Fibertel: Internet Service License Revoked

I have had 6 years perfect service from Fibertel and Cablevision..I really havent had a single complaint about the service..they even called at the door once to advise they were digging up the street and so my service would be interrupted. I don`t doubt many of you have suffered problems but I have many times wished all service providers were as efficient as Fibertel - and let me tell you the horror stories I have heard from Speedy customers in particular....go fight the big govt beast CLarin wit my full support!

I already started a thread about the horror of trying to get HD TV from Cablevision installed. It took 4 full days for the service to get up and running. A couple of weeks later (last night, as it were), during a thunderstorm, the HD cable went out, and as now, mid-afternoon the next day, it is still out.

In the 20 months since we first got Fibertel installed, we have had something like 6 tech visits because it stopped working inexplicably. When it does work, it is random and the modem needs to be rebooted on good days a couple of times and on bad days every hour or so. They have not been able to fix this. Download speeds fluctuate wildly, but always from average to less, never more.

It is a mediocre cable TV and Internet service provider, but having said that, it appears that it is just like all the others and changing from this one to that one won't make any difference. Since Cablevision and Fibertel are already installed, and since no other company will be any better, I hope to simply keep what's here until we move back to the parts of the world where Internet really works.

Hi
I also have fibertel and I haven`t had any problems but it looks like I will have to change to another service, any suggestion...... I was thinking of Telecentro that has a promotion including phone service and cable

...Clarin will fight the order, while customers ponder & hesitate on whether to jump ship.....if Clarin gets a stay of execution...or not, there's going to be great caos. Thanks Christina!

"Cablevisión had been working under an unauthorized license since January 2009," de Vido denounced. He stated that now users "have a 90-day period of time to choose a different provider company." Fibertel, in the meantime, will be given the same period of time for ‘"protecting the users"

Hi French, I hope it works out & that you are correct.
But I'm still very suspicious of the timing of this. Who would it be sold to? And what back room deals were there made while we all slept through the night? Apart from the obvious, who else profits from this move?
Forget 'Conspiracy theories' ...nothing shocks me in Argentina.

French jurist said:
Fibertel could even be sold too, so no panic !

Obviously this is just another element of the on-going political vendetta the K's engage in against their "enemies." Vendetta, yes, but as a political move: stupid beyond belief. Why would a politician who wants to get reelected (shortly) pull a stunt like this that would fry the butts of a million voters? It doesn't make sense to try to hurt Clarin at the expense of losing the election, and with it, one's only source of power. If you throw a million plus voters into chaos and make them angry as hell right before an election, this is not just political suicide, it is stupid to the core. But then, who doesn't know that hatred is blinding?

Eternalnewbie said:
Obviously this is just another element of the on-going political vendetta the K's engage in against their "enemies." Vendetta, yes, but as a political move: stupid beyond belief. Why would a politician who wants to get reelected (shortly) pull a stunt like this that would fry the butts of a million voters? It doesn't make sense to try to hurt Clarin at the expense of losing the election, and with it, one's only source of power. If you throw a million plus voters into chaos and make them angry as hell right before an election, this is not just political suicide, it is stupid to the core. But then, who doesn't know that hatred is blinding?
Why? Because the elections in AR are not free elections. And the votes that the Ks cater to are not internet users and can be bought for a choripan and a glass of vino. Thus no big risk for the Queen.
The Ks have been systematicaly hammering Clairin from every possible direction. Tax audits, DNA tests for the children, license issues, AFIP employee audits and so on. Nestor has dreams about becomming a media magnet.
In the end Fibertel will not disappear but it does send one more message to international investors.........don't put your money here.
"This is just a measure to annoy Clarin, but every obstacle hurts. Clarin's image will suffer, but in principle, the group won't be hurt much economically," The news sent Clarin shares tumbling 8 percent in afternoon trade in Buenos Aires to 12 pesos per share.

ghost said:
The news sent Clarin shares tumbling 8 percent in afternoon trade in Buenos Aires to 12 pesos per share.

Is there any stock exchange geek here ? Since I believe it's impossible to trade on foreign markets from here (except through the internet), is it at least possible to gamble "bear" (means gambling that they will depreciate) on certain shares/stocks ?

I am hoping they sell Fibertel because their Internet service is TERRIBLE to say the less. Their customer service is almost inexistent and in general, they suck. I'm so sick and tired of dealing with this lame excuse of a company that right now I don't even mind that the other companies suck too, lol. And to make things worse, they are the only broadband service company in my area, so my only hope is a new owner steps in to make things better (fingers crossed).
This is just another chapter on the Kitchner vs. Clarin feud, two evils fighting for power and control.

Back