Blonde small girl in Buenos Aires. How dangerous will it be for me??

lol Al!

And I will be totally honest - I do think there I was treated with a bit less respect by men when I was blonde. Tall, blonde, blue eyes and a foreigner = some men being a bit more forward than they ever would have been with a porteña. It's more the foreigner thing that the blonde thing but the color was just an immediate give away that I wasn't from here.

Now that my hair is dark, I find it a little easier to "blend in" - not that it's not obvious I'm a foreigner as soon as I open my mouth:rolleyes::D

At the end of the day - it's a city. Be smart and take precautions as a woman traveling alone which you would do in any city. But being blonde isn't going to make you any more of a target.

PS - I get called gordi by a very dear friend all the time. It took me a while to get used to it - certainly different cultural habit. And rubia didn't bother me, it just got annoying. But now they just switched to talking about my eyes (well, the polite ones!) jajaja

citygirl said:
But now they just switched to talking about my eyes (well, the polite ones!) jajaja

You know that the Spanish for eyes is ojos yeah? Not tet.......oh never mind.

;-)

You will be fine here!
As a former blonde I have first hand experience of being grabbed in Europe, N Africa and a little in Asia. Never as bad as some of the stories my friends have from India where it's literally impossible to walk down a street. I know the kind of scenario you are talking about.
The men here like to shout a bit but no worse than London. To be honest the worst experiences were out and about in London and I'm sure were more to do with booze than blonde hair and is probably the same in BsAs but you will manage.
Of course you will avoid the dodgy areas as you would in any city.
And as someone said earlier you won't fit in but as a brown eyed brunette, neither do I. My Chilean/English friend, dressed head to toe in BsAs high street clothes still gets the odd comment and occasional invitations to buy touristy stuff.
I'm sure with all your experience your very street wise and will have no trouble.
Enjoy :)

Hej svenska flicka!
As your fellow countrywoman living in BA for about two years now I can tell you you have nothing to fear. I'm also blond although not so much petite as "gordita" :), and well you'll get a few comments, you'll learn to ignore them or say something insulting back if you think they are too upfront but you'll be perfectly fine once you've gotten used to the porteño way. I have never experienced any grabing or groping and never any pulling of the hair, though I have gotten fake twenty notes taking cabs. I live in Paternal wich is quite far from the touristy areas, and I walk about and take buses even late at night and I have never felt unsafe. Not once. Though when I lived in San Telmo I felt less at ease a lot of times walking back to my apartment at night. I think you might be more of a target in touristy areas actually, being blonde or not...

As to argentines prefering morochas in all serious circumstances I can testify that even my argie BF was surprised to end up with a rubia... :)

Send me a PM if you want more info about being a blond swede in Buenos Aires, there are quite a few of us about :)
Hej då, ha det så bra!

Oh, I do have to add: speaking Spanish will get you a loooong way, in fact, people who look at me as a foreigner treat me with a lot more respect when they hear that i speak Spanish fluently, being blond or not! So to all you other rubias out there, put the money on spanish classes and not on hair colour! Guys who hear you can't speak proper spanish will treat you as gringas locas up for grabs even if your hair is pitch black...

Apologies to all you guys falling over yourselves to help out this poor little lass. But has anyone considered this poster to be a troll? When I first saw this post, when it was still on page 1, I thought for sure somebody was going to immediately flag it as such.

Troll?! What the..?! Haha, I'm definately not a troll =) I Was just worried because I've heard that the guys are worse in Argentina than Barcelona. And Barcelona can be very very nasty and unsafe at times...

And I've felt that people have been a whole lot worse to me than to my brunette friends, but maybe the haircolour means less in Argentina. What do I know. =)

But the fact that people have been trying to pull upp my dress and grabbing me in the street, just made me thought of how it could be in BA when I've heard that they are a lot worse there. Haha troll?!

diplomacy said:
Apologies to all you guys falling over yourselves to help out this poor little lass. But has anyone considered this poster to be a troll? When I first saw this post, when it was still on page 1, I thought for sure somebody was going to immediately flag it as such.

Ha, ha! It did occur to me as soon as I saw the OP, but hey....ever the optimist me!

;)

diplomacy said:

Saw a troll once, and to be honest it was not that pretty. Fat and ugly actually, with warts on it's nose. Lived under a bridge somewhere, and kept rabbiting on about the hairs on its chinny chin chin.:D

Back