, alquilando un pequeño departamentito, el dinero se acabo, y con ello la esperanza de estar juntos tambien.
La ultima cachetada fue hace 4 dias, cuando nos pidieron los antecedentes policiales que anteriormente relata mi novio.
Unos dias antes le habian ofrecido un trabajo aqui, estabamos felices los 2. con ello no tendriamos que separarnos, pero a ultimo momento le dijeron que no, por que faltaban papeles.
No tenemos alternativas, el se volvera a Estados Unidos, yo no puedo seguirlo ya que la Embajada de Estados Unidos no me concede la Visa.

Hare mi ultimo intento de tratar de conseguir sus huellas en la policia de aqui, para enviarlas al FBI, pero luego de leer sus experiencias y viendo los tiempos que se manejan no me queda otra que ver todo negro.

Gracias a todos por haberle respondido, y disculpen mi catarsis.
Estoy triste, impotente, viendo como el amor de mi vida tiene que regresar a su pais sin mi, y ver atónita como se destruyen ilusiones por una burda burocracia.

Maru. de Vicente Lopez, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Maru:

Has roto mi corazón! Puedo imaginar lo que estan enfrentando en este momento. He pasado por momentos muy incierto a mí mismo. Casi tuve que dejar mi esposa, una paraguaya, aquí en Buenos Aires y regresar a los EE.UU. en el pasado. Yo no podría rápidamente obtener una visa para ella de los EE.UU. y no podía apoyar a alguno de nosotros aquí en la Argentina como no tenía residencia tampoco. Eran tiempos muy feos y realmente entiendo tu dolor.

Cuando dices que la embajada de EE.UU. no te concedia una visa a ti, de que Visa intentaste de sacar? Será muy difícil o imposible obtener una visa de turista en muchas circunstancias, pero una visa de novia es otra historia. Se puede tomar algún tiempo y esfuerzo, pero deberías ser capaz de obtener una visa de novia.

Hay algunos requisitos. Puede ir a la pagina web de la embajada de EE.UU. y leer acerca de ellos - Creo que tienen una versión en español. Pero una vez aprobado (he oído que podría tardar de 4 meses a un año de obtener aprobación) puedes pasar allí y tienen 90 días desde tu llegada a casarse. A partir de entonces, serias capaz de vivir y trabajar legalmente.

Si fueras a casarse con él aquí (si es que él puede volver), sería más fácil conseguir una visa de un matrimonia. Eso es lo que estoy trabajando ahora mismo para mi esposa.

Si ustedes dos se encuentran enamorados y desea mantener sus relaciónes, puede ser difícil, pero es posible estar juntos de nuevo.

What exactly are they looking at in your FBI back ground check? Just that you aren't wanted? Are there certain crimes that if you committed them you cannot become a resident?

Maru, yo acabo de recibir mi FBI report la semana pasada.

Yo soy Venezolana pero vivi en los EEUU los tres últimos años y me exigieron el FBI report. Todo el mundo me había dicho que demoraba unos seis meses pero te cuento que a mi me llego en 6-8 semanas.

Fui a la embajada de EEUU aca y ellos me dieron una ficha para llenarla con mis huellas digitales, para lo que fui a la policiía de Plaza Italia. Ellos me tomaron las huellas y eso lo envié a mi esposo en EEUU, él lo envió con el money order al FBI (la dirección que está en el link que ya te dieron) y la carta de petición que esta en el mismo link.

Yo voy la semana que viene por tercera vez a inmigración. Entiendo exactamente por lo que está pasando tu esposo, es frustrante, pero tranquila que todo sale bien! Yo llevo cinco meses aqui en BsAs con un empleador esperandome (gracias a Dios es paciente) sin poder hacer nada.

No dudes en mandarme un mensaje si quieres mas información, estaré encantada de ayudar a alguien...

Saludos!

BetoTaca said:
Pido disculpas por escribir en Español, es mi unico idioma.
Soy la pareja de la persona que abrió el hilo, la misma persona que lo acompaña a cada tramite y es por mi que el esta en Argentina.
Me siento impotente, solo queremos vivir una vida juntos aqui. Para ello necesita trabajar, por eso comenzamos a tramitar la residencia.

El dejo todo por mi, su Pais, su trabajo, su familia y ahora luego de casi 1 año de vivir juntos, alquilando un pequeño departamentito, el dinero se acabo, y con ello la esperanza de estar juntos tambien.
La ultima cachetada fue hace 4 dias, cuando nos pidieron los antecedentes policiales que anteriormente relata mi novio.
Unos dias antes le habian ofrecido un trabajo aqui, estabamos felices los 2. con ello no tendriamos que separarnos, pero a ultimo momento le dijeron que no, por que faltaban papeles.
No tenemos alternativas, el se volvera a Estados Unidos, yo no puedo seguirlo ya que la Embajada de Estados Unidos no me concede la Visa.

Hare mi ultimo intento de tratar de conseguir sus huellas en la policia de aqui, para enviarlas al FBI, pero luego de leer sus experiencias y viendo los tiempos que se manejan no me queda otra que ver todo negro.

Gracias a todos por haberle respondido, y disculpen mi catarsis.
Estoy triste, impotente, viendo como el amor de mi vida tiene que regresar a su pais sin mi, y ver atónita como se destruyen ilusiones por una burda burocracia.

Maru. de Vicente Lopez, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Popper said:
One note about the FBI prints being apostiled/certified - the FBI will NOT do this. If you ask them to, they'll simply include a note saying that they do not certify the fingerprints/results. It will have to be translated and certified by the college of translators here, however.

I did everything on my own to get my work visa, so if anyone finds themselves not knowing how to proceed or get something done, send me a message.

Hi Popper,

I am ready to send my fingerprints to the FBI for the background check in the process of applying for residency here. I´ll need the background check apostilled, though. How did you get yours to the apostile office, get the apostile put on it, then get it mailed back to you in AR?

Thanks,

Kimberly

Back