Why Does Everyone Here Seem To Hate Buenos Aires So Much?

Buenos Aires is Numero UNO in South America for singles with a comfortable income in Dollars. Forget Lima, Asuncion, Quito, Panama?, Caracas, Santiago. Rio is the only other exciting alternative :wub:

Why do you say that about BA? I am married, so I have no opinion either way. But I am curious on why you say that.

Why do you say that about BA? I am married, so I have no opinion either way. But I am curious on why you say that.

Because to raise a family perhaps other places are better, perhaps Rosario?? Who Knows? I'm single. No need to point out the superior cosmopolitan ambiance of BA compared to Asuncion, Quito or La Paz!!!!! is a no brainer.
:wub: Oh and also beef on the hook and on the hoof....!!my preferences are found mostly in BA.

beef.jpg

BA is a amazing place for 'directionless' singles like me with a dollar income.

I can appreciate the sentiment that if "you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all"... but this is an expat board and although many of us come from different countries and backgrounds, there is a sort of understanding when it comes to comparing Buenos Aires (and by extension Argentina in general) to wherever it is we come from. Adjustment to a new country is a struggle. I'm sure my own mother would have sounded off about "crazy Americans" on a message board when she first came over to the US - if such a thing existed at the time. So some negativity is to be expected especially as the honey moon phase comes to an end.

And we complain about a lot of the same things Argentinos complain about. :p Prices, rudeness, corruption, the economy (especially the dollar situation), etc etc. The rest is just cultural differences, things we miss from home, and some of inconveniences of living here. I for one am comforted by the fact that others share the same struggles and views I do. And even if I might not agree with some viewpoints, I can usually see where they're coming from.

Yup...BA has the best ice cream and pizza (and some other foods) I ever ate. I like tango even though it really is a downer.

BA is one of the dirtiest, most graffitied-marred (and I mean not just funky barrios but buildings that are beautiful architectural treasures), trash and dog shit-strewn cities I've ever visited in the western world.

I've been made physically ill from time to time breathing the inescapable malos aires. The public bathrooms (bars, restaurants, etc.) often stink as bad as those Bolivia or Paraguay. You know, the chinos. I think it's because there's too much meat in the diet (urea) and too low standards of cleanliness.

The customer service is lousy, the drivers are reckless, selfish and dangerous on city streets as well as the autopistas.

Pedestrians often act as though they own the sidewalk. I've heard other expats here refer to the phenomenon as a game of "sidewalk chicken".

Generally, I found Argentines loud, ignorant, opinionated, argumentative, arrogant and insecure as well as inconsiderate, manipulative, and deceptive. Oh, and don't forget, easily offended, politically unsophisticated and delusional about their country's importance in the world and the interest of the rest of the world in it's issues.

I've got to mention the government. I've never seen anything to compare. Those K people actually think the Cuban revolution worked out well. Thats why Venezuela support them. And Cristina and her yes people appear to think the Venezuelan populist dictatorship model is a good idea for Argentina. How are those policies working out for you Argentina? Did I mention I think Argentines are delusional?

On and off over 4 years I spent a total of a year living with and being integrated into an Argentine family, had an intimate Argentine partner and was generally immersed in Argentine life and travelled all over the country.

I have degrees in sociology and law, am over 50, from the US, and am widely read and experienced and am a unflinching observer of human nature and behavior. Please don't conclude I give the U.S. or anybody else a pass. We've all got our strengths and weaknesses. Better for everyone if we all own up.

I'm long gone and not coming back.

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"The customer service is lousy"[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Really, seems pretty good to me normally and when not I make a fuss like I would anywhere in the world and it gets sorted. In bars and restaurants this is a[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] one in a hundred event, not bad stats though I did have a bad experience at a dreadful expat bar called Bangalore on Saturday (see my blog for the story). But seriously, mobile phones, insurance, utilities, car repairs (on insurance after accident), workman, suppliers (I'm doing a fairly large building project) all seem just as efficient as the UK. Doing all the tramites always surprises me as I expect them to be a really time consuming pain in the arse (mainly from reading this blog) and then they don't turn out to be.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"Pedestrians often act as though they own the sidewalk. I've heard other expats here refer to the phenomenon as a game of "sidewalk chicken""[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Wow, I have never had a problem walking down a pavement. I find it really strange that anyone can have a problem with something this easy. If really busy I smile and let people pass or I smile and they let me pass. Maybe they are worried about offending the weird smiling expat?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"Generally, I found Argentines loud, ignorant, opinionated, argumentative, arrogant and insecure as well as inconsiderate, manipulative, and deceptive. Oh, and don't forget, easily offended, politically unsophisticated and delusional about their country's importance in the world and the interest of the rest of the world in it's issues."[/background]
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]How strange, I find them very nice, always up for a chat[/background][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] (actually a chat is obligatory before doing any kind of business with someone here), they love a good argument, love to have a wide range of opinions (difficult to have a conversation with someone that doesn't), are much quieter than most people from the US and indeed Brazil when out in groups, are actually pretty difficult to offend, share quite a British "taking the mickey" sense of humour, and are damn quick to go out of their way to render assistance when needed.[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]I have a lovely friend here who does intercultural training to help people understand and integrate into Argentine culture (she is German). I have always mocked her as I didn't understand the point. But reading all these stories of bad service, rudeness and general inability to live life smoothly and without stress I think I should promote her services to you guys.[/background]

Maybe its the way you behave (albeit habitually and unconsciously and without bad intention) that leads to all these hassles?

And we complain about a lot of the same things Argentinos complain about. :p Prices, rudeness, corruption, the economy (especially the dollar situation), etc etc. The rest is just cultural differences, things we miss from home, and some of inconveniences of living here. I for one am comforted by the fact that others share the same struggles and views I do. And even if I might not agree with some viewpoints, I can usually see where they're coming from.

I quote this post to answer everyone. What you say its true, this country is really f_cked up in many ways its unbelievable :p . And i agree about criticizing, its just that it seems this forum crossed the fine line between criticism and just plain hate.
One example is rudeness (i would never qualify porteños as rude, even if they are ruder than many people from other smaller cities all over argentina) and ice cream. I mean, we can discuss pizza, and we all can agree how little variety of food there is here. But is ice cream really open to discussion?? Isnt it out of this world delicious? I ve tried many ice creams from all over the world and the only one that comes close it italian, but its not there yet. When i read in some thread ice cream here was crap i thought: "ok, the line has been crossed".

Also, thanks everyone for being so nice with your responses :D

Oh, to clarify, when i say "everyone" i left out camberiu :mellow:

where are you from, camberiu??
You seem to REALLY REALLY hate everything about this country and make a point to criticize everything about it in every one of your posts. You know all the argentinian jokes and spread your hate all around. You must really hate everyone of us SO MUCH, that i dont know what you are doing here. It must suck to being surrounded by a culture you hate SO MUCH.

It must be awful being so full of hate :( .

Besides this person, that is obviously an extreme case, everyone has answered in a great manner, so thanks.

Too bad that some people have so much hate inside.

But is ice cream really open to discussion?? Isnt it out of this world delicious? I ve tried many ice creams from all over the world and the only one that comes close it italian, but its not there yet. When i read in some thread ice cream here was crap i thought: "ok, the line has been crossed".

Scotland has good ice cream too, made by Italian immigrants :D

Nardini's is probably the most famous.

You can even get Buckfast ice cream!

Strangely one thing that Argentines have not yet discovered, that combines two of their favourites, is Coke Floats!

yWLRrV1.jpg

Back