Summer And Power Outages,how Well Prepared Are We?

I started reading FerFAL's account (Google him, please) of the 2001 meltdown n what changed in peoples' lives. He is a prolific writer with a lot of common sense. Did I mention he is a genuinely nice guy? ....

In addition to his web site, it seems FerFAL also has a youtube account. Here's his commentary on the rolling blackouts. I enjoyed the bit at the end, 18:41, where he wraps it up talking about a judge who gets his own little power plant from Edesur during the blackouts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0UongJ2SKc

So how is everyone doing re the power cuts?

We got the elevator back, and lights back in the most apartments, yesterday (so 4 nights without) and still have no water (6th night). At least having the elevator means not having to carry buckets up many flights of stairs, but someone lost (or broke) the hose for the tap so now the building foyer is constantly awash with water.

What the government (and the media) is not yet talking about is that with all the water buckets people will start having about ('just in case'), and the heat, we are probably in for a peak mosquito season. And then there will be worries about dengue. It would be great if people here put aside blame and started to join the dots about the real cost of power outages.

Just a reminder: If it isn't essential, TURN IT OFF!

(And have a happy festive season.)
La Fleur (near Facultad)

For what it's worth, my "first world" city has been hit with a massive ice storm this weekend. Nearly 500,000 homes--most in the older parts of the city where wiring is still above ground--are still without power, and most of those are without heat as well. Also many in high rises are without water, for the same reasons as in BA. The city is warning that a substantial number could be powerless for up to 72 more hours, effectively cancelling Christmas for those affected.

While this is not an annual event in Toronto, it is occurring more frequently than it should ... illustrating perhaps that Argentina is not the only country failing to make necessary infrastructure upgrades.

Our power came back on Friday night/ Saturday morning. Just wondering when it's going to go out again...

So how is everyone doing re the power cuts?

We got the elevator back, and lights back in the most apartments, yesterday (so 4 nights without) and still have no water (6th night). At least having the elevator means not having to carry buckets up many flights of stairs, but someone lost (or broke) the hose for the tap so now the building foyer is constantly awash with water.

What the government (and the media) is not yet talking about is that with all the water buckets people will start having about ('just in case'), and the heat, we are probably in for a peak mosquito season. And then there will be worries about dengue. It would be great if people here put aside blame and started to join the dots about the real cost of power outages.

Just a reminder: If it isn't essential, TURN IT OFF!

(And have a happy festive season.)
La Fleur (near Facultad)

Si.... not to mention the cases of back pains and lumbar discs damage from carrying buckets of water up stairs....! ;)

In case we lose power I have one AR-15 with Leupold sights, a Remington 12-guage shotgun with a folding stock, a S&W 9MM with laser sights, and a Samurai sword and hundreds of rounds of ammo. That should feed my family for weeks.

B)

Lol I used to think the same way until i tried to take a bite off of my shotgun and turned out it didn't taste all that great and i broke a couple of teeth,that's when i decided to stock up on food to feed the family :p

Losing power and water etc also depends on which part of the town you are living in , what kind of building you are living in. All equally proportional to the rent you pay.

http://www.infobae.com/2013/12/26/1533359-una-funcionaria-escribio-un-mensaje-los-cortes-luz-y-ahora-piden-su-renuncia

i'll just leave this here. :rolleyes:

Back