Feminist Group

Machismo effects men by making them be "tough", go to war, not express emotions. Machismo also offers beneffits to women (at least pretty women).
I ask if many women will be willing to let go of their bennefits--not being taken out to dinner, having to do heavy labor, etc. In Argentina a lot of women as soon as they become mothers stop working and treat themselves as some kind of semi-diety, untouchable, owner of the child, etc.

I'm going to guess you don't have children? Because being a stay at home is a valid choice and is a hella lot of work. Speaking from personal experience, being home with my kids is in many ways a lot harder than my corporate job. And the hours are a lot longer and oh, you never get a sick day or a holiday or a vacation. I'll be very happy if/when I go back to work ;) Being a stay at home mom is an equally valid choice as working and one which any feminist should support since feminism is all about giving women choices. And I don't know about "owning" a child but the fact is, 90% of childcare falls on the mom's shoulders so of course they are the main person. And I'm not sure being taking out to dinner is a benefit ;) It's just a nice thing to do.

As for the rest - I'm curious how you get cat calls to just "stop". I certainly have never been able to do it with the exception of when I was very, very pregnant. And it's not like I'm out dressed to the nines or looking for attention. The culture here is to objectify women. To be honest, it doesn't bother me really but let's acknowledge what it is and what it teaches women which is that it's all about your appearance.

And I could ramble on about how defining gender roles starts from birth here. I have boy/girl twins and 99% of the things you buy for babies (clothes, blankets, sheets, toys, etc) come in pink/floral for the girl and blue/prints for the boy. And everyone buys dolls for their daughters and trucks for their sons. It's amazing to me.

Honestly, I don't think this is the worst place for my daughter to grow up but I certainly will emphasize her doing well in school, playing sports, etc to combat the focus on appearance here.

Today, on the street I whistled at a nice looking smartly dressed girl as I was walking past her. she gave a smile and walked away. Is she not a feminist or am I machista? Who knows but it was fun. I love Argentina.

Some weeks ago when it was a tad warmer I was walking down Libertador at Retiro and just happened to be behind a couple of well dressed girls.
As we crossed the avenue, a biker was stopped in the traffic.
On seeing the girls in front of me, he whooped, tore off his helmet, jumped off his Harley, got down on his knees in front of the girl he fancied and declared his undying love....err lust for her.
She loved it, he loved it and so did everyone else.
Made my day.

I do dishes too. I also cook , clean and do the shopping.

I agree , So What !!!

I cook every day when i am not traveling. But i have no novia o spouse. So what?

What about the sexualised ads on TV? Do you remember the one that had the man diving into his girlfriend's cleavage after she announced she was getting her boobs done? It was an ad for ...... chocolate? Can't remember exactly. The only one ever to be taken off air (that I've heard of) but it definitely isn't alone in being completely over the top sexualised.

Speaking of advertising, here's last year's campaign for Schnieder in which men coyly apologise for 'thinking that no meant yes.'

In most countries, that's rape!

Today, on the street I whistled at a nice looking smartly dressed girl as I was walking past her. she gave a smile and walked away. Is she not a feminist or am I machista? Who knows but it as fun. I love Argentina.
Well, amigo, it looks like all you do in BA is whistling at women, but then again, you are Ceviche, so I guess it's your way of life. I thoroughly enjoy looking at women en la calle but I only rarely whistle at someone, for example if she's exceptionally beautiful or when I feel that she wouldn't make a problem of a bit of attention. So, there's nothing wrong with a bit of sensual contact, that makes daily life less boring.

So, back to the discussion: apart from not always agreeing with DontMindMe's tone in her posts, it's logical that the less innocent attention by men that's typical of this place will get on the nerves of many foreign (?) women here. I do believe that in countries like Peru and Colombia this behaviour may be even more pushy, especially if you're white, but in Spain and other places I almost never see similar stuff on the streets. Perhaps on Sicily and in Campania, so there may just be a little historical connection. When I was younger and less delapidated, I also got some random piropo kind of remarks in BA by what were supposedly gay passers-by. That's not comparable to the constant exaggerated attention girls have to live with over there, but I have never experienced such a thing anywhere else. The practices of BA people still surprise me, often.

I have adapted to many Argentine customs, but I don't like becoming so verbally obtrusive with women on the streets as some men seem to regard as completely normal in BA.

Exactly! You got it, mate!
51a03c17d7b90461bd42.jpeg

Back