Venting on BAexpats...

Face reality. The world’s a mess. Pick a country with great wine and steak, and enjoy what time you have left.
I am not saying that you are wrong with your - may I say hedonistic? - views.

But I think it is - as I mentioned in another thread - a question of where you are in life, your perspectives. If you are relatively young, have small kids then naturally you are very interested that the country you live in has some kind of future. I am getting very annoyed about the things happening here in politics just because I believe they prevent the country from becoming kind of a normal country where people have a future, especially the younger generation. So what is going on here in politics and society will most likely drive me out of the country in the mid or long term because you obviously want the best for your kids (although there are a ton of things I really love here). If I had no kids and no stakes here in Argentina, I would see things here very differently (and probably very much like you).

The other thing that surprises me sometimes are the comparisons with the likes of Congo, Haiti etc. Of course you will always find some countries that are worse off. So what is the point? Should I be grateful for that? Apart from Venezuela the decline of this country over the last decades (or century) is probably unique. So why it should not compare itself with some average European country at least?

It's a weird argument to make. You should be happy with problems in Argentina becuase they are not as bad as the problems in Congo.

I have never lived in Congo, unfortunately. I have lived in the UK, Argentina, and a few other places in Europe and extended stays in Asia. I obviously base my opinions on what I know and have experienced. Every complaint I have about Argentina is valid when compared to the other places I have lived. Doesn't mean those other places are without problems but I am in Argentina now and this is a forum about Argentina, not Spain. It also doesn't mean I hate Argentina or don't want to live here.

And I am not comparing to the USA, a place I have never lived.
It's not weird at all. It's comparing a Mercedes S Class to a VW bug. Cheap malbec to fine grand cru Bordeaux. Life is all about being able to tell the difference. Being able to discriminate. It's what makes us human. My point is there are far far worse places than CABA. Some better, but a decreasing number. If you don't like it, leave. Life is very short. Why waste it in a country or city you don't like?

I am not saying that you are wrong with your - may I say hedonistic? - views.

But I think it is - as I mentioned in another thread - a question of where you are in life, your perspectives. If you are relatively young, have small kids then naturally you are very interested that the country you live in has some kind of future. I am getting very annoyed about the things happening here in politics just because I believe they prevent the country from becoming kind of a normal country where people have a future, especially the younger generation. So what is going on here in politics and society will most likely drive me out of the country in the mid or long term because you obviously want the best for your kids (although there are a ton of things I really love here). If I had no kids and no stakes here in Argentina, I would see things here very differently (and probably very much like you).

The other thing that surprises me sometimes are the comparisons with the likes of Congo, Haiti etc. Of course you will always find some countries that are worse off. So what is the point? Should I be grateful for that? Apart from Venezuela the decline of this country over the last decades (or century) is probably unique. So why it should not compare itself with some average European country at least?
Life is short. If Argentina is not the right place for your children, and they are what matter most to you, make a change. You owe it to them. It's always easy to find excuses for inaction.

It is natural and healthy to have complaints and ideas for change anywhere in the world, including at home. Nowhere is perfect.

If no one ever complains however, nothing can improve. That is why if enough people in a society accept ills like corruption, ignorance, crime or poverty then ills like corruption, ignorance, crime or poverty becomes more common place and harder to fix. That self-improving attitude is the fundamental social difference between "top rated" countries and many on an upward trajectory versus "mid-low rated" countries and many on a downward trajectory.

The frustrating part of Argentina is that on the surface it does indeed have the "skeleton" in place to actually be more similar to a "top rated" country, while beneath the service it has the DNA to be a "low rated" country. This means when individuals, governments or segments of society shrug off of any critique as a "yeah but.." while refusing to make a compromise to actually change or fix something, no matter how small, it just perpetuates the downhill trajectory this country has been on for the better part of a century.
It's like watching an alcoholic say they just need "one more" drink to feel better again - each sip is just another step in a winding road of problems leading towards poverty, despair and ruin.

Personally I sum up Argentina as love/ hate affair with a lot of passion involved. Fortunately if hate ever wins, then I get choices and options unlike those who must take whatever they are dealt in life. In the meantime if I can help people here to change something to better their lot in addition to my own, great. If not, too bad. Maybe that is why I can feel happy and calm in my own life here or anywhere in the world.

Here everyone! Back to the paradise that is the United States of America. Add getting worse each day. You have no idea what's coming.

Life is short. If Argentina is not the right place for your children, and they are what matter most to you, make a change. You owe it to them. It's always easy to find excuses for inaction.
I am not trying to find excuses for staying here. Bottom line is that currently the benefits of staying here outweigh the costs (has to do with my work situation, age of kids, among other factors). But if things stay this way (or get worse), it will be beneficial for us to leave in a couple of years time. And then we will do it.

NB: I generally like your unorthodox views on a lot of things. But just to say "leave if you don't like it" is a bit too simple.

I too don’t see any future for my daughter here despite the numerous advantages in life I’ll be able to afford her. Sadly think it will be a couple more years here and then a move back home.

You should be happy with problems in Argentina becuase they are not as bad as the problems in Congo.
Indeed, I am very happy and grateful living in Argentina. I am not sure, if I have encountered absolutely any problem living here almost 14 years.

I fail to understand , what problems ( in Argentina) are being discussed here.

Back