In Desperate Need Of Help.

Indeed, would be easier if the OP would give more details (age, language spokens, educational background at least).

Is there any way you can work online for foreign companies?

I would think east Asia would be a place with a lot more opportunity that Argentina now. This is just what I hear. Argentina is a decent place to live cheaply and spend money but not a great place to make money. Even for spending, there are places in the world where it's cheaper, but it depends what you're looking for. I have a friend in Cambodia and another in rural Peru whose living expenses are well below $500/month each. I assume that's also possible in rural Argentina but I'm not sure. I was thinking about going to one of those places myself but chose Buenos Aires because I could spend more for a while and it had a culture that was less alien to me than Asia. But there are too many unknown variables at this point for anyone to give you clear advice.

I think the easiest thing would be to make money abroad/online and live here if you really love Argentina, rather than finding a job here. I don't know the job market but I just repeat what I hear from Argentines and expats. Not easy to find a job here, not easy to make money at a job, and very very hard to get ahead. I think it's possible to live OK (but not very well) in Buenos Aires for $800/month if you're lucky and if you find an apt for $400 or so and then really budget. But you will find this quite hard to do if you are a spendthrift like me.

I have two cents to add. I can not stress the importance of savings. Do not pick up and just leave thinking life will suddenly improve, you have to plan, plan and plan some more. Even though I make my income outside the country it is not easy to get it here and talking from some very recent ongoing personal experience you never know when a life altering, unforeseen event will take place leaving you with little options. War torn family life as you say is still better than being completely alone in a place you are unfamiliar. I am all for packing a suitcase and exploring the world but please prepare wisely. Even with all my planning I still made a crucial error. By all means if Argentina is where your heart is then come, but with a solid plan in place.

Dear OP. The world is unfair. People get jobs because of who they know all the time. This is the norm, not the exception. I can guarantee you that whatever you think Argentina will provide you in the way of "fair play" is not going to happen. You will be sorely disappointed here if you come with that mindset.

Running to someplace new is never going to be the answer. You gotta dig down inside yourself and get over that. The answer will come from within you. You need to determine what it is of value that you have that is uniquely yours to offer society and play that card 100%. If you don't know what that one thing is then you need to figure it out. Don't let the world's BS stop you. You gotta do it in spite of the world. You know what I mean?

Remember; no matter where you go in this world there you are. You are the common denominator to both your problems and your solutions. My suggestion is to fix what's wrong where you are right now. Once you have that done then you are free to go wherever and nobody can stop you.

GS

Sometimes problems are not fixable, I get that. War torn countries, toxic environments, friends or maybe even family that actually drag you down rather than help you up. If you've searched and searched for a solution and you simply needed to leave your home country and everything you had for the sake of your well being, then I commend your strength and resolve - many people in your situation are simply too scared of the unknown to take that leap.

Here's the reality check though. There is no land of opportunity where you can run to and rely on an honest hard day's work to get you a new and steady life. If there was one, Argentina definitely isn't it.

If you want to make it with a fresh start in any country, you need a lot of things. Planning and backup planning, resourcefulness, a support structure of some sort, relentlessness, a good amount of time to implement your plans, etc etc.

If you have already decided on Argentina, and there is no going back, I would start by analyzing who you are and what you can offer. You seem to be a programmer. My advice would be to spend the next year learning Spanish and continuing to develop your programming skills. Take as many projects as you can and live on as little as possible to create a good savings account. Research the Argentine industry for the types of programming jobs that are most commonly sought after and learn those programming languages. Become someone that you could see these companies hiring, or contracting. Create a portfolio so you can showcase your work somehow. Start networking with people in the industry here via LinkedIn and other social networking channels. Ask a lot of questions, send emails, make contacts. Try and visit Argentina at least once during this time to get an idea of what you're getting into, and so you can meet people and begin to create social and professional circles. Learn about the economy here, learn about the culture, the people, the way things work on a daily basis. After you've done all this, you start looking like someone who could be ready to move to another country in search of a new beginning.

I hope you understand my point - its similar to many other posts above. You haven't given us enough information to provide you with specific advice, but its clear you've decided you need to move and you want to move to Argentina. Rather than asking the forum members about the intricacies of the web programming industry here, or how best to learn the language before moving, or the average rent prices etc, you've just said you're at a breaking point, and that you are so hardworking you just want someone to give you a chance in Argentina. That is a big red flag.

Get started on a plan, and I'm sure people here will be more than willing to share their insight on your plan and what it needs and doesn't need.

Also, on a more personal note - if you actually are situationally depressed, I hope you've sought help with that. Situational depression is something caused by a traumatic life event, and its a tough state to be in. With the right support however, you can climb out of it, slowly but surely. There are a wide range of remedies that can go a long way to good mental health, and I hate to say it, but moving countries without a plan is not one of those remedies. Argentina won't cure your depression. From someone who knows first hand about depression, I really urge you to get help and fix or stabilize that condition before thinking about a big life change like moving.

Good luck.

I really recommend right now that you find work outside of Argentina if you have some IT skills. Even if you don't make a huge amount of money, it will probably be more than you make here, and you will save yourself a lot of grief. It's hard to live in Capital--it's really a grind. Think about taking a bus an hour to and from work everyday. It's stressful living in BA in general, but far less so if you could work from home. I think that makes BA a lot more livable and a more viable option.

Have you considered joining the French Foreign Legion?

foreign-legion_1126189c.jpg

Dear OP. The world is unfair. People get jobs because of who they know all the time. This is the norm, not the exception. I can guarantee you that whatever you think Argentina will provide you in the way of "fair play" is not going to happen. You will be sorely disappointed here if you come with that mindset.

Running to someplace new is never going to be the answer. You gotta dig down inside yourself and get over that. The answer will come from within you. You need to determine what it is of value that you have that is uniquely yours to offer society and play that card 100%. If you don't know what that one thing is then you need to figure it out. Don't let the world's BS stop you. You gotta do it in spite of the world. You know what I mean?

Remember; no matter where you go in this world there you are. You are the common denominator to both your problems and your solutions. My suggestion is to fix what's wrong where you are right now. Once you have that done then you are free to go wherever and nobody can stop you.

GS
Thank you, Dad!

There are I hear some secluded cults in the Andes and in the Bahia region of Brazil. If you are looking for adventure. French Foreign Legion is also a good option, as Joe says. Unlike other people here I'm not joking. See also my post above for cost of living in various cheap areas of the world. I think growth area for opportunity by the way is East and SE Asia.

Back