What is the food you miss most from "home?"

I'm still trying to figure out the no good cheese in the US:confused: Have you been to Murray's Cheese in NY?

Good cheese is probably top on my list.
Dim Sum.
Spicy everything although I'm learning to make my own spicy food with carefully hoarded supplies and what I can find in barrio chino.
NY style pizza
Sour Cream
Shamefully - Velveeta - what can I say, it makes a fabulous base for cheese dip, a great grilled cheese sandwich or mac and cheese. Gross but good.

But more than anything, I miss the convenience of popping in to Whole Foods or Wegmans or one of the amazing stores and having everything fresh and available. I have learned to adapt, learned to make do or make my own but sometimes, I just want to buy something without having to do it all from scratch or plan a special trip into town to go to barrio chino or stop at 28273 different places to check prices and buy bread at one place, spices at another, barrio chino for the different spices, a verduleria for the veggies, the granja for the chicken/meat, makro for soda, a wine store for wine, etc, etc, etc.

citygirl said:
But more than anything, I miss the convenience of popping in to Whole Foods or Wegmans or one of the amazing stores and having everything fresh and available. I have learned to adapt, learned to make do or make my own but sometimes, I just want to buy something without having to do it all from scratch or plan a special trip into town to go to barrio chino or stop at 28273 different places to check prices and buy bread at one place, spices at another, barrio chino for the different spices, a verduleria for the veggies, the granja for the chicken/meat, makro for soda, a wine store for wine, etc, etc, etc.

YES! Especially the barrio chino part. It's nice to be able to run across the street to pick up some chicken without having to wait in line at the supermarket, so that is convenient. But to have to make a special trip to another neighborhood for spices and other hard to get things is annoying.

the entire chip and junk food aisle in any super market

Pickles (dill, not sweet)

Canadian Bacon

spicy foods

and Motts extra spicy clamato juice...

Vegemite, good selection of cereals, spicy foods, lots of cheap and good quality viet / chinese restaurants, good quality pies - steak / cheese, curry etc - although not that much, empanadas suffice well. Bacon, hash browns.

Things I love but and would miss is being able to access everything food wise within 2 blocks, supermarket, bakery, meat butchers, chicken butchers, fruit n veg, fiambreria etc.

citygirl said:
Sour Cream

There's tons of sour cream here Citygirl. If you check the dairy fridge at whichever market you go to you'll see a product called 'Casancrem - Classico' (Currently with 60% more!). Grab some spring onion and you've got yourself a perfect dip!

Decent chilli powder and cheddar are on my wishlist. Everything else can be made here easily enough.

This is what I miss the most

bfast.jpg

Gringoboy said:
This is what I miss the most

bfast.jpg

jajajaja i think i my arteries just finally clogged up and I just had a heart attack.

thank you. that was the way I wanted to go...
:)

Markgeezer said:
You guys are unbelievable.... first there is NO seriously good cheese in the USA at all, you have to go to England or France for that,

add Spain, Italy, Netherlands etc to UK/Ireland and France to your list of good cheese countries

But why get imported stuff ....

My advice go and enjoy a weekend in Tandil and the almacen tradicional Epoca de Quesos?

Dam fine cheese. Famous around Argentina.

scottlyon said:
There's tons of sour cream here Citygirl. If you check the dairy fridge at whichever market you go to you'll see a product called 'Casancrem - Classico' (Currently with 60% more!). Grab some spring onion and you've got yourself a perfect dip!

Decent chilli powder and cheddar are on my wishlist. Everything else can be made here easily enough.

Casancrem is the equivalent of creme fraiche ..it's not sour sorry! If you dont wince when you eat sour cream it isnt sour cream!

Yep, casancrem doesn't taste like sour cream to me. (I use it frequently though). I have made my own sour cream but it doesn't taste quite authentic either.

Speaking of chili powder, my stash is about to run out. Anyone have any luck finding it in barrio chino? If not, I'll have to wait until my next US trip.

I've seen some cheddar (albeit outrageously expensive) at Valenti but no first hand experience. And it was regular cheddar, not extra sharp.

Back