The deal with Argentine men and their "girl" friends

esllou

Registered
OK, I've waited 2 years to make this post because I didn't want to rush in shouting off my mouth about something I didn't really "get".

In my two years I've been here, I've now counted around 10 examples of friends/gfs/colleagues who have told me about friends/gfs/sisters/brothers, etc who are involved in relationships where the guy is anywhere between 22 and 35 and the girl is 14 or 15 years of age, perhaps 16 at a push.

now in my country, there's a couple of names for that type of thing, the one you'd most use in polite company being "statutory rape".

and these are not one off fumbles in the back of a car...these are girlfriend/boyfriend things that go on for weeks and months at a time, seemingly with the blessing of all families involved.

Have I just been unlucky enough to have come across some odd statistical cluster or is this really a common thing here??

Another thing, related I suppose. One friend told me about her last year of school (which I presume was when she was 17/18) and the "tradition" of the teacher getting to sleep with one of the girls he chose. They all went bowling, had a few drinks, then the girls all flounced off to the bathrooms to make themselves look pretty...it was just the "done thing", no scandal or anything. Wondering if the selected girl's father would have been quite so understanding.

From what I've seen, you're not crazy. Its definitely more common and socially acceptable, even if it may technically be illegal.

It's kind of disgusting.

Yep, I've seen a lot of these cases as well. Disturbing, indeed.

Whilst I can't say I have come across the situations you refer to, and as a teacher of local students I can assure you THAT situation never arose, it is common and natural for Argentine women to date older men, far more so than I am familiar with in my own country.

It would be interesting to hear from the locals who inhabit this forum as to their take on this social standard.... Over to you....

This is not, and has never been, accepted or normal in my social circles. i do not know what kind of people you interact with. This is also a crime included in the criminal code. I find it disgusting and disturbing. Usually that is some older guy with money taking advantage of an underage.

Celia said:
According to wikipedia, the age of consent is lower in this country...doesn't look like it's illegal unless coersion is taking place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_South_America#Argentina
Not very clear what the cut off age is, seems to suggest 13 with some restrictions!

Yes, I have asked about the age of consent to pretty much all the people who told me these tales...and it doesn't make it less "icky" IMHO. One friend had a friend's sister coming to her 15th birthday (which is the big one here, like our sweet sixteen) with her 32 year old boyfriend. The mind boggles just thinking about it. You want to take the guy to one side and say "really? she was 14 yesterday...you don't see any problem in that? Having problems getting a grown up woman, eh?"

PhilipDT said:
From what I've seen, you're not crazy. Its definitely more common and socially acceptable, even if it may technically be illegal.

It's kind of disgusting.

Technically it is legal.
Under 12 is rape no matter what.
Over 12 it is rape only if there was an abuse regarding the lack of sexual experience of the victim or coercion, of course.

The law used to be different and they changed it because otherwise in the country side 40% of the marriage with children (famillies) were considered illegal what makes no sense.

Some puritan societies have moral issues regarding this and some other lterrible things like alcohol drinking by an adult. We don´t, and we drink a lot less alcohol than those who are prohibiting even to drink a beer on the street to an adult (NYC).
Regards

Well, I think it goes on in UK, but it's not out in the open...I remember when I was at school, girls of 15 going out with 30 year olds...

nikad said:
This is not, and has never been, accepted or normal in my social circles. i do not know what kind of people you interact with. This is also a crime included in the criminal code. I find it disgusting and disturbing. Usually that is some older guy with money taking advantage of an underage.
I have to agree with Nikad here. Also it is more common to see young women with quite much older man but not the other way around... yet.:D

Back