Help Urgently Needed: Forum Expat Gone Nuts In My Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats rule number one when hiring interviewing prospective employees. If they speaks very negatively about their previous employers, its best to keep looking. Chances are youll be the next one they speak negavitely about.

Just like when hiring, you need to ask for references. Always.

The problem is that landlords in BA have a very well-earned reputation for stealing people's damage deposits. I've had to go after them before for friends more times than I can count.

If it were me, I would go on Monday morning and make sure everything is squared away. Or honestly, if you're really worried, go today. Tell her you'll pay for the hotel for the next 3 nights but it's an emergency and you need her to be out of the apt. I assume she doesn't have much stuff so she should be fine in a hotel. It might be expensive or a PITA but probably worth it for peace of mind.

If it were me, I would go on Monday morning and make sure everything is squared away. Or honestly, if you're really worried, go today. Tell her you'll pay for the hotel for the next 3 nights but it's an emergency and you need her to be out of the apt. I assume she doesn't have much stuff so she should be fine in a hotel. It might be expensive or a PITA but probably worth it for peace of mind.

I have been offering to return her rent in USD pro-rated for the past week or so. She is now claiming that I am 'stalking' her (that's another story, actually) and won't let me in to the apartment or even tell me a check-out date/ time. Believe me when I say that posting here is a last resort, and I have kept my post VERY, VERY tame compared to the reality that I have been dealing with for the last few weeks.

The problem is that landlords in BA have a very well-earned reputation for stealing people's damage deposits. I've had to go after them before for friends more times than I can count.

You shouldnt get personally involved in other peoples problems. They are adults and can take care of themselves. I used to do favors for everyone I came across that seemed like they needed a helping hand. You learn after a while, people are never greatful and if you give them a hand, many times theyll take the elbow.

Hope you learned a valuable lesson this time around and thank you for sharing your experience.

My thoughts:
The situation has become complicated and too emotional.
If there is any hope for a calm resolutions you need remove yourself from contact with this person.
Send a large, male, unshaven, shabbily dressed friend to reiterate that you have made commitments for the apartment starting on monday and to firmly discuss 'what time' she will be leaving on Monday, per your agreement.
No need for arguing or threats.
Just cool firmness regarding the exact time that your apartment will be free.

By the way; I have found it to be very useful to discuss why the previous relationship ended, be it rental, romantic, business, etc. Then I can judge whether I'm smarter or luckier than the last guy.

My thoughts:
If there is any hope for a calm resolutions you need remove yourself from contact with this person.
Send a large, male, unshaven, shabbily dressed friend to reiterate that you have made commitments for the apartment starting on monday and to firmly discuss 'what time' she will be leaving on Monday, per your agreement.

I have been doing this, firmly and politely, for over a week now - would you like to see the emails and the responses which accuse me of following her around/ stalking her/ breaking the lock/ entering the apartment without permission (all false)? Believe me when I say that posting here has been a last resort and that i have been very tame regarding my description of her behavior in order to spare her blushes.

I'm not dealing with a normal person here, and I have received numerous PMs regarding the interactions that others have had with this person saying the same thing.

I have been doing this, firmly and politely, for over a week now - would you like to see the emails and the responses which accuse me of following her around/ stalking her/ breaking the lock/ entering the apartment without permission (all false)? Believe me when I say that posting here has been a last resort and that i have been very tame regarding my description of her behavior in order to spare her blushes.

I'm not dealing with a normal person here, and I have received numerous PMs regarding the interactions that others have had with this person saying the same thing.

Thats why I recommended that you take a step back and let someone else act on your behalf. Preferably someone with an imposing presence.

My thoughts:

By the way; I have found it to be very useful to discuss why the previous relationship ended, be it rental, romantic, business, etc. Then I can judge whether I'm smarter or luckier than the last guy.

I usually rent to tourists for periods of three days to a week - do you think people will consider me a sane person if I ask them these questions before renting to them for three nights? My rental contract with this person was for one month, not usually something I'd have to worry about.

Reaching out to somebody on this forum to offer them my place is something I have never done before. I've had countless guests since 2006 with no problems, indeed most people ask me to stay with them when I am visiting their country and I count many as close friends.

I think a big part of this was offering it to someone who couldn't afford to pay my full price, because I felt sorry for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back