What food do you miss the most?

What food do you miss the most?

• N.American: Mash Potatoes, Mac & Cheese, Sloppy Joes, Turkey Sandwiches, Green Bean Casseroles etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real Big Salads: Caesar, Chicken, Mexican, Veggie etc

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Pizza & Beer: Deep dish & thin with various topping, spicy sauce & Beer

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Tai Food: Spicy Pat Tai, Tai soup, Paneng, lettuce wraps, green chicken curry.etc.

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • N.Mexican: Burritos, Tostadas, Tacos, Nachos, Soup etc.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • Other?

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
John.St said:
The small fruit and vegetable stall 2 blocks away had rhubarbs about 7 moths ago, in the rhubarb season.

No need to be snarky! If you've seen it, you've been lucky! I've never seen rhubarb here at any time of year. I have asked time and time again at various verdulerias (including mercado del progresso) and they either shake their heads sadly or have never heard of it. I have seen something that looks somewhat like rhubarb, but when asking find that it's a different root (I forget which one, just know it wasn't my beloved). I once asked Dan who runs Casa Salt Shaker who had mentioned it once on his blog if he had any tips for finding it, and he said the following:

A very small amount of rhubarb makes it into the consumer market when in season (late spring I think, probably end of November-ish) - and I do mean a very small amount - I think I've probably, over the last four years, seen a total of about 2 kilos, and that might be a generous estimate. Most of what makes it up from Patagonia goes straight to restaurants that have already contracted for it.

why do people read the threads if they don't want to see people complaining. No one is forcing you to read it.

kale, variety of squashes, yukon potatoes, cranberries, weird, bitter funny shape apples, masala dosa, asofeitida powder for masala,hard cinnamon bark from India, masala tea mix, all Southern Indian food (Mysore, Bangalore), green coconuts, cacao beans, variety of fruits, MSM, enzymes pills, GABA ( a mix of aminio acids to uplift your mood, and it works), Wild Cherry Bark the tea, and organic not out of date tinctures, Oregano oil for when you get parasites, MMS, Food Grain Peroxide, and other weird esoteric medicines for getting rid of parasites.

citymike said:
And you reminded me that I don't see many legs of lamb here ;)

Mike you are in luck as the spring lamb here is fantastic and cheap. If you start looking in Jumbo in September (Palermo, Almagro and Caballito as I have bought from) you will find legs of lamb to feed 6 for about 60 pesos, sometimes they have a lamb section betwen the pork and beef or sometimes it's in a special (non freezer) vertical cabinet. Honestly the best lamb I have bought is from the butcher on La plata and Rivadavia who will deliver to roder and cheaper than Jumbo. Lambb on the parilla is pure Argentinean heaven!

John.St said:
The small fruit and vegetable stall 2 blocks away had rhubarbs about 7 moths ago, in the rhubarb season.

I am a seasonal buyer JSt so back in your box:p...lucky you for having rhubarb so close...Caballito is clearly a culinary desert!

MizzMarr said:
No need to be snarky! If you've seen it, you've been lucky! I've never seen rhubarb here at any time of year. I have asked time and time again at various verdulerias (including mercado del progresso) and they either shake their heads sadly or have never heard of it. I have seen something that looks somewhat like rhubarb, but when asking it's a different root (I forget which one, just know it wasn't my beloved). I once asked Dan who runs Casa Salt Shaker who had mentioned it once on his blog if he had any tips for finding it, and he said the following:

A very small amount of rhubarb makes it into the consumer market when in season (late spring I think, probably end of November-ish) - and I do mean a very small amount - I think I've probably, over the last four years, seen a total of about 2 kilos, and that might be a generous estimate. Most of what makes it up from Patagonia goes straight to restaurants that have already contracted for it.

If you find rhubarb, please tell me where. I love rhubarb, is it possible to grow rhubarb here?

Oregano oil for when you get parasites

Now that's a mood dampener:(

Good cheese. Really good cheese. (That of course is not specific to country, I used to buy cheese in NY from all over the world).
Spicy food - Mexican, Thai, Indian, whatever. Just spicy.
Real dim sum.
Pizza from Patsys with an ice-cold beer.
Oysters. So miss oysters, pommes frites and a glass of Muscadet. Mmmm....

mhenna11 said:
If you find rhubarb, please tell me where. I love rhubarb, is it possible to grow rhubarb here?

Will do (and would like others to do the same) but honestly I've given up hope of ever having it here. I'm not in a position to grow it (as I understand if you're growing from seeds or even crowns it takes at least couple of years to get to harvest, and I never knew enough about my future prospects here to invest that much time into growing a plant) plus growing from seed isn't recommended (and how would anybody get the crowns?) PLUS it doesn't do well in hot weather, it seems like it'd be doomed to failure.

That said if you still want to try it, here's a good resource I found online: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/growing
Good luck!

fred mertz said:
Tomato juice, N.Y. Macintosh apples and COTTAGE CHEESE
Yes Cottage Cheese and lets not forget sour cream and buttermilk and I know you can make a substitute but we all know its not even close.. and all the great things you can make with it.. Crumpets.. I also miss dry Italian salad dressing mixes they are so handy for cooking other dishes. I second also the Leg of Lamb..Bacon as well good for baked beans. Lots of spices hard to find for making Quebec Tourtiere...Sweet pickles for potato salad can only find the sour ones.. Sweet potatoes..Fresh dill and feta cheese for making some of my Greek dishes learned while living in Greece.. Regular milk not the sac kind do not like the taste:(

Back