iPhone with working data on Movistar pre-paid

katti said:
as far as I know you can only buy unlocked phones in Belgium Italy and Argentina (?)

I don't think you can get a factory unlocked iPhone in Argentina through an official Apple re-seller (w/ warranty), but you may find imports from Italy and other unlocked countries in Mercadolibre for a $$$$ premium.

These are the countries you can buy authorized, factory-unlocked iPhones. The list is old, so it might be a outdated.
Australia
Belgium - Mobistar
Czech Republic - O2, T-Mobile, Vodafone
Greece - Vodafone, Cosmote
Hong Kong - 3
Italy - 3, TIM, Vodafone
Luxembourg - Vox Mobile, LUXGSM
Macau - 3
Malaysia - Maxis
New Zealand - Vodafone
Philippines - Globe
Russia - MegaFon, MTS, Beeline
Saudi Arabia - Mobily
Singapore - SingTel
Slovakia - Orange
South Africa - Vodacom
Taiwan - Chunghwa Telecom
Thailand - TrueMove
Turkey, TurkCell
United Arab Emirates - Etisalat

If you're in the US, you can buy a factory unlocked import on eBay. They're pricey though. We got a 3gs from Australia, and it works great here with all the features (including GPS -- awesome for taxi rides, visual voice mail, 3G internet, etc.). Our other iPhone here is a jailbroken 2G.

hmm, now I know why for the past month it seems like I need to buy a new phone card every 4 days for my iphone. I am going to be looking into a data plan. I don´t understand though, does it charge you just for having yoru 3G turned on even if you are not using any data?

Sleuth said:
And unlocked? This is two different processes: jailbreaking allows non-Apple approved apps to run; unlocking allows any SIM card.

I do not believe the baseband firmware on the newest 3GS has been unlocked yet.

Dave, I am pretty sure it has been unlocked. The iphone Dev Team website usually has the latest: http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Version 3.1.2 can be unlocked. The latest 3.1.3 cannot and most likely wont be. They are holding onto the hack waiting for version 4.0 of the OS.

true, if u get a jailbroken unlocked 3.1.2 iphone do not update the firmware.

Well, many things are being said here. Let's try to point a few things out and agree on them :

- DO NOT UPDATE YOUR IPHONE TO 3.1.3 FOR NOW !

About the first 3GS
The first 3GS that appeared on the market can be jailbroken. Late 2009 (around november), Apple implemented a new bootrom (359.3.2) which blocked the "exploit" named something like kp24m. Those cannot be jailbroken for any OS version (well, it seems in fact they can, but on each reboot, a jailbreak would be needed).

Jailbreaking is not that complicated but the first time, it's better to ask someone who knows.

tf33 said:
hmm, now I know why for the past month it seems like I need to buy a new phone card every 4 days for my iphone. I am going to be looking into a data plan. I don´t understand though, does it charge you just for having yoru 3G turned on even if you are not using any data?

Important : even if you don't use yourself the 3G connection, your iphone will behind your back ! That's why you are buying prepaid cards so quickly.
Your solution is to : Jailbreak & unlock it, install cydia, install a program like Bossprefs from Cydia which will give you the opportunity to disable on will any Edge or 3G connection (you can of course activate it when you wish but won't spend money in an useless way)

French jurist said:
Important : even if you don't use yourself the 3G connection, your iphone will behind your back ! That's why you are buying prepaid cards so quickly.
Your solution is to : Jailbreak & unlock it, install cydia, install a program like Bossprefs from Cydia which will give you the opportunity to disable on will any Edge or 3G connection (you can of course activate it when you wish but won't spend money in an useless way)

You don't need to jailbreak the iPhone to turn 3G off. Edge data costs are fairly minimal it's so slow you are not going to use it for anything beyond checking basic email.

Back