Robbed In La Boca Yesterday, No Access To Cctv?

This!

Plus - Do you have renters insurance on a property in either the US or the UK? If so, your renters insurance might very well cover the theft. I had my laptop stolen in 2007 (before I knew better than to put by backpack on the floor). Filed a police report, faxed it to my insurance company, and they wired money to my account within 24 hours.
The same happened to us, our homeowner's insurance in the States, covered a theft of our ipad mini in Ecuador.
Nancy

I just put a deposit on a department in Palermo, what I am told is Palermo Soho (I'm too green to be sure if that's true or not).

If you provide the name of the street and the round number of the block (600 for example) where your future apartment is located, other members will be able to tell you if it's actually in Palermo Soho.

Ads (and individuals) that falsely claim that an apartment is in Palermo Soho or Recoleta are fairly common.

Theft in the street can happen anywhere. Last year, pickpocketing in LaBoca was featured in an episode of the TV program Scam City. Previous posts have strongly advised expats not to walk through the streets of La Boca, but they are now hidden deep in the archives of the forum.

If you provide the name of the street and the round number of the block (600 for example) where your future apartment is located, other members will be able to tell you if it's actually in Palermo Soho.

Ads (and individuals) that falsely claim that an apartment is in Palermo Soho or Recoleta are fairly common.

Theft in the street can happen anywhere. Last year, pickpocketing in LaBoca was featured in an episode of the TV program Scam City. Previous posts have strongly advised expats not to walk through the streets of La Boca, but they are now hidden deep in the archives of the forum.

When I'm in town, I regularly walk through La Boca, but I am attentive to my surroundings.

When I'm in town, I regularly walk through La Boca, but I am attentive to my surroundings.

I am sure you will be very attentive if and when you are suddenly surrounded by a gang of youths who are intent on robbing you.

And I'm sure when they realize how attentive you are they will change their minds and leave you alone.

I thought about posting the street name and block, but decided that security trumps other considerations. And it was the cab driver who took me there that said it was Soho, not the owner. She just said Palermo.

My new landlady and her hubby seem like really nice people. I went over to look at it once, she and her mother were there and were very nice. Then went back Saturday and met her and her other half to make a deposit.

They were very hospitable, offered me tea and cookies, and we sat talking for a good half hour before they brought up business. I let them set the pace of the conversation, suppressing my aggressively American instinct to "cut to the chase", because I know in some cultures it's very rude to skip the small talk and bring up business too soon. All in all, it was a very pleasant visit, and I got a seriously positive vibe from them both.

I could have had a place for less in San Telmo, but it was a monoambiente on the 9th floor, it had no oven, and there were only two burners on the stove. This place in Palermo has a separate bedroom, a small oven with full stovetop, and is within probably-survivable jumping distance of the ground.

But security may be an issue, granted. Maybe I can find a sword cane on mercado libre...

I thought about posting the street name and block, but decided that security trumps other considerations. And it was the cab driver who took me there that said it was Soho, not the owner. She just said Palermo.

So post the name of a nearby street and add 100 to the block number...then no one here will know where you will be living...just the creeps in the shadows who see a yanqui coming and going from the actual building once you are living there...or someone who follows you home after overhearing one of your "random encounters" with a complete stranger in a restaurant or bar...or even on a bus.

Well, Steve, I don't want to tempt the fates by saying something cocky, so I'll just nod and agree that you're probably right. After all, you've been here far longer than I have, and I'm sure you know the city much better than I.

http://youtu.be/VTsD2FjmLsw

I'm not questioning what you say, just trying to be sure I understand. Is this the Plaza Serrano you're talking about, in Palermo?

http://es.wikipedia....i/Plaza_Serrano

And is that article accurate in saying Palermo Soho is the same as Palermo Viejo? I'm concerned with being sure I understand, because I just put a deposit on a department in Palermo, what I am told is Palermo Soho (I'm too green to be sure if that's true or not).

All of it's Palermo. Palermo Soho, Hollywood, Queens don't exist on the map. They're areas recently given those names by popularity, but if you were to look at a map of all the neighborhoods in Buenos Aires it would just say Palermo. Palermo Soho and Hollywood used to be called Palermo Viejo, then you have Alto Palermo and Palermo Chico as well.

I am sure you will be very attentive if and when you are suddenly surrounded by a gang of youths who are intent on robbing you.

And I'm sure when they realize how attentive you are they will change their minds and leave you alone.

Unlike Ayn's evangelists, I manage to get by without a gun.

I find that if I say I live in Olivos, people turn their noses up at me.
But if I say I live in La Lucila or Martinez, they instantly love me and start calling me darling.
And if I say that I live the river side of Libertador, they want me to move in with them.
It's incredible really.
The worst thing I said once was that I lived in the Panamericana side of Martinez, which killed the conversation stone dead.

Back