Another one jumping ship

TERKILD said:
Exactly my point in my reply to "jumping the ship"
If its 20% under the price that the owner wants, it does not say anything!
There is a lot property for sale in that area for 2400-3000 USD/m2!
2400 USD/m2 would mean 20% under what the owner "thinks" its worth!

Bingo. That is what my point was. I've never particularly liked Palermo Hollywood. I much prefer the other side of the "tracks".

I think anyone paying $4,000 a sq. meter in Hollywood is a fool. So I guess the "20% discount" is all relative....

It seems that Early retirement does not understand market prices in Buenos Aires or that exclusive buildings fetch higher prices. By the way what makes Puerto Madero so special that it commands US $ 4,000 per metre ? There are two huge slums within walking distance from Puerto Madero but in comparison Palermo is surrounded by the best parks of the city and there are no slums

Raymond said:
It seems that Early retirement does not understand market prices in Buenos Aires or that exclusive buildings fetch higher prices. By the way what makes Puerto Madero so special that it commands US $ 4,000 per metre ? There are two huge slums within walking distance from Puerto Madero but in comparison Palermo is surrounded by the best parks of the city and there are no slums

Having lived for two years in Puerto Madero, I can tell you that it commands the prices it does because it has a level of cleanliness and order that no other area of Buenos Aires has. You're buying a little piece of Miami here in Buenos Aires. That's why it costs more.

Raymond said:

LOL. I understand the market there and also understand the areas well. I never said that I would pay $4,000 m2 in Puerto Madero either. But there is a good reason why they can get it there vs. Hollywood. Don't even bother trying to compare the two. And really even in Puerto Madero prices are coming down now with this situation with getting dollars. My friend just sold his flat in Puerto Madero in a true exclusive building and he also had 2 garage spaces and he barely broke $3,900 m2. That's after backing out the value for the 2 garage spaces.

Good luck to any of those owners trying to get $4,000 a sq. meter in Hollywood. Hopefully those owners don't hold their breath holding out for the $4,000 m2 that you seem to claim they are worth in Hollywood. I will stand by my opinion that most of that new stuff going up in Hollywood is absolute rubbish.

At least in Puerto Madero the quality for the most part is much much better than that junk going up in Hollywood. Better quality, better materials, better craftsmanship. Many buildings in Hollywood already have serious problems only a few years after being built. Almost all of my friends that bought in Hollywood totally regret it. Either they bought in a building which now has their once great view obstructed by all those high rises, their buildings are constantly getting spray painted or their neighbors, constant noise and debris from construction going on in the area, or they have had severe problems including major leaks from balcony, major leaks from ceiling, pipes broken or serious humidity issues.

el_expatriado said:
If he wants to sell in USD for $2000 per meter, paid directly to his account in the USA or Europe or wherever else he lives, have him contact me. $2000 per meter would be a 20% discount over market values in that area.

Bingo! Exactly!

Looks like 55 square metres from a look at the floor plan and not 70 or am I missing something?

I think Puerto Madero commands the high prices because it is patrolled/policed by the Prefectura Naval.

surfing said:
I think Puerto Madero commands the high prices because it is patrolled/policed by the Prefectura Naval.

That's one of the reasons. Not so much because of who polices it, but because it is secure by its very geography. Look at Puerto Madero on a map. There are 5 bridges for cars to enter and 5 points where pedestrians can enter, all of which can be shut down by prefectura in the event of a crime. They can literally trap the criminals inside and hunt them down.

If I was a criminal I wouldn't want to steal there...

el_expatriado said:
That's one of the reasons. Not so much because of who polices it, but because it is secure by its very geography. Look at Puerto Madero on a map. There are 5 bridges for cars to enter and 5 points where pedestrians can enter, all of which can be shut down by prefectura in the event of a crime. They can literally trap the criminals inside and hunt them down.

OTOH --- my impression is that PM is full of beautiful, expensive, but ultimately unoccupied apartments. I've always felt it was like a ghost town --- a little creepy IMO.

el_expatriado said:

It is definitely because of who polices it. The Prefectura are much more active and involved than the PFA and whatever the Macri Brigade is called. Certainly, it's easier to patrol an island with only 5 entrances and exits, but the Prefectura is pretty aggressive. The frequently stop cars and pedestrians going in and out.

Back