Residencia Rentista

I found a traductora. She wants 1.400 pesos to translate the 3 documents (fbi report, apostille and brokerage letter). Sounds pretty expensive to me.

Anyone have any idea about such prices and whether this is the going rate or not?

Thanks.

I don't know about the going rate but I want to be sure you have an Apostille for your FBI report AND an Apostille for your brokerage letter (which would also have to have been notarized in order to receive the Apostille).

I vaguely recall a post from someone who got a visa rentista with a letter from his accountant, and I think the letter referred to additional documents which supported the "claims" made by the accountant in the letter.

The letter (individually notarized and with the Apostille) that I submitted to migraciones from my bank officer "backed up" the source of the funds (a bank trust) as well as the fact that I could withdraw the funds in Argentina using my ATM card which was issued by the bank.

I also submitted a copy of the trust itself with a cover letter from the lawyer who "created" it. That letter was also notarized and had a separate Apostille. The trust was referred to in the lawyer's letter and "attached" to it. I also had to have it translated and submitted it with the cover letter.

I know some things have changed since then but the point I want to emphasize is that (as far as I know) each foreign document you submit must have it's own Apostille.

I sincerely hope the letter from your brokerage has the Apostille. If it doesn't, migraciones will not accept it.

The brokerage letter does not have its own american apostille. Hmmmmm.

Sounds like we could have a problem.

About 7 months ago, I was going to use an attorney for this process. He said the brokerage letter would get approved if it was on official stationary, with official letterhead, current, signed, and I had an atm card that attached to the relevant account. Of course, that may work for the attorney because he is an argentine attorney. I am not an argentine attorney.

But perhaps I just have to roll the dice at migraciones.

I can't think of another alternative at this point. Getting an apostille for the brokerage letter from the US would take a while. And I don't think I have that much time due to a sick relative. But I sure am open to suggestions or other ideas?

If you could ask the broker to print a new letter and have it notarized, then have someone take it to an office of the Secretary of State to receive the Apostille and then sent it to you by FedEx, that would be ideal.

If you can't accomplish that, then you might as well roll the dice and, as soon as you have your Argentine criminal report, make a turno online to present your documents at migraciones.

You will need the number from the Argentine criminal report to make the turno. If you want to have ab expedited turno it will cost an additional $1500 pesos. I am not absolutely certain, but once you make a "regular" turno you may not be able to change it to an expedited turno. The system might not allow it.

I hope other will post about the need for your brokerage letter to have (or not to have) the Apostille. Perhaps the lawyer would be able to present the letter without the Apostille and have it accepted by migraciones. If he is willing to try you might consider asking if he is also willing to guarantee the results and not charge you if he fails.

Something else to consider: How much would it cost to have a lawyer present your documents in the next couple weeks compared to the cost of starting all over after you return from the USA?

You will need the number from the Argentine criminal report to make the turno.

You don't actually. I just helped a friend through her process (I need to post a thread on it) and she thought she needed the number to make the appt But when she went online and made the appt, it never asked for the number. So the OP can go ahead and make an appt.

Also - I have a very good translator I can recommend. Her name is Karina and her email is [email protected]. She's in Las Canitas - not sure if that is convenient. If you send her a scan of the docs, she will give you a price quote.

Thanks again Steve.

I am going to try and get the brokerage letter notarized, apostilled and brought down by a friend. My reading of the migraciones page is that the document needs to be apostilled in the state in which it was issued. This means I could appeal to the brokerage to have their in-house notary do the notarization and send it on immediately to the state entity for apostille, with receipt address to my friend who will be down here in less than 3 weeks.

It is an elaborate plan, potentially subject to many potholes along the way. But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I like your approach of going in, all I's dotted, all T's crossed. Leaving nothing to chance and all bases covered. In my experience, this is always the best.

Thanks citygirl. I just sent your amiga an email.

I found out last night from another translator (who has too much work to take my case), that the 1.400 peso price was high. She said a reasonable going rate is .65 pesos per word of english. And there is a charge of 165 pesos per document to be authenticated in some way. But one of my pages has about 20 words, so the 350 pesos per page that the first traductora wanted would be considered high. The reasonably-priced traductora would be charging 13 pesos for that document.

Hope this helps someone.

Thanks again Steve.

I am going to try and get the brokerage letter notarized, apostilled and brought down by a friend. My reading of the migraciones page is that the document needs to be apostilled in the state in which it was issued. This means I could appeal to the brokerage to have their in-house notary do the notarization and send it on immediately to the state entity for apostille, with receipt address to my friend who will be down here in less than 3 weeks.

It is an elaborate plan, potentially subject to many potholes along the way. But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I like your approach of going in, all I's dotted, all T's crossed. Leaving nothing to chance and all bases covered. In my experience, this is always the best.

I'm glad you actually went to the migraciones website and confirmed the need to have all documents receive the Apostille for yourself. I hope your plan to get the Apostille for the letter works and you have it in hand soon. I still believe it would be a good idea to have the broker refer to and "attach" proof of the last two month's distributions to you in the amount of dollars that is equivalent to $8.000 pesos (at the official rate). If you aren't currently receiving the distributions I suggest you start immediately. Also be sure the letter clearly states that this is a stable (uninterruptible) source of income that you will continue to receive as long as you are a temporary resident of Argentina. You will have to provide an updated letter if and when you renew your temporary residency.

Thanks Steve.

Regards the letter and attachment, I got that done yesterday. The brokerage put some wording in the letter, indicating that the account, the statements and the atm card were all attached. They then indicated that, via the atm card, I have access to this account and all its funds, at any time, all over the world. They were quite good about it.

Only thing I have not done is begin to access the account in the manner you suggest. That will begin shortly.

.They then indicated that, via the atm card, I have access to this account and all its funds, at any time, all over the world. They were quite good about it.

Only thing I have not done is begin to access the account in the manner you suggest. That will begin shortly.

I hope you don't actually use your ATM card in Argentina. I never suggested that. You will lose about 30% compared to what you would receive (in pesos) if you transfer the funds to yourself using XOOM. When I wrote that I hope you start receiving the distributions from the brokerage I was referring to the brokerage making monthly distributions/deposits to your US bank account. If you can (or must) make those transfers yourself then I suggest you begin doing so. If you can make a XOOM transfer from your brokerage account then just do that.

If you can't make a XOOM transfer from your brokerage account, as soon as the funds from the brokerage are actually in a bank account. I suggest you make a couple transfers by XOOM to yourself in Argentina. Keep the receipts to show to migraciones. They shouldn't care about the fact that you used XOOM instead of an ATM, just that you are able to receive the funds in Argentina.

Be prepared to furnish XOOM's Argentine partner with the same information you have from the brokerage that you are going to provide to migraciones.
Unlike migraciones, this information does not have to have the Apostille or be translated. In fact, you can scan what you now have and send it by email to XOOMs Argentine partner (RECLAMOS MORE) immediately after you initiate the first transfer and have the transfer number. You will also need to fill out a couple of "declaration" forms to send to Reclamos More. They are available in English and are easy to complete,

PS: What I have written here is based on the fact that I cannot make XOOM transfers from my brokerage account but I can from my checking account and I have scheduled automatic monthly transfers from the brokerage account to my checking account. I did this simply by faxing a standing order to send a check to my bank once a month.

Back