Arriving In November: Hello And Advice Welcome!

What could make the beef not as good here? Maybe some of us are just connoisseurs because I hear they can't make pizza here and I think I live in Pizza Heaven here where I am. But isn't a cow a cow? Maybe Brahmas are better than milk cows? I don't know. Just asking. I do know that if you put beef in a feed lot, pour the feed to it and kill it on the gain it will have more marbled fat in the meat and since that's what they do in the U.S. I wonder if that's what y'all look for. But that's bad for your health. They also give them hormones to make it happen and antibiotics to keep them from getting sick and you get all that. Well . . . puzzling . . .

The beef that is raised WITHOUT the antibiotics and hormones is the beef that made Argentina famous. Sadly, market forces have driven the majority of these ranchers out of business and only a few remain.

The beef that is raised WITHOUT the antibiotics and hormones is the beef that made Argentina famous. Sadly, market forces have driven the majority of these ranchers out of business and only a few remain.
Also is or was the beef that couldn't be sold on the international circuit for lack of the aphthosa and other vaccines shots for about 50 years
Let's get real, one thing is grass fed and other is plain unsafe with no health check ups on the cattle
Today if you are a rancher and wanna stay in business you need a feed lot,being that you can only grass fed naturally 2 or maybe 3 heads per hectacre providing you have A1 type land ,more marginal fields feed less cattle per hectacre

Huh! So you're saying that they have to put them in a feed lot and feed them corn in order to compete? I heard they were raising the chickens that way a few years ago--saying don't eat the chicken if you have cancer in your family--but beef I had not heard about. Uruguay by law does not put their beef in feed lots. It has to be grass raised. Also they don't allow GM food except corn and soy which they claim does not make it into the Uruguay market but goes to China. . So says Monsanto anyway.

I believe Montsanto as much as i trust my bank saying they are there to help me lol
Ranchers around here had to go to feed lots type of operations or start farming soy beans due to the price of the land,i'm not saying they like it but if you want to produce beef in the Buenos Aires province and see some profit ,there;s no other way around it.
Within walking distance from me there are a couple of chicken farms like you describe and also an egg farm.
Sad to see but long gone are the days of the chickens peckin the ground like in the Ingalls family :(

Don't listen to people who tell you the meat here isn't good, because it is. Maybe every single cut isn't exceptional, but there are several that are very good (bife de lomo, ojo de bife, colita de cuadril). In my opinion, what make the meat so good here is that you are able to choose from 30 or so different cuts, whereas in the US you are much more limited. I personally love that I can try a new type of steak at every asado.

Don't listen to people who tell you the meat here isn't good, because it is.

Almost all the Argentine's with whom I spoke also have said the meat is not as good as it was 7-8 years ago and they chalk it up to the change in feeding practices. As to why you like it? Just different tastes, but if an Argentine tells me it's no longer any good, I'll believe 'em!

Almost all the Argentine's with whom I spoke also have said the meat is not as good as it was 7-8 years ago and they chalk it up to the change in feeding practices. As to why you like it? Just different tastes, but if an Argentine tells me it's no longer any good, I'll believe 'em!

Fair enough, I've only been here for 2 years so I can't compare how it is now to how it was then. However I'm sure that nobody here would say that the meat is bad. I believe it's more about knowing which cut to buy, and maybe making friend with your local carnicero ;)

However I'm sure that nobody here would say that the meat is bad.

You're probably right. Part of my experience with Argentines is that so matter of them are seem to be caught up in black/white, either/or thinking and can't see the gray area.

In other words, if the meat isn't good, then it must be bad; many seem to be able to understand that if something isn't perfect, then there are options other than the opposite end of the spectrum.

I'm confusing myself, I know what I'm trying to say, but at 4am am having a hard time having it make sense, so I'll just shut up.

Back