Residencia Rentista

Thanks Steve.

All of your communications have been 100% clear. I did not interpret you to tell me to use the ATM at official rate.

Your info on how to get XOOM started is amazing. I can't thank you enough.

I found a traductora. She wants 1.400 pesos to translate the 3 documents (fbi report, apostille and brokerage letter). Sounds pretty expensive to me.

Anyone have any idea about such prices and whether this is the going rate or not?

Thanks.

You are correct about the fee being high. There is an established rate PER DOCUMENT by certified translators, and that's what they're supposed to charge. They don't charge by the word, by page, etc.

I had my FBI no records on file letter with apostille translated for 170 pesos (Oct 2012). Legalization at the College of Translators was 80 pesos.

My public translator (who is a retired lawyer) pointed out that the fees are set by the board of translators, and no one gets rich doing this kind of work.

I found a traductora. She wants 1.400 pesos to translate the 3 documents (fbi report, apostille and brokerage letter). Sounds pretty expensive to me.

Anyone have any idea about such prices and whether this is the going rate or not?

Thanks.

That sounds like about minimum rate for "traductores publicos."

http://www.traductores.org.ar/aranceles-minimos

You are correct about the fee being high. There is an established rate PER DOCUMENT by certified translators, and that's what they're supposed to charge. They don't charge by the word, by page, etc.

I had my FBI no records on file letter with apostille translated for 170 pesos (Oct 2012). Legalization at the College of Translators was 80 pesos.

My public translator (who is a retired lawyer) pointed out that the fees are set by the board of translators, and no one gets rich doing this kind of work.

The price set by the Colegio de Traductores Publicos is a "minimo sugerido." Any individual translator is free to charge more.

The translator quoted an unreasonably high fee for two documents from English to Spanish in category I.

I came across the new legalization fees as of July 1, 2015, as published in the College of Translators magazine for June/August 2015:

SIMPLE - $165AP (in 24 hours)

URGENT - $180AP (in 20 minutes while you wait)

The translator quoted an unreasonably high fee for two documents from English to Spanish in category I.

I came across the new legalization fees as of July 1, 2015, as published in the College of Translators magazine for June/August 2015:

SIMPLE - $165AP (in 24 hours)

URGENT - $180AP (in 20 minutes while you wait)

That's just the legalization fee to be clear. (Which is not the translation fee)

Typically all translators have a MINIMUM fee. IE - no one is going to translate a doc for 13 pesos ;) Usually it's a few hundred pesos. But it's worth shopping around. The last doc I had translated, I got quotes from 350 pesos to 1100.

So the brokerage does not have an in-house notary and they will not send the brokerage letter on to be apostilled.

I have an original, signed copy of the brokerage letter being sent immediately to a friend in Connecticut, who will be in BA 7/14.

I wonder if I need the original brokerage letter apostilled in Nebraska, which is where the brokerage is headquartered? Or if I could get it notarized and apostilled in Connecticut, which would likely be a lot faster for my friend to accomplish.

Any other ideas for the most effective and efficient solution would be appreciated. Thanks gang.

I hope someone can contradict this, but I don't think you can get the Apostille for a letter unless it as been notarized. Official (state or county issued) documents (birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc) don't need to be notarized to receive the Apostille. I don't know if you can get the Apostille in a different state than the one in which the letter originated.

I did not have a letter from my brokerage when I applied for or renewed my temporary residency. I had an officer at my home town bank write a letter (I actually composed it) that included my US address and passport number (and the issue and expiration dates) as well as my bank account account information and my address in Argentina.

The letter confirmed that I was receiving monthly deposits from the brokerage (and had been for some time). It was notarized by another employee at the bank.

I was very fortunate that my brother still lives in the home town and could pick up the letter at the bank and send to to a friend of mine in Chicago whose office as about a block from an office of the Secretary Of State of Illinois. She sent one of her law clerks to get the Apostille and then sent the letter to me in BA by FedEx.

PS: I'm sure the bank would have sent the letter to Chicago but my brother had another document to send to me (not visa related) that needed the Apostille.

I don't think you can get the Apostille for a letter unless it as been notarized. Official (state or county issued) documents (birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc) don't need to be notarized to receive the Apostille. I don't know if you can get the Apostille in a different state than the one in which the letter originated.

All is correctly stated.

The notary seal must be affixed and signed when the letter is written because the notary attests knowledge of the signature.

Im really sorry - I've tried searching and I can't find a clear answer. Are there some clear requirements as to what documents you actually need to bring for this type of visa? It seems that the document that you'd bring that shows you have passive income is extremely vague and that there isnt a clear description of what they are looking for.

Also, I currently have a work visa which expires in November, and I want to renew it as a rentista. Anyone know if its possible to "renew" my existing visa under a different category, or would I have to be applying for a "new" visa?

Back