Mcdonalds, Starbcucks and Burger King to be closed down soon!

I don't think it's true. Mc Donalds and Burger King have been surviving worst historical times. Believe me.

earlyretirement said:
But no way McDonalds and Starbucks will close in Buenos Aires. I don't have any idea about Burger King or what their profits are like but no way McDonalds or Starbucks is going to close.

Remember that Starbucks in Argentina is a FRANCHISE, NOT Corporate Owned.

And 100% of their coffee is imported.

And most, if not all, of their teas.

This will be interesting to follow. Working in a Fortune 500 corporation in the US I learned that almost all rumors were actually based in fact. They would be denied and denied--and then they would come to pass. So while I don't wholeheartedly embrace rumors, I don't disregard them either.

Napoleon said:
Remember that Starbucks in Argentina is a FRANCHISE, NOT Corporate Owned.

And 100% of their coffee is imported.

And most, if not all, of their teas.
Right, but coffee doesn't grow in Argentina. Unless they want the country to stop drinking coffee period, they can't really cause the same trouble with the imports that they are for other products.

The one company I can't imagine here to close is McDonalds. It's one of the most profitable companies here and employs thousands of people. I can't see McDonalds importing much of anything first because their food is made up of local ingredients mostly and secondly, people here still see McDonalds as a high end product. McDonalds just rented one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Capital Federal, one the corner of Santa Fe y Callao, rent is $50,000 U$D per month.

Davidglen77 said:
The one company I can't imagine here to close is McDonalds. It's one of the most profitable companies here and employs thousands of people. I can't see McDonalds importing much of anything first because their food is made up of local ingredients mostly and secondly, people here still see McDonalds as a high end product. McDonalds just rented one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Capital Federal, one the corner of Santa Fe y Callao, rent is $50,000 U$D per month.

Do you have a source for the rent of us$50,000. I have a property on the corner of Callao and Santa Fe, and am obviously undercharging.

Harrods here I come !

Davidglen77 said:
McDonalds just rented one of the most expensive pieces of real estate in Capital Federal, one the corner of Santa Fe y Callao, rent is $50,000 U$D per month.

Don't know the accuracy of the prices, but last night our protest march started at that corner. I did notice that McD's had made sure their sign was uncovered. Hahaha!

I can't imagine these places closing. Do you have any idea how much money I spend there?

:D

Davidglen77 said:

Starbucks just put up a nice new 3 story shop at santa fe and callao as well. Which means they have a place now with in 1 block of all the major intersections along that avenue

This is a crazy rumor. Arcos Dorados (the McDonald's master franchisee for Latin America) is an expert in crazy markets and unstable governments. They have been prospering for decades and they are one of the top 10 employers in Latin America. Plus they import almost nothing. All the beef, french fries, bread, etc, is all locally sourced here in Argentina.

My sister-in-law worked at Fargo and their biggest contract was supplying bread to McDonald's here in Argentina. About the only thing McD has to import are the little ketchup packets, which they could easily source locally if they had to. This is a totally unfounded rumor.

solerboy said:
Do you have a source for the rent of us$50,000. I have a property on the corner of Callao and Santa Fe, and am obviously undercharging.

Harrods here I come !

Not an official source, but through a friend of mine who works for a major inmobiliaria on Callao between Santa Fe & Arenales told me this right before that awful bar/restaurant that was there for so many years closed about 6 months ago. If you have a commercial property such as a local or office those rent for a lot more than apartments, and in my opinion a better investment. For example, if you buy an apartment in Capital for $200,000 U$D how much can you rent it for, maybe $5000 pesos a month? If you buy a local comercial for that same price, you can rent it for $10,000 pesos or maybe even more depending on the location - and if the tenant doesn't pay it's a lot easier to get them out because nobody is living there and commercial tenants usually do most of the renovations themselves.

Back