Summer And Power Outages,how Well Prepared Are We?

Where in Balvanera are you? I am on Av. de Mayo and 9 de Julio and while we had a power outage 2 days ago for a few hours we have been lucky these last 2 days. Last year when I lived right at the Plaza next to Congreso, we were without power and water for 5 days. It was awful. I'll never forget my 95 year old neighbor who couldn't leave her apartment having to depend on the neighbors for buckets of water every day. No assistance at all from the city or national government.

I started reading FerFAL's account (Google him, please) of the 2001 meltdown n what changed in peoples' lives. He is a prolific writer with a lot of common sense. Did I mention he is a genuinely nice guy? When the power went out in some zonas in 2001,
it stayed off for several weeks... but, not generally in places where the majority of expats live. As a sailboat captain, I know how to live of the grid... even off-off the grid (if you have ever been to sea n had to figure out how to manufacture your own fresh water, you know what I mean).

It makes sense to have a bit of stored water n canned goods put by... all Gulf Coast residents are used to supply bottoming out n fistfights breaking out in grocery stores with empty shelves during hurricane preps. Most of you should have a plan to feed your family for a week with no electric or water... just saying. I put aside a few 2 litre soft drink plastic bottles of water with 4 drops of liquid bleach n stored them in a dark place. Light causes mold to grown in the strangest places.I buy an extra can or two of food every week just in case. I have a small propane stove, but don't anticipate ever needing it... too many folks depend on gas. Lack of storage space here limits my enthusiasm for going all Prepper-head.

Per FerFAL, the store shelves in his barrio were bare for quite a while in quite a few occasions. Folks in Barrio Norte n Palermo, etc are probably going to experience only a few days of service denial... n no zombies. I experienced low stocks several times n even a few bare shelves during my time in Mar del Plata.

Suerte

So far escaping the power cuts.. I travel all over the city, am not a Palermoite and bare shelves I have not seen. Supply problems where you need to change your brand of cream cheese but no "no hay comida para la criatura " type desperation.
Walmart has gone to a JIT system for example which always happens when economics dictate a slowdown in spending, so if that is all you see then you could be given to think there is shortages. With Xmas now they have restocked a lot. Neighbourhood stores are normally stocked in Liniers, Mataderos and Vicente lopez for example as I have witnessed on my travels.
it is a good idea if you are an apartment dweller to have water on hand because of the reliance on water pumps. Non perishable foods for some days are all a good idea but just don't panic. It is simply too hot for that.

Panic will kill you but fear,once is incorporated to your day to day life ,will keep you alive and will make you think ahead of time to prevent a major discomfort in the event of an extended blackout
The way i see it ,we prevent out of fear,we fear not having baby formula or enough water etc so we act according to the needs we might foresee
Having a power generator,in my opinion, has to be the worst way to make it thru this particular time(or anytime for that matter)Other sources or power can be installed at a much lower price with much less impact on the enviroment not to mention the logistics on getting gasoline to an 8th floor(first finding a gas station close by which may or may not have power and second,huffing your 2 gallons of gas up the stairs)
I think ,if there's anything to be learnt from this situation is how we prepare ourselves to cope on the next crisis,please by no means dream that this is a once in a life time event,around here things only get worst as far as services are concerned.
I'm writting with most of you folks living in the city (apartments and such)in mind.My situation is way different being out here 2 blocks from the middle of nowhere.Having an extra propane tank is by no means considered a disaster prep, it's just everyday life.
I do feel bad for you folks going thru some uncomfortable times with the blackouts,However,having been living here long enough,i learnt that when the lights go out all you have left is your wits and how well set up you were before hand without getting into a paranoid state of mind,just as natural as having a spare tire in your car.
When i started this thread i wanted to get some feed back and also make you think about it if you never considered the fact that these things happen in Argentina all the time
So to round up the idea here ,i would say find a solar back up systems for your fridge and have your pantry stocked
As well all know it is not advisable to go for groceries in a black out even if the stores have stock and power (good people do bad things when desperate)
This message was brought to you by the paranoid militia anti everything except myself :p
over and out

I lived like you in Spain for a couple of years Mc Kenna.
Solar panels which charged huge deep cycle batteries assisted by a wind charger.
Water delivered by tanker.
No phone or power.
Never been happier.

Neighbors hijacked an EDESUR team of workers and truck until they turn power on....

3rd day without power, Paraguay esq Maipu. Elevators dont work, but its only 11 floors in my case.

3rd day without power in my neighbourhood (border of monserrat and constitucion). Not great when you have paying guests and the water tank is nearly empty and pump runs on electric....neighbours protesting in the streets, burning stuff.

Back