What is the food you miss most from "home?"

I had a serious yearning for home today. Thought I'd indulge and tonight I made fried chicken, green beans (couldn't find black-eyed peas), mashed potatoes, corn bread, and sweet tea. I made an apple pie for desert. Tomorrow's breakfast will be scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, buttermilk biscuits and gravy.

What foods do you miss?
Dear Sir
I must inform you that not only hate you for liking the same kind of food i love,i also hate you for knowing how to cook it!
Best Regards
Hungry Mc Kenna

Huevos Rancheros! I'm going through withdrawal! I want beans and tortillas and rice, and and and...

Denny's Coffee Shops 24 Hour breakfast menu:

All-American Slam three scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, two bacon strips and two sausage links, plus hash browns and bread(sourdough toast golden)

However checked today's price $9.50...?? say $57 Arg ...!

An Update the Denny's breakfast about "$110 Arg pesos at todays Blue rate.... wow....! Paso

Dear Sir
I must inform you that not only hate you for liking the same kind of food i love,i also hate you for knowing how to cook it!
Best Regards
Hungry Mc Kenna

Argentina has made me into a near-chef. I knew how to cook - more or less before I got here, but just some basics. Over the last 7 and a half years, with few trips back home to get a taste, I found I had to figure out how to make some of the favorite foods I missed so much. Searching on the internet, finding recipes for things I wanted to try, getting a feel for what does what and how to make sauces and such, a lot of experimentation. I've always grilled and smoked great meat, and I've had to relearn on a parilla. I make gumbo, chili, enchiladas, fajitas and variations of my own on the Mexican theme, meatloaf, fried chicken and chicken tenders (the latter with a beautiful pepper cream gravy), lomo a la pimienta, stuffed hamburger steaks, kung pao chicken, General Tso's chicken, just to mention a few :)

Not to rub it in, but I didn't know how to cook any of that until forced to learn by what I considered to be a lack of a variety of food here.

Argentina has made me into a near-chef. I knew how to cook - more or less before I got here, but just some basics. Over the last 7 and a half years, with few trips back home to get a taste, I found I had to figure out how to make some of the favorite foods I missed so much. Searching on the internet, finding recipes for things I wanted to try, getting a feel for what does what and how to make sauces and such, a lot of experimentation. I've always grilled and smoked great meat, and I've had to relearn on a parilla. I make gumbo, chili, enchiladas, fajitas and variations of my own on the Mexican theme, meatloaf, fried chicken and chicken tenders (the latter with a beautiful pepper cream gravy), lomo a la pimienta, stuffed hamburger steaks, kung pao chicken, General Tso's chicken, just to mention a few :)

Not to rub it in, but I didn't know how to cook any of that until forced to learn by what I considered to be a lack of a variety of food here.

God Bless Google. The mother of the new wave of Expat "closed door"chefs! I even managed an attempt at Peking Duck. But don't ask....

I miss being about to go to the corner store or a local bar and take my pick from dozens of really fantastic craft beers. A West Coast IPA is what I most would like to have right now. After that I'd probably go to a taco truck, order 3 al pastor, and cover them with spicy pickles and hot sauce.

I also really miss all the ethnic soups from my very diverse city: Sopa Azteca, Pho, Tom Ka Gai...

Finally, bourbon.

Descent crisps ,biscuits and chocolate bars. Have to say the UK we have the best confectionary around, and i`ve tried a few on my journeys i can tell you.

Also, variety in sausages. Actually I miss variety on all foods in the supermarket. oh an decent Pizza, dont think i`ve ever had a proper italian style pizza in Argentina. Its all cheese and greasy base.

I make my own indian/thai curries from whats available here, so get my quota of spicey food. And although I hate to say it, I miss supermarket ready meals. Just for the convience of chucking one in the microwave or oven as very occasionally you just want a quick meal without having to prepare everything.

Back