Spanish-American Newcomer's Observations

It definitely has to do with earning in pesos. If you do the math, a lot of things are cheaper in USD dollars or Euros, but the salaries here are low and stay low, plus there are a lot of taxes. Inflation is crazy and salaries cannot keep up!

Rease said:
It definitely has to do with earning in pesos. If you do the math, a lot of things are cheaper in USD dollars or Euros, but the salaries here are low and stay low, plus there are a lot of taxes. Inflation is crazy and salaries cannot keep up!

If you do the math, a large amount of the things are the same price or more (often significantly so) expensive here.

One of the things that took me aback was the lack of high quality fresh products and the price of them. I've shopped at COTO, Disco, Carrefor and I am surprised that for a country that has great variety in land it offers such a poor variety and quality. The Chinese markets seem to offer slightly better quality but still lack of variety. I have spent significant time in Lima, Peru over the years and while they are also a developing country at least the quality of food and amount of variety are incredible and vast. You can also truly say the food is cheap there. Electronics and clothes is also expensive there but those things aren't essential like nutrition.

I find the food prices in Argentina to be in line with US grocery prices from the Pacific Northwest. For example, in the US I can buy a small avocado from Chile for about US$1, same avocado in Argentina in Recoleta is about AR$8, in Peru a huge avocado 3 times the size of Chilean avocado is about Soles /1.5 less than 40 cents US.

In terms of safety and security I feel Argentina lacks signifcantly in that department although I can't say Lima is tons better. To me though those two elements are priceless.

Bella27 said:
One of the things that took me aback was the lack of high quality fresh products and the price of them. I've shopped at COTO, Disco, Carrefor and I am surprised that for a country that has great variety in land it offers such a poor variety and quality. The Chinese markets seem to offer slightly better quality but still lack of variety. I have spent significant time in Lima, Peru over the years and while they are also a developing country at least the quality of food and amount of variety are incredible and vast. You can also truly say the food is cheap there. Electronics and clothes is also expensive there but those things aren't essential like nutrition.

I find the food prices in Argentina to be in line with US grocery prices from the Pacific Northwest. For example, in the US I can buy a small avocado from Chile for about US$1, same avocado in Argentina in Recoleta is about AR$8, in Peru a huge avocado 3 times the size of Chilean avocado is about Soles /1.5 less than 40 cents US.

In terms of safety and security I feel Argentina lacks signifcantly in that department although I can't say Lima is tons better. To me though those two elements are priceless.

Again thinking that Argentina is Buenos Aires, Argentina is between the 3 safest country's in Latin America, off course Latam is not exactly the safest region lol :) , just to clarify this are the stadistic per 100.000 habitant in the continent so i put some facts:

El Salvador 74
Honduras 61
Venezuela 49
Colombia 39
Brazil 27
Ecuador 19
Mexico 14
Paraguay 12.33
....... ( To many countrys to put all of them, if you are interested you can see the complete list by googlin Ginebra Declaration of violence)
Uruguay (6.1)
Argentina (5.45)
United States (5.01)
Chile (3.1)

So Argentina is around 5 times safer than brazil and 14 times safer than the most dangerous in the region. I would like to look for some info of Buenos Aires in particular but don't have time right now, i found that is not considered a dangerous city but who knows what they compare it with in this studys, in any case more info would be preciated.

Lamarque what are those figures? (you mentioned it was a statistic per 100.000 inhabitants but didnt say what statistic). I am assuming its murder rates...

A couple of points:
- statistics coming from Argentina can never be believed. I wonder how and where the data was collated from an Arg point of view...
- IF this is only murder rates, you cant just conclude on safety based on that. What about other crimes. You would probably need some wider measures: armed robberys, theft, rape etc. For example, based on these figures your conclusion Lamarque would be, Argentina is pretty much as safe as the United States. I call bullsh*t.
- when are these figures from? It is widely believed crime has increased signicantly in the past cpl of years. In fact, just read an article in La Nacion (I think only a week or so ago) which mentioned the significant increase in attemped robberies that turned in to murder...
- look at the countries above Argentina: should we really be comparing ourselves with Honduras and Paraguay?
- still above Chile!

trennod said:
Lamarque what are those figures? (you mentioned it was a statistic per 100.000 inhabitants but didnt say what statistic). I am assuming its murder rates...

A couple of points:
- statistics coming from Argentina can never be believed. I wonder how and where the data was collated from an Arg point of view...
- IF this is only murder rates, you cant just conclude on safety based on that. What about other crimes. You would probably need some wider measures: armed robberys, theft, rape etc. For example, based on these figures your conclusion Lamarque would be, Argentina is pretty much as safe as the United States. I call bullsh*t.
- when are these figures from? It is widely believed crime has increased signicantly in the past cpl of years. In fact, just read an article in La Nacion (I think only a week or so ago) which mentioned the significant increase in attemped robberies that turned in to murder...
- look at the countries above Argentina: should we really be comparing ourselves with Honduras and Paraguay?
- still above Chile!

I didn't say that Argentina is the safest places ever, i just put the stadistics, and not, they are not Argentines stadistics they are from the Ginebra convention, a world recognized organization that don't have nothing to do with Argentina. You are right about that this is not taking into account other type of crimes but at least is accurate, is the only index you can measure world wide because everybody report them not like other crimes, if i put a ranking based on how many ''denuncias'' of robbery have been register then what is the point, lot of people don't go to the police for a robbery well at least not for a insignificant one, so then you will complain about the inaccuracy of that, that why i prefer to put something that is not refutable and most important you can know commonly the countrys that had less homicide per 100k habitant a year are the most secures statistically talking, in the only case that this is not aplicable is when there is a war in the country (when this happen the homicide rate is not proporcional to the other criminal activities rate), and i don't know what you think but for me the most scaring crime is some one killing me and truly is quite nice to know that is not so bad as people finish thinking by reading all the day clarin ;) lol
In any case in Latam is the second safest country only surpased by chile, then we can discuss how much it had raised the criminal activity but that is an entirely diferent discussion, and you can check about what part of the criminal activity is in Buenos Aires and what about the rest of the country i just was wondering about real facts and so i investigate a little about this, i hope this help to clarify a little ;)
Btw the data is very updated they have the stadistics year by year updated, later i will search the tendency year by year and i let you know how was the progress in the last years, i would think that has been getting worst, but who know in this country if you read clarin you think that we are in pakistan and if you read the government media then you think you are in the paradise, in this country is really necesary a media group that say only the true not all again the government and not all in favor to the government, would be nice just a little true from time to time.

Back