Is the expat party coming to an end?

Great take though the only thing is the debt is a “kind” debt as it’s more of a tax rather than a debt, especially since it’s collected via PAYE (assuming you’re a PAYE employee which is most cases)
Just move to Argentina and pay the student loans company **** all!

Just move to Argentina and pay the student loans company **** all!
It’s an interesting thought. I currently work PAYE but have total flexibility with regards to where I work from. I’ve been mulling moving to Argentina and moving to becoming a contractor for my company since I’m kinda fed up with England and the quality of life I can afford here is above and beyond what I can get in England.

However I’m a bit fed up of month(s) at a time here and bouncing between here and England at great airfare and having to stay in whichever airbnb I find at the time and would love the stability of living here long term.

That and the curse of falling in love with an Argentinian

I am guessing you have, like most people who disdain all politicians, never actually met one.
I grew up around local level politicans, and yes, most were poor. One I knew made his living as a commercial fisherman. Another, a bartender. Most had day jobs.
My late mother was a Washington State Representative, for example. When she first ran, in the early 70s, it paid about $3,700 a year. If my father had not had a job, there is no doubt we would have been "poor". By the 90s, it had reached almost $14k a year. She switched to being a judge, which paid better. Her eventual retirement was about equivalent to a higher level firefighter, nowhere near as good as a cop. In my professional life, I worked with a lot of politicians all over the Western USA. None drove Bentleys.
I knew a lot of City, State, and County level US politicians over the course of my 7 decades.
Aside from a few that were born rich, none achieved wealth thru politics.
Corruption certainly exists everywhere, but, in general, in Argentina or in the USA, very few politicians get rich by cheating, and, in the US, anyway, most get caught.
Recently, Ohio Republican Larry Householder did get busted for a $65 million dollar kickback scheme. He is in jail now.
In 1973 I lived in Wilmington, De. One day I stopped by a condo sales office in that city and looked at pre-construction condo offerings. The salesman, a pleasant guy, made his spiel but I passed on the deal as it had a slight taint. When I started to leave he said "my son is your senator". It was joe biden's dad. I quickly left. Looking back, I really wonder what that comment implied.

I am guessing you have, like most people who disdain all politicians, never actually met one.
I grew up around local level politicans, and yes, most were poor. One I knew made his living as a commercial fisherman. Another, a bartender. Most had day jobs.
My late mother was a Washington State Representative, for example. When she first ran, in the early 70s, it paid about $3,700 a year. If my father had not had a job, there is no doubt we would have been "poor". By the 90s, it had reached almost $14k a year. She switched to being a judge, which paid better. Her eventual retirement was about equivalent to a higher level firefighter, nowhere near as good as a cop. In my professional life, I worked with a lot of politicians all over the Western USA. None drove Bentleys.
I knew a lot of City, State, and County level US politicians over the course of my 7 decades.
Aside from a few that were born rich, none achieved wealth thru politics.
Corruption certainly exists everywhere, but, in general, in Argentina or in the USA, very few politicians get rich by cheating, and, in the US, anyway, most get caught.
Recently, Ohio Republican Larry Householder did get busted for a $65 million dollar kickback scheme. He is in jail now.

Depends on what they do. It is suspected that Nancy Pelosi's husband has made millions with insider information, and others probably have too. Politicians in the U.S. generally make way more money as lobbyist after they retire as politicians, jobs they would not have gotten otherwise.

Depends on what they do. It is suspected that Nancy Pelosi's husband has made millions with insider information, and others probably have too. Politicians in the U.S. generally make way more money as lobbyist after they retire as politicians, jobs they would not have gotten otherwise.
They ought to learn a “transparency” trick from the UK and get their backhands as corporate after dinner speeches instead

Running away from financial responsibility and leaving some other poor sod to pay your debts...you'll fit in perfectly here!
Won't someone think of the bankers! 😭

It takes two to tango; there's no loan without risk, and giving 17 and 18 yo kids tens of, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars seems like a big one. Companies get to fire their employees and default on their creditors/suppliers/former employees, but we don't even let student loans disappear anymore when someone files bankruptcy, seems pretty rigged to me (speak of the Devil, this was one of Biden's crowning achievements as a Senator btw).

Won't someone think of the bankers! 😭
The US Congress did that when they passed Obama's planned "take over"· of student lending in 2010, but not everyone in the Congress appears to be able to remember what they voted for and still wanted to "blame the bankers" about ten years later:

Paul Pelosi is not a Politician, and the vast majority of his wealth is in real estate, although he also owned a football team at one time. Not sure exactly how either can be due to "insider information", but, if he broke the law, by all means, he should be prosecuted. However, my guess is the evidence is of Newsmax level provability.

And Joe Biden's dad was a used car salesman.

I dont see how either case proves that all politicians are rich, or that its due to corruption.

Back