FBI Background Check

NYKate

Registered
:)Hi! I was wondering if there was a strict time frame in which the background check must be dated as? I am going to be married to an Argentine in June and understand that I need this to complete my documentation. If I requested it now, would it be too old?

Thanks in advance!!!

Migraciones will not accept it if it is over six months old. You probably can't apply for residency until after you are married, so perhaps you should wait another couple months to order the report (which can take up to eight weeks).

Thanks! I wanted to get a head start on obtaining the documentation. We are getting married here and then he is going back a few days after the wedding. I will follow after I can get my documentation (including the marriage cert and birth cert) and have them apostilled and we will have it translated down there by a friend who has a service. Wanted to make the time period that we will be away from each other shorter. Guess I will have to just be patient!! :eek:

You can get a head start obtaining your birth certificate (and your husband's), marriage certificate (once you're married), your passport, and husband's DNI. If you'll apply for the visa at the Argentine Consulate in NY you should check with them to see if they have any other requirements. The police records, as Steve said, should be obtained closer to the date they will be used. Birth and marriage certificates as well as police records must be legalized by an apostille (except your husband's, which will be issued in Argentina). All documents must be translated into Spanish by an Argentine public translator. If your passport is plurilingual (US passports are) you won't need to translate it.
As for the police records, it will depend on where you will apply for the visa. If you apply once you are in Argentina, you will need federal records (issued by the FBI), if you apply at the Argentine consulate in NY, you will need police records issued by the local police department of all places you have lived in for the past 5 years.

Thank you! Yes, we are going to apply in Argentina as the process will be faster than doing it in NY (according to my future husbands lawyer friends). I will hold off obtaining copies of my documentation until closer to the wedding date.
:)

Hi Kate. Just to chime in, I sent my fingerprints in in late November and still have not gotten the report back, but after 3 calls they did finally confirm that they had received it. Supposedly your info is not immediately put into the computer even before they start processing it. I am also marrying an Argentine, but here, and in March. Here is the number to have so you can call and check for peace of mind once you do send them in: FBI CJIS Division – Record Request 304-625-5590.

allcraz said:
Hi Kate. Just to chime in, I sent my fingerprints in in late November and still have not gotten the report back, but after 3 calls they did finally confirm that they had received it. Supposedly your info is not immediately put into the computer even before they start processing it. I am also marrying an Argentine, but here, and in March. Here is the number to have so you can call and check for peace of mind once you do send them in: FBI CJIS Division – Record Request 304-625-5590.

Thanks! Geeze thats a long time! I am living in NY right now and am expediting my request so we'll see how long it takes for me. Probably a month but I really hope it comes sooner! Also found out that I have to have it apostilled by the US Department of State which adds another 20 business days onto the request. FABULOUS!

As an FYI - this is how you get an FBI background check apostilled/authenticated - http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/index.htm

I sent mine in with an expedited request. After 3 months(!) they sent me a note back saying my fingerprints were unable to be read by their scanners and I had to redo the process.

Expedited is not guaranteed.

Err on the side of caution.

citygirl said:
I sent mine in with an expedited request. After 3 months(!) they sent me a note back saying my fingerprints were unable to be read by their scanners and I had to redo the process.

Expedited is not guaranteed.

Err on the side of caution.

Dont' have that much time. I'm getting married June 5, moving to BsAs on the 18th. The movers will not move my things until I get a "provisional visa" which is just a 90 day visa given to those who are applying for permanant residency. Can't get that until I have my background check....
Would have started the process sooner however I was told that I should do it closer to the time when I am to be there so that I don't have a huge window of time that I'm here and not covered by the check.
I could have applied earlier but I didn't.

Back