What is the food you miss most from "home?"

I've bought cheddar at Jumbo and other places but it falls far from the mark of British cheddar and so I've resigned myself to the many other types of cheese which is easy to get here.

As for sour cream, I guess I've never eaten what you guys have. I'd use crème fraîche in the UK often and it's nothing like the casancrem I use here. I'm always up for new culinary experiences - any brands you'd recommend (For my next trip to NA).

I used to get a mild, not bad (but certainly not great) tasting cheddar from a local fiambreria. It was actually a little crumbly, not quite rubbery. But of course, it was quite mild and no sharp of any sort to be found.

The place closed last week. :(

I don't really miss any kind of food "home", except 'grosellas rojas' (redcurrant).

What can't be bought here, I make myself. It has taken some experiments, but now I can make all the specialties from my home country.

pSjm4m.jpg

Look at these amazing things Barrs are making in the Scotland!

Also check out the price $2.88 on the official rate, i wonder how much cans of coke etc are here?

They certainly couldn't print the price on the can as it would change every month!

Brazilian fruits in general
Rice and beans
Fish
Coconut juice
Sushi at a reasonable price
And the list goes on...

Ana Luisa said:
Brazilian fruits in general
Rice and beans
Fish
Coconut juice
Sushi at a reasonable price
And the list goes on...

My wife is from Pernambuco. I get rice and beans EVERY night. Just kidding. But her feijoada is killer! It is the reason I married her. Well, perhaps there are a couple of other reasons, as well.

I did find decent sushi on Av Santa Fe 1/2 block from the Aguëro stop on the D line. I forget what the place is called, but it's all you can eat sushi for $100AR.

Being a Leicester boy I miss.

Melton Mowbray Pork Pie (with colemans mustard)
Stilton Cheese and Mature Cheddar.

And a nice Ruby Murry !

GS_Dirtboy said:
My wife is from Pernambuco. I get rice and beans EVERY night. Just kidding. But her feijoada is killer! It is the reason I married her. Well, perhaps there are a couple of other reasons, as well.

I did find decent sushi on Av Santa Fe 1/2 block from the Aguëro stop on the D line. I forget what the place is called, but it's all you can eat sushi for $100AR.

Well, I might just have to drop by para cenar sometime soon. ;) Where does she find quality beans here btw?

I'm used to paying 15 reais on sushi (about 35 pesos)! Unless I plan on going to Santa Fe with some tupperware and a large purse (kidding), it still sounds expensive to have sushi regularly! Though I do appreciate the help. :)

I've been in the States for about a month and I would say that the only thing that I miss in the Food & Bev department from Argentina is the store bought Sifon de Soda. I love those things. But as for anything else consumable, I can't say that I miss a thing.

Back