Is the expat party coming to an end?

Until people realize that they are the creators of their own future, and not the government, nothing will change. Don't depend on the government for anything.
What a great description of neoliberalism. That is the exact premise used by the future government that Argentines have elected (and still waiting to actually you know, take office and start making decisions and all that….)

The party will never end in terms of costs…. The question is basic security and stability.
What makes you sure? I lived in BA through the Menem era. The price of apartments was certainly cheaper but day-to-day costs were generally comparable to the USA. A lof of things were more expensive.

What makes you sure? I lived in BA through the Menem era. The price of apartments was certainly cheaper but day-to-day costs were generally comparable to the USA. A lof of things were more expensive.
I remember those days- it would require successful dollarization and massive foreign investment. Anything is possible of course, I just don’t see it. Time will tell.

Seems like 3 very different groups get lumped together as "expats". And I find it dubious there is much of a party here in Argentina.
There are longer term tourists- people who stay for 3 to 24 months, but never had any intention of settling down. There were far more of these in the early 2000's, when the coralito wiped out prices, and it was possible to coast here on dollar liters of beer and $150 a month hostels.
But never a really significant number, compared to lots of places like Mexico or Thailand.
I would place the recent influx of russians in this group- they are temporary refugees with money, and Argentina was easy to enter and doesnt make any effort to deport them, but longterm, they want to be in Miami or London or NYC or Paris.

There are retirees from rich countries, but, again, as a group, they are a pretty small number- I know all the online facebook and blogs are dominated by this type of person (of which I am one), but in reality, its probably not more than a few thousand, I would be amazed if there were 10,000 in the 15 million person BA metropolitan area.

Then, there are the real expats- people who came here to live, usually because its a better economy than where they came from. Paraguayan cab drivers, Bolivian produce sellers, Venezuelan restraunteurs, African street vendors, Syrian falafel makers- I see these people every day all over town.
The total Argentine expat number is estimated at 5% of population, which probably doesnt even put us in the top fifty, globally. But of that, the vast majority, probably 1.8 million of those 2 million expats are not here because its cheap, they are here because its easier to make more money than where they came from.
They will ride out whatever happens, put down roots, and their grandchildren will be here.

NYC has 40% of its population who were born in another country. BA? maybe 3%. Its just not a place that is really influenced by expats or immigration at this time, even though historically, almost everyone is descended from immigrants.

I would say, that, in reality, the expat party here has always been tiny, and mostly made of people who either came for love, or have enough money to ride it out.
It aint Bali.

Seems like 3 very different groups get lumped together as "expats". And I find it dubious there is much of a party here in Argentina.
There are longer term tourists- people who stay for 3 to 24 months, but never had any intention of settling down. There were far more of these in the early 2000's, when the coralito wiped out prices, and it was possible to coast here on dollar liters of beer and $150 a month hostels.
But never a really significant number, compared to lots of places like Mexico or Thailand.
I would place the recent influx of russians in this group- they are temporary refugees with money, and Argentina was easy to enter and doesnt make any effort to deport them, but longterm, they want to be in Miami or London or NYC or Paris.

There are retirees from rich countries, but, again, as a group, they are a pretty small number- I know all the online facebook and blogs are dominated by this type of person (of which I am one), but in reality, its probably not more than a few thousand, I would be amazed if there were 10,000 in the 15 million person BA metropolitan area.

Then, there are the real expats- people who came here to live, usually because its a better economy than where they came from. Paraguayan cab drivers, Bolivian produce sellers, Venezuelan restraunteurs, African street vendors, Syrian falafel makers- I see these people every day all over town.
The total Argentine expat number is estimated at 5% of population, which probably doesnt even put us in the top fifty, globally. But of that, the vast majority, probably 1.8 million of those 2 million expats are not here because its cheap, they are here because its easier to make more money than where they came from.
They will ride out whatever happens, put down roots, and their grandchildren will be here.

NYC has 40% of its population who were born in another country. BA? maybe 3%. Its just not a place that is really influenced by expats or immigration at this time, even though historically, almost everyone is descended from immigrants.

I would say, that, in reality, the expat party here has always been tiny, and mostly made of people who either came for love, or have enough money to ride it out.
It aint Bali.
I think the original poster is saying it's a "party" because prices are so low now if you have dollars/Euros.

It aint Bali.
I think a lot of long term tourists/nomads would plant roots here if it was possible to continue earning their salaries from abroad. I know I’d live here if I could continue to work for my company and I am considering becoming a contractor to facilitate it. I would much rather live here than keep doing month(s) stints in new airbnbs at a time

Back