BAExpat Member Featured In the La Nación

I understand that it is now socially acceptable to bash Russians. If you ever dared to say the same things about Bolivians, Italians, Turks or people of any other nation, you would be labelled as a xenophobe for life.

Yes, there is presently a problem with birth tourism from Russia. Most probably, the immigration laws soon will be changed to address it. Likely towards imposing restrictions of how long you need to stay in the country to keep the residency.

Meanwhile, the influx of people from Russia is boosting the Armenian economy, for example. So "these people" are not necessarily bringing only bad things.

Bolivians and Paraguayans are great neighbors that contributed greatly to this country and still do, besides culturally being part of the region. The truth is not bashing a community, it is a big problem happening around the world that keeps happening because of people who keep justifying it, Hopefully it will soon end

Bolivians and Paraguayans are great neighbors that contributed greatly to this country and still do, besides culturally being part of the region.
Culturally, Argentina is a part of Europe, but not geographically, of course.

Culturally, Argentina is a part of Europe, but not geographically, of course.
Culturally Argentina's roots are from here, studies show that the European heritage has and will keep decreasing and will become a Latin hub. Regardless, being of European descent does not make a country less South American than what it is. It is unfortunate to have people entitled to justify the unjustifiable and impose on a nation. Argentines will learn alone the dynamics of what happens in and around the world,and will decide for themselves the future of what happens to their country.

Last edited:
The bottom line is that our National Constitution embraces immigration, and so do immigration laws, so when something is not illegal, it is then legal. It is a violation of rights to holding these women at the airport. If they are not intending to immigrate and settle and they just want a passport, how is that different from people from neighboring countries that get residency or deliver their children here to get plans and subsidies, Asian immigrants ( especially Chinese ) used to come here when Arg was part of the US visa waiver, dubious visa extensions going back and forth from Uruguay by people from other nationalities... aren't those " fake tourists" as well? If anybody wanted to address these issues they would go by the law, anything else is just pure talk. Nobody is doing anything illegal.

Meanwhile, the influx of people from Russia is boosting the Armenian economy, for example. So, "these people" are not necessarily bringing only bad things.

Having just returned from Armenia and some of its neighboring countries where Russians are indeed everywhere on a scale you simply cannot compare to Argentina, I can attest that while the macroeconomic data may say one thing, the vast majority locals are hardly “thankful” towards the new arrivals.

It’s almost impossible now to find an apartment rental (as the new migrants have access to hard(er) currency and more of it, driving prices through the roof) and the inflation from competition for other good and services in these small markets has made it much harder for local wage earners to get by. Additionally people complain anecdotally that crime is increasing and they deeply resent Russians insisting on speaking Russian to them or imposing their culture on them (most younger Armenians and Georgians feel resentful toward the Russian colonialism of the Soviet days and this colonial mindset some Russian nationalists display even when abroad etc.) which leads to brawls and social discontent.

It’s interesting to read countless comments from Argentines on news sites here indignant that public hospitals are full of pregnant Russian “tourists” while they, as “tax payers” wait long times for treatment.

Bottom line is that immigration anywhere in the world is a double edged sword and without controls to avoid abuse, it quickly leads to problems for migrants and locals alike, even if there is an upside to be had for some.

It’s interesting to read countless comments from Argentines on news sites here indignant that public hospitals are full of pregnant Russian “tourists” while they, as “tax payers” wait long times for treatment.
Same thing happened with Venezuelan immigrants, who have swamped Buenos Aires' free hospitals. Tax-paying locals now have to wait much longer to get appointments - up to five months, in some cases.

Frankly, I don't see any problem with this at all. You mentioned them possibly being wealthy twice -- are you jealous? There is no point in hating on success. Moving on, every individual has to do what's best for themselves and their family and their respective futures. That means leaving Putin's Russia in many cases, using whatever options are available. I applaud all who have done what's necessary to secure their future. Good for them.
It has nothing to do with jelousy or hate. Even before this war, Russians had plenty of requirements and difficulties to obtain visas to enter into Occidental European countries and other countries. There has to be a logical reason why this requirements are in place. These newborns may be the new generations of future spies all over the world, I say "may be" because I am always suspicious there is something else beyond what we can immediately see.

