What food do you miss the most?

What food do you miss the most?

• N.American: Mash Potatoes, Mac & Cheese, Sloppy Joes, Turkey Sandwiches, Green Bean Casseroles etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real Big Salads: Caesar, Chicken, Mexican, Veggie etc

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Pizza & Beer: Deep dish & thin with various topping, spicy sauce & Beer

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tai Food: Spicy Pat Tai, Tai soup, Paneng, lettuce wraps, green chicken curry.etc.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • N.Mexican: Burritos, Tostadas, Tacos, Nachos, Soup etc.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
Missing salads is reason to move for me, I just don't dare eat raw unpeeled stuff here anymore. Caesar is my big favourite....

Indian curry, Hydes bitter beer, English mustard, donner kebab. PG tips English tea, a bacon butty with back bacon and English Warburton's bread. Baked beans and proper sausages. Proper chicken stuffing. The thwack of the cricket ball as it hits the cricket ball and giving a cheery wave to the vicar acting as best he can as umpire and making the local librarian blush with a thinly veiled double entendre.

Ha, citymike, you just reminded me of the time I saw a flasher in Kensington central library! How very English it seems now...

I miss all spiced up food, I don't know about you but everything is so plain here, even the meat is just meat, no peper, no basil no parsley... when eating outside of course, which is the only thing I have been doing so far...

I miss going to Jackson Heights (a neighborhood in Queens, New York) and all of those informal indian restaurants, that serve tandoori, curry, samosas, big piles of basmati rice, fresh baked naan, and all those funky indian desserts made from yogurt and almond paste. I will be there in October and will be eating big time!!

The foods I miss most have got to be maple syrup, squeaky cheese curds, extra sharp cheddar, BBQ baby back ribs, brats, sauerkraut, cranberries, gyros, clam chowder, rye bread, canned black olives, strawberry rhubarb pie and a big glass of Blue Moon beer with an orange slice to wash it all down. Not the healthiest choices but they're all soooo good to have every once in a great while.

I tell you what I miss.....

I miss, the Empanadas (not the those horrible meat pies in which you need to put heaps of tomato sauce on the top in order to be able to eat them), Dulce de Leche, Facturas and all type of baked goodies found in the bakery, good taste and tender Beef (a very difficult goal this one) one you can eat without the need to put something on top to mask they tasteless or weird flavor, be this a barbecue sauce topping or HP or Tomato Sauce or Tabasco or Hot Chili or whatever, etc, etc., Chorizos (real ones not the full greasy soap made here), Asado cut as it should be (not much now because butchers are adopting that cut nowadays, Thanks God!), Real Chimichurri, Mollejas (the real sweet bread), Alfajores (an impossible dream), The Bread (hot just baked and coming out from from a real bakery oven), The Pizzas (all of them), Churros yummy (nowhere to be seen), Choripan with Chimichurri available anywhere on demand when you feel like it, Spanish Saffron real one with flavor and aroma to make a good and aromatic Risotto (never ever a possibility here to get one), not the rubbish sticky indelible made in here, what the hell is that?, real Unsalted Butter (in all the damn thing they can't go without putting heaps of salt in them), Empanadas discs and Pizza Dough ready to oven, real with 'full of flavor' Cooked Ham and Procciutto, Salamis all varieties not the plastic flavored, greasy tasteless made over here (a disgrace), Matambre, (this is another impossible dream), just good made on the day Fresh Pasta, Raviolis, Noquis (Gnoquis de Semola a la Romana) or from real potato as it should be made, Fettuccine or Spaghetti's, Lasagnas all fresh made on demand anywhere were you go there is one nearby, Salt (fine salt Celusal or something similar, not the chunky coarse thing they are packaging here), real Mayonnaise with eggs and lemon, not the sweet sugary tasteless they eat (horrible), and Espresso or Cortado (well to be fair lately they changed the bloody tea and the umbrella juice they used to serve as a coffee, I must admit), to be able to sit in any cafe bar or take away shop and order a cafe con leche and 3 medialunas, nope, no way, maybe a cappuccino and a piece of cake is your best bet, Dulce de Batata with Chocolate, Dulce de Membrillo, Cheese Mantecoso or Double Cream (this is another impossible dream) all the varieties of cheeses are dearly missed, gaseosas (sodas in siphon), Pomelo soda (grapefruit flavor) with and without gas, the Wines and to be able to buy any alcohol based drink anywhere at anytime.....and I can go on, and on, and on...
So believe me you are not alone on this guys/gals it's both ways, we always will be missing something with the switching...the difference is we do not complaint so often and every day as you do, we accept it the way it is (with all the pain it represents) and that is it, in simple words....Get Over It!...like everyone else or time to move on.

mcaffa said:
The foods I miss most have got to be maple syrup, squeaky cheese curds, extra sharp cheddar, BBQ baby back ribs, brats, sauerkraut, cranberries, gyros, clam chowder, rye bread, canned black olives, strawberry rhubarb pie and a big glass of Blue Moon beer with an orange slice to wash it all down. Not the healthiest choices but they're all soooo good to have every once in a great while.
mmm!
and one thing above all stands out in this list to me that I miss like crazy: Rhubarb!! Oh the things I'd do for some damn rhubarb. :p

Cheese, real cheese, extra sharp cheddar....all those cows and so little good cheese.

Is there a market beyond expats for cheese? Why are so few making it? I've seen a few good cheeses being made in Mendoza, but that's about it. There are lots of Argentines who travel and have global food standards, why is no one making real cheese?

Back