Lots Of Money Found. What Would You Do?

Mhhh

or maybe he reacted the obvious way but something incredible happened
or maybe he's writing a movie script starting in the bank and lacks inspiration (we could crowdwrite a script after all, asking for everyone opinion at each step)

EDIT: funny to notice so many people watching the thread, lol

Did GS actually say that he opened the envelope? Perhaps he only discovered that it contained a large sum of money after taking to someone inside the bank who opened it in his presence. If he left the bank with the envelope he still has the ability to use the account information from the enclosed deposit slip to deposit the money.

If there was so much money that the envelope would not enter the correct slot, a simple solution would b to go to someone in the bank and insist that the deposit be made at a teller's window inside the bank. I would not accept a promise of anyone in the bank to take care of it later.

Last year, in a large hardware store in Bahia Blanca I found a wallet (actually a "man bag"). I immediately took it to the customer service desk and showed it to the manager. It took about a minute for him to understand that it wasn't mine. He opened the bag in front of me. It was full of money, credit cards, DNI, driver's lisence, etc.. I asked him to use the public address system to call for the person who's name appeared on the DNI. I said that we only had to wait for the man with a fearful look on his face. In less than a minute a very nervous man approached the counter. I waved him over to us and smiled, telling him in Spanish that everything was there. He looked inside and thanked me. I told him he was welcome and walked away. I am not sure what the store manage would have done if I hadn't waited for the rightful owner to show up, but I had no intention of leaving until he did.

I once found a bag of gold in the airport bus at London Heathrow right under my seat as I sat alone and headed for the airport to catch a long distance flight.

I handed the bag full of gold to the bus driver, informing that I discovered it under my seat and requested her to deposit it to the "lost bag" section. God knows what happened later!

I once found a bag of gold in the airport bus at London Heathrow right under my seat as I sat alone and headed for the airport to catch a long distance flight.

I handed the bag full of gold to the bus driver, informing that I discovered it under my seat and requested her to deposit it to the "lost bag" section. God knows what happened later!

He gold plated his bus.

Gold-plated-bus.jpg

Sorry for the long delay. Wasn't on purpose. Thanks for the contributions.

Here is what I did: I found the envelope sticking only partway into the slot of the ATM. The envelope has small holes in it so I could see it was a stack of AR$ 100 bills. I believe there is a limit of 50 bills per envelope per some law here, and by the amount of the stack I figured it was about AR$5000. The first thing I remember thinking is, "This is not my money ... I need to give it back." I took it to the receptionist and asked to see the manager. He was out of the bank at meetings. (FYI - I know these employees. I'm in the bank at least 3 times a week and they are also the bank of my business uses). With one of the floor managers standing there I handed the envelope to the receptionist and told her where I found it. She took the envelope and, after a quick moment, recognized that she had helped an elderly man moments before with the deposit slip and the envelope. She was confident that she knew who it was so I felt confident it would get returned to the rightful owner.

Now, my Argentine friend thought I was really stupid. He said there is no way that the employee would return the money. He said I should have given them my name and contact information and left the bank with the money in my hand to hold for the rightful owner. He said that there is a regulation that they must take my name and number. Perhaps he is correct, but they didn't take my info. Now I'm wondering if the poor guy who lost the money will get it back. I put a call into the bank manager to follow-up. Maybe I can ask for a proof of deposit.

It looks to be true that no good deed goes unpunished. :(

So there was no surprising outcome! I wish I could tell you that somehow I'm sure the guy really got his money back. It is entirely possible. My first thought was what I first said. Basically getting two bank employees involved to minimize the risk. There are honest people out there and if she was the one helping the guy then maybe that made it harder for her to rip him off provided it wasn't some random guy she couldn't see as a real person. Now, considering I thought it was much more than 5000 ARS, the loss might not be as big as I feared. You could always ask her directly, if she hesitates or acts nervous she's lying.

You did the right thing. Good idea to check up on it for some form of proof of deposit. If you get the gentleman's phone number, I'm sure he'd love to thank you by buying you a coffee!

Awesome post, we need more philosophical dilemmas on this forum.

Back