There is something I don't get...

ssr said:
Well, then, jeez, ALELI, you should be no stranger to bitching and moaning about life in the big city. You just missing home or something and upset that some expats are talking smack about it here on the internets?

You wanna complain about NYC any time, I'm here for you. I'm sure I have far worse things to say about the place than you do. :)

If you wanna bitch about Los Angeles, let me know.. I have a phone book full of complaints. And it was still of the best places I lived. The very best being San Diego and I have almost no complaints about that city.

ALELI said:
Hi iStar,
I actually have two passports, one argentinian and one italian, I have visited 36 countries in my whole life (around Europe, north and central America, Asia and Africa), I have attended graduate studies in Europe and due to some personal circumstances I lived the last two years in NYC...

Unveiled. On which passport did you enter the US. Be truthful.

ssr said:
Well, then, jeez, ALELI, you should be no stranger to bitching and moaning about life in the big city. You just missing home or something and upset that some expats are talking smack about it here on the internets?

You wanna complain about NYC any time, I'm here for you. I'm sure I have far worse things to say about the place than you do. :)

No Ssr, I am currently living in BA, I came back a few months ago, I have a wonderful family here and me and my husband just stayed a couple of years in NYC because of his job. And when I was living there, I didn't miss home much but didn't complain about NYC too much either, I think it is a wonderful city and enjoyed it as much as possible. I think that when people is in peace with themselves they find peace and magic everywhere they stay, sometimes the trip is more to the 'inside' of each of us than just taking a plane and going somewhere else, and please, of course I am not speaking about anyone in particular, I'm just generalizing...

ghost said:
Unveiled. On which passport did you enter the US. Be truthful.

I entered with a special visa because my husband is a diplomat, but FYI, europeans can stay legally under the visa waiver programme for 3 month in the US and argentinian with a tourist visa can stay maximun 6 month,

By the way, how old are you? you seem to be very immature and have quite weak arguments for a debate...

Are you folks kidding me?

The biggest group of complainers in this country? The Argentines themselves! I have never ever seen a group of people complain about so many things, I mean it's almost sport to them. I have never been anywhere here in Buenos Aires when there was not someone bitching and complaining about something, everything from politics to the prices at the grocery store. And yes they do complain about the shit on the sidewalks and the sidewalks themselves.

Now it could be that I live in amongst the locals and don't hang out with any "expats" except for here on this forum. But I can tell you that the bitching and complaining - I prefer to call it commiserating - that we do ain't nothing compared to them. No way, not even close. Even their castellano has sort of morphed into a sort of whiny spanish, add in the hand gestures, and good lord man are you kidding me?

So I will commiserate, and bitch and complain, whenever I damn well feel like it. After all, I am just trying to assimilate into the society here right?

;-)

Mark

wow! what a great thread!

I love and I hate how porteños care what I think about their city and country. I really couldn't care less what foreigners living in the US think about the country.

Here, on the other hand, I find it very seductive that people [appear] to care what I think about them and their country. On the other hand, I'm always forced to lie, or at least give a simplistic answer because the truth is complex [it always is] and nobody's interested in my explications anyhow.

markbsas said:
Are you folks kidding me?

The biggest group of complainers in this country? The Argentines themselves! I have never ever seen a group of people complain about so many things, I mean it's almost sport to them. I have never been anywhere here in Buenos Aires when there was not someone bitching and complaining about something, everything from politics to the prices at the grocery store. And yes they do complain about the shit on the sidewalks and the sidewalks themselves.

Now it could be that I live in amongst the locals and don't hang out with any "expats" except for here on this forum. But I can tell you that the bitching and complaining - I prefer to call it commiserating - that we do ain't nothing compared to them. No way, not even close. Even their castellano has sort of morphed into a sort of whiny spanish, add in the hand gestures, and good lord man are you kidding me?

So I will commiserate, and bitch and complain, whenever I damn well feel like it. After all, I am just trying to assimilate into the society here right?

;-)

Mark

It is very true, Argentine complain and whine and bit** a lot, but imagine this picture: Argentine expats living in Texas talking crap about the US, the city, the govt, etc, what are the odds locals actively look for them to beat the c**p out of them? Come on! Americans are very nationalistic im general, and in our own way, we are here too...

ALELI said:
Hi iStar,
I actually have two passports, one argentinian and one italian, I have visited 36 countries in my whole life (around Europe, north and central America, Asia and Africa), I have attended graduate studies in Europe and due to some personal circumstances I lived the last two years in NYC...

You are very fortunate to have visited so many different places. :) Although most Argentine friends I have 25-39 have never left the country, not because they don't want to but because they can't afford to.

In your travels, I'm certain there were things you particularly didn't like and probably complained about, its human nature. What might have bothered you might not have bothered others.

My point is, surely someone who has traveled as much as you have, you can't tell me Buenos Aires doesn't have a problem with dog crap, pollution, broken sidewalks and garbage on the streets.

It's just calling a spade a spade. NOTHING PERSONAL.

Yes other cities also have their "issues" but this is BAEXPATS.

Back