What is the food you miss most from "home?"

Ana Luisa said:
Well, I might just have to drop by para cenar sometime soon. ;) Where does she find quality beans here btw?

I'm used to paying 15 reais on sushi (about 35 pesos)! Unless I plan on going to Santa Fe with some tupperware and a large purse (kidding), it still sounds expensive to have sushi regularly! Though I do appreciate the help. :)

I think she gets them in a regular supermarket like Coto or Disco. She buys them in large bags. If you need special beans you might try Chinatown.

Buenos Aires is known for the steak. It's not known for the seafood. Frankly, the fish in the market doesn't look that appetizing to me. I don't think I have even one Porteño friend here who likes fish. Seriousy! When I lived in Mendoza I would ride my motorcycle once a month to Valparaiso, Chile to get seafood.

GS_Dirtboy said:
I think she gets them in a regular supermarket like Coto or Disco. She buys them in large bags. If you need special beans you might try Chinatown.

Buenos Aires is known for the steak. It's not known for the seafood. Frankly, the fish in the market doesn't look that appetizing to me. I don't think I have even one Porteño friend here who likes fish. Seriousy! When I lived in Mendoza I would ride my motorcycle once a month to Valparaiso, Chile to get seafood.

Yeah... :(

The universal concept of eating your fruits and vegetables, fish for omega 3 and 9, whole grains, avoid sugar and fat and all of that every 2-3 hours is laughable to most portenos.

They just looove the artery clogging assados, diabetic predisposing facturas, lots of kiosko crap and cigarrettes.

If there's not that many people looking for fish, it'll be expensive. Too bad, cause we're right by the sea!

Ana Luisa said:
Yeah... :(

The universal concept of eating your fruits and vegetables, fish for omega 3 and 9, whole grains, avoid sugar and fat and all of that every 2-3 hours is laughable to most portenos.

They just looove the artery clogging assados, diabetic predisposing facturas, lots of kiosko crap and cigarrettes.

If there's not that many people looking for fish, it'll be expensive. Too bad, cause we're right by the sea!

Yeah where can one find Chilean Sea Bass either fresh or in a restaurant.:confused:

As per suggestesd by a colleague here went to Coto looking for fish. Wanted to find some Chilean Sea Bass, Icelandic Cod, or Halibut steaks, swordfish :D

The closest was a frozen fish called Paty ? What fish is this...? Chilean Smoked Salmon 175 pesos per 500 grs.? worth buying ! :wub: $US 25

As per suggestesd by a colleague here went to Coto looking for fish. Wanted to find some Chilean Sea Bass, Icelandic Cod, or Halibut steaks, swordfish :D

The closest was a frozen fish called Paty ? What fish is this...? Chilean Smoked Salmon 175 pesos per 500 grs.? worth buying ! :wub: $US 25
Go to OstraMar on Scalabrini Ortiz and Santa Fe and you will find fabulous fresh fish there.
Nancy

I was just at the coto I suggested. They had chilean seabass (merluza negra), salted Norwegian cod (bacalo noruego), and swordfish at the least. Not to mention lump crabmeat which was a new addition!

Yeah where can one find Chilean Sea Bass either fresh or in a restaurant. :confused:

There is an excellent seafood parillada (para 2) at le mistral in retiro that includes a spectacular slab of sea bass as well as other delicacies such as crabs, prawns, grilled octopus..mmmmm muy rico! The other stand out sea bass that I had was at Jose Luis on quintana near callao, the fish was very very good but everything else (appetizers, sides,etc.) was rather mediocre.

Back