New Dollar Restrictions

solerboy said:
When were todays new restrictions passed by Congresso ?

Cause in this country monetary and financial policy is an attribution of congress? There is a problem when you try to translate and impose the institutions of your country to a different country... of course, yours must be better but countries can (sometimes) decide whatever please them better. Again, not that I agree with the craziness of this government policies.

Todays new restrictions were published in the "Boletín Oficial" and are therefore legal: http://www.boletinoficial.gov.ar/Inicio/Index.castle

expatinowncountry said:
Cause in this country monetary and financial policy is an attribution of congress? There is a problem when you try to translate and impose the institutions of your country to a different country... of course, yours must be better but countries can (sometimes) decide whatever please them better. Again, not that I agree with the craziness of this government policies.

Todays new restrictions were published in the "Boletín Oficial" and are therefore legal: http://www.boletinoficial.gov.ar/Inicio/Index.castle

Yes, we have this type of legislative procedure in my country too. A Government Minister can make minor adjustments without the need to go back to Parlaiment for approval. It is call A Statutary Instrument.

They are normally used for routine matters

They are not normally to curtail Civil Liberties.

I'm going home for a couple of weeks in November. I have the flight already bought and I have everything en blanco. I have no problem in getting my countries' currency, but... I don't think there are many mexican pesos going around Buenos Aires for me to buy. Will they give me dollars instead? Or how will I do then? This is getting ridiculous.

El chabon said:
100 dollar a day is not exactly a lot

You can just squeeze into a night club in Ibiza on a cheap night, but you wont be able to have a drink :(

So what would stop someone taking a US$213 return flight to Santiago, buying $US there where there are no restrictions, flying back and selling on the black market and making a tidy profit? You can bring up to $10,000 into the country, right?

bomber said:
So what would stop someone taking a US$213 return flight to Santiago, buying $US there where there are no restrictions, flying back and selling on the black market and making a tidy profit? You can bring up to $10,000 into the country, right?

That would depend on the ease of disposing of Argentine currency in Chile and also the exchange rate possible.

I dont know the answer to these questions but unless you fancy the trip you probably would be just as well buying in blue here.

bomber said:

Buying US dollars in Chile? ATM Extractions in Chile are possible only in Chilean Pesos with limits. Requesting a $10,000 US Dollar cash advance at a bank teller, against a credit card? Maybe? Must find out.
If you buy dollars with Argentine pesos in Chile, in a Casa de Cambio, the rate applicable is the Blue Rate..!! no gain....?

You have more data...!!

You can easily buy $US from money exchange places, and rate is good. I'm guessing $10,000 worth you'd need a little more paperwork than the max $1,000 I've ever got, but could be done. Sure, you're going to lose a little in the exchange rate, but at some of the black market exchange rates I've heard in BA, you would easily make a profit.

And I'm not talking about buying with Argie pesos, but with hard currency that's actually worth something. ;o)

Back