No Gas In Our Building For The Next Three Months!

Yep go with the instant electric shower head, just making sure it is well grounded. I used one for a year in Guatemala and the P.O.S would shock me on a regular basis while taking a shower. Rent a gas bottle from YPF and buy a burner so you can cook. It is not legal, so take it into your apartment at 3am.
Or join the gym and use the shower there, but that gets old fast.

(Or join the gym and use the shower there, but that gets old fast.)

Not quite, Iam a member of a sport club ( a gym ) go there every day for my excercises and swimming. Immerse in the huge jacuzzi-whirlpool then the powerful water jets massages my lower back and very soothing, then the steam sauna room to sweat out the poisons out of my system..Oh what a relief it is!
So my water bill in my house very economical every month..

You can go to the ferreteria and buy a Calefon Plastico Electrico Ducha 20lts
http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-473696151-calefon-plastico-25-lts-ducha-electrico-resistencia-oferta-_JM
It is easy to install, just remove the tap and places it in its place.

Sorry it's happening to you.

Aside from the days without power, weeks without internet, I remember having no gas for 4-5 months through the late fall, winter and early spring for the same reason. An old man in the building actually died because there was no heat, no hot food, drink or water. Yep, it was pretty hard to see the slooowww moving workers do their thing in the street. Every hour, seemed like they were taking a coffee break.

In comparison, the municipal workers just dug up the street beside me. They dug a trench about 50 meters long to a depth of 2 meters to replace large water pipes. In one week they completed the job and rebuild the road...and nothing was shut off.

Viva el mundo desarollado!

Yea what frenchi suggests is the best way to go about it.Back in the day the were made of enamel tin!!!! i used it at the beach house before our gas was installed,they are safe ,the way we used it was to heat the water for 10 15 mins and before showering we unplugged it
Also as an alternative for cooking i would buy a camping 1 or 2 burner stove they even come with the little butane tank which can be rigged to take a larger tank like the 10 kilos garrafa , add an old trusty toaster oven electric for your counter and you won't even feel the crisis!!! while at it buy some propane lanterns so you are ready for when the power outage comes lol

Arlean the "in the shower" water heaters are safe, but for your own protection have a ground fault insulated outlet installed. Sorry I do not know what they are called in Spanish, but if there is any deviation in the current(like going through feet while in the shower much like an angry husband tossing a toaster into your bath!)It will shut off in a millisecond. I know they are available here (and required by law in kitchens and bathrooms...tho for 100 pesos to the inspector PUUUUUFFFFF ! the law goes away!) I am constantly amazed that this city hasn't gone the way of Chicago circa the Great Chicago Fire. When the gas work in your building is done demand an inspection. after that call Metro gas and tell them you smell gas in the hallway. They will be there right away to reinspect! This second inspection will be more honest...no bribes...possibility of a long time in prison for the inspector!

I really enjoyed all of your comments both here and via email. WOW I knew there was an explosion but didn't know it was from gas. Well in that case I'm not going to complain. Even THIS is better than THAT!.Actually the administration did say something. They said the gas would be off the 20th of this month for repairs. Well I didn't notice anything on the 20th so I thought it must have been an easy fix, I didn't even notice it. On the 23rd it was quite a different story! And the note didn't say for three months. No I don't own but a lot of people do. Maybe they voted to fix it and everyone who was in on the vote already were told how long it was take and everyone was prepared. I don't know.

It just happens I had already planned to go to Chile for three months. I'm just waiting for my passport which really should have been delivered this week. Another expat posted (or maybe she wrote me) that she got hers very quickly and I hope that will be my case as well. If not I'm going to call my lawyer and ask what happens if I go ahead and leave. If it takes two extra months like my citizenship DNI well . . . . I'm not going to want to do that. Thanks again everybody, for the sympathy and for the offer of showers. I think I'll make it but y'all are SO appreciated.
Sorry to say this happened to my cleaner who owns her apt in Congresso. It all got v ugly as the building consortium of owners agreed to hire a gasista to do all the work on all appts but my cleaner felt it was rip off prices and her husband could do it cheaper..in the end they were without gas 5 months over winter as they couldnt get their work signed off (probably due to the other owners!) She was boiling water on the portable gas stove in the kitchen in the middle of winter with a small toddler running about ..doesn't bear thinking about but she at least could shower in our dependencia. So many lessons to be learnt from building owners working together for the faster safest solution instead of mavericks like my cleaners waste of space (incestuous paedophile!) husband who was endangering the whole building through his inflated ego. 3 months is beyond belief even if your building owners are working together. May Chile come sooner rather than later for you and the gas be perfect on your return!

Back