just another lovestruck foreigner

Haha the slow wifi of Buenos Aires strikes again! I was totally lost about Zully Goldfarb until the picture loaded.

I am a 25 year old BOY who is... very intrigued with Buenos Aires and is hoping to dive deeper. Las mujeres hermosas de Buenos Aires son ciertamente una influencia fuerte, pero "lovestruck" en general :)

fifs2 said:
Has to be a guy..I dont have any stats but how many female expats move here, fall madly in love with a local and stay...in all my experience I havent yet met one girl who didnt leave the relationship and country...worth a database study no?

Actually, he didn't say he fell in love with a local..only that Buenos Aires had "claimed a place in his heart. "

Falling madly in love with a local girl can also cause heart problems. Last year I met a fellow expat from Chicago who was selling everything after his Argentine girlfriend dumped him. He couldn't live with the memories of being with her in Argentina and was headed back to Illinois.

I "fell in love" with a local shortly after arriving in 2006. I fled the relationship several months later. It took me four years to get out of CF, but I'm still living in Argentina...and loving it more than ever.

Perhaps you haven't met a (foreign) girl who didn't leave the relationship and the country; I haven't either, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I know of at least one who often posts in the forum. Perhaps we'll hear from her in this thread.

...I know several foreign girls in love with and in long-term relationships or married to Argentine fellows. In fact, I personally know more foreign girls falling for local guys than vice versa.

MizzMarr said:
...I know several foreign girls in love with and in long-term relationships or married to Argentine fellows. In fact, I personally know more foreign girls falling for local guys than vice versa.

And gay Americans who find a local partner often have no choice but to stay. A straight American who marries an Argentine can ostensibly bring him or her to the U.S. on a spouse visa; that's not an option for Americans with a foreign same-sex partner.

starlucia said:
She's a portena. There are lots of Goldfarbs and Goldsteins and Feinsteins and Cohens running around this city.

-Oy Caramba!!

When my ex set up an appointment for me with Dr. Finklestein, because she wasn't a big fan of her other doctor (Dr. Katz), I chuckled at the similarities of the parallel universes.

jazrgz said:
She is in fact argentinian and in fact there´s nothing unusual about her name for an argentine. Zully is a relatively normal name for a girl and her last name as you may have already learnt while in here is not odd at all either, not the last name per se but the fact that is not italian or spanish.
just my 2 cents :cool:

"Zully"??? "ZULLY"???? "Zully" is a "relatively normal name for a girl"? Where?!? And in what century? :eek:

"Maria" is a common name for a girl. "Florencia" (and "Flor", "Floppy", "Flopy") is a common name for a girl. "Laura"/"Lau", "Maria Jose"/"Majo", "Mercedes"/"Mer", "Veronica"/"Vero", "Agustina"/"Agus", "Ana"/"Anita", "Carla"/"Carolina"/"Cristina"/"Catarina", and "Cecilia"/"Ceci" are all common names for girls.

But "ZULLY" isn't even close to being a "common" name.

syngirl said:
lol if anything Goldfarb is a very common name here --

I was just looking for a dr.... these are all Argentines but I guess according to some their names aren't??

Dr Schachman
Dr Falke
Dr Goldfarb
Dr Cohen
Dr Guzman

I know there's an abundance of Italian/Spanish names here, but as in any other nation there's a lot of names that don't "sound" like they belong.

I'm familiar with the immigration patterns of this country and this city in particular. I spout them out 2 to 5 times a week.

But "Zully" before a name like "Goldfarb" rather than "Elisa", "Daniela", "Eugenia"/"Euge", "Fabiana"/"Fabi", "Estefania"/"Stef...", "Gabriela"/"Gabi", "Justina", "Julia", or "Paula"/"Pau"...

No... no me jodas.

:p

For the record, "Zully" is not on the approved names list for Argentina, so it can't possibly be that common. Not sure what it's short for--Zulma maybe?

"Zsa Zsa", however, is on the list. Go figure.

steveinbsas said:
Actually, he didn't say he fell in love with a local..only that Buenos Aires had "claimed a place in his heart. "

Falling madly in love with a local girl can also cause heart problems. Last year I met a fellow expat from Chicago who was selling everything after his Argentine girlfriend dumped him. He couldn't live with the memories of being with her in Argentina and was headed back to Illinois.

I "fell in love" with a local shortly after arriving in 2006. I fled the relationship several months later. It took me four years to get out of CF, but I'm still living in Argentina...and loving it more than ever.

Perhaps you haven't met a (foreign) girl who didn't leave the relationship and the country; I haven't either, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. I know of at least one who often posts in the forum. Perhaps we'll hear from her in this thread.

Steve it was deliberately meant to be so dogmatic a statement as to be inflammatory:D...I love your posts but sometimes on one of your bad days your penchant for the pedantic kills me. Lucky we live so far apart.

MizzMarr said:
For the record, "Zully" is not on the approved names list for Argentina, so it can't possibly be that common. Not sure what it's short for--Zulma maybe?

..."Mulva"???

Thanks for bringing a little bit of rational thought to this thread.

Actually, I found one link that seems to say that it was a derivative for the female of "Solomon". That would explain it's connection with the last name "Goldfarb" if that is in fact true. (The rest of the links seemed to suggest that the name "Zully" is of Australian origin, which wouldn't point to "the Buenos Aires Goldfarbs" in the least.)

MizzMarr said:
"Zsa Zsa", however, is on the list. Go figure.

Just AWESOME!!

Sometimes this country just so effing rocks it's ridiculous!!

:D

fifs2 said:
Steve it was deliberately meant to be so dogmatic a statement as to be inflammatory:D...I love your posts but sometimes on one of your bad days your penchant for the pedantic kills me. Lucky we live so far apart.

Not for you when the supermarket shelves in BA are bare, the banks and ATMs are shut down, and I am sharing my chicken eggs, rice, and beans with my neighbors.:p

Back