... the vast majority locals are hardly “thankful” towards the new arrivals.
Those locals who rent their 1br apartments in Yerevan to Russians for 3k USD per month seem to be doing OK and don't complain much. They still may not be "thankful", though.

Oh, for God’s sake. Long times for what treatment? Are you planning to give birth any soon?

The system has worked the same way for ages. And people complained about it for ages. The fact that the system is still in place means that the positive effects outweigh the negatives.

I understand that it is now socially acceptable to bash Russians. If you ever dared to say the same things about Bolivians, Italians, Turks or people of any other nation, you would be labelled as a xenophobe for life.
This is something I've seen increasing a lot lately, while it hasn't occurred here yet in the context of the Russian women coming to give birth, the blatant dehumanization of ethnic Russians as a whole online is really depressing, especially the recycling of literal Nazi talking points and bullshit phrenology.

Bolivians and Paraguayans are great neighbors that contributed greatly to this country and still do, besides culturally being part of the region. The truth is not bashing a community, it is a big problem happening around the world that keeps happening because of people who keep justifying it, Hopefully it will soon end
Keep justifying what? I don't follow

The bottom line is that our National Constitution embraces immigration, and so do immigration laws, so when something is not illegal, it is then legal. It is a violation of rights to holding these women at the airport. If they are not intending to immigrate and settle and they just want a passport, how is that different from people from neighboring countries that get residency or deliver their children here to get plans and subsidies, Asian immigrants ( especially Chinese ) used to come here when Arg was part of the US visa waiver, dubious visa extensions going back and forth from Uruguay by people from other nationalities... aren't those " fake tourists" as well? If anybody wanted to address these issues they would go by the law, anything else is just pure talk. Nobody is doing anything illegal.
I'm a layman and I get this, and maybe it's because Florencia Carignano is a militant K she thinks like Alberto, Cristina & Co. that the law/constitution doesn't matter, but these are the laws of the Republic of Argentina whether she likes it or not, she doesn't get to selectively apply the ones she likes as Director of Migraciones, and her comments to the media open her up to a denouncement for intentionally discriminating against these women for being women since Russian men haven't had any problems/can't get pregnant, and for being Russian, as pregnant women from other countries aren't being held at Ezeiza or the land crossings with Bolivia or Paraguay for example.

Article 25 of the Constitution is crystal clear about immigration, especially from European countries (though the courts have interpreted this to mean immigration writ large), of which Russia is the largest. I get she's worried that Argentines may lose visa free access to Europe, but this is settled law as Bajo Cero has said over and over again, and won again last night. She, and anyone else who is against these women, or other coming here for birth tourism are free to argue for the repealing of Article 25 and changing the law on jus soli, but until then she must respect the laws of the country, and the constitution in particular and not impede immigration.

Also, while I haven't seen anyone on here complain yet, it would be pretty rich since all of us immigrated here (well, the non-Argentines), and as you mentioned, this includes the infamous Buquebus "tourists" from the US.
It has been this way for decades, before the Russians came, so they're just showing their xenophobia. I'm also willing to be these are the same people who say "the solution is Ezeiza" but I'm guessing they only meant it for their kids to move to Europe or the US.
These newborns may be the new generations of future spies all over the world, I say "may be" because I am always suspicious there is something else beyond what we can immediately see.
I don't know, I can think of much easier ways to get visa free access to Europe for Russian spies, i.e. fake passports, rather than a scheme that requires an 18+ year investment and meticulous planning and hoping that these kids are A) willing to be spies B) are competent enough to be spies C) don't just flip and sell out the scheme.

Back