Fibertel protest demonstration

I honestly am exploring my options. And they don't look too good.

speedy is a joke, arnet isnt as bad, but its not very good.

like I said, I hope they negotiate a deal or they at least sell fibertel in order to keep it functioning. But the countries integrity is more important than me having to change ISP's

Gringoboy said:
Finally a constructive comment. A responsible approach to avoid the chaos which will undoubtedly ensue when they pull the plug and leave us Fibertel users in the hands of Speedy (not) and Arnet (even worse).

Do you understand the simple fact that Fibertel, for it to be able to exist as a corporate ISP in Argentina needs to have a license signed by the Commerce Secretary ?

Whether the K's promised to get the CS to sign off on the license at some point or not is irrelevant.

The simple fact is Fibertel doesnt have a license. They can say they were promised a license all they want, but so what ? I am sure, if this happened, they made promises as well. Maybe both parties reneged.

who knows, all of this is conjecture and speculation. The facts and the law are simple :

No license, no isp

jp said:
Corporate law beyond me, but my understanding was that the merger was approved by both the anti-trust committee and the general inspection of justice,

cabrera said:
Gringoboy you do not like the government why you live in Argentina? You can easily live in Uruguay or Paraguay, Peru or Bolivia .

I can easily live in those countries can I? Pull the other one!
Why I live here and why I have lived here since 2005, as a tax payer and legal resident are none of your concern.
This topic is about the closure of Fibertel on whom many of us rely for our internet service, and for my part my business (yes, I run a business here and run with all the beurocratic crap that goes with it) depends on a reliable service which has an excellent customer support service i.e you get to talk to a HUMAN if you need to, which is a darn sight more than I can say for either Speedy (Telefonica) or Arnet (Telecom).
I realise that the well being of the country overrides our small inconveniences such as having to sign up to another ISP (which incidentally will have us by the short and curlies), but wouldn't we all like to see some common sense to prevail?
So, asking me why I live in Argentina is way off the mark not to mention your apalling use of the English language.
Let's be constructive rather than destructive shall we?

I did some digging and found this, which is quite interesting.

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/article.aspx?cid=752202

Argentina's federal planning minister Julio De Vido announced the expiry of the licence granted to internet service provider Fibertel in 2003. Fibertel was merged into Cablevision, effective April 2003. As a result of that merger, Cablevision became the universal successor of all assets, rights and obligations of Fibertel, including the licence for provision of internet services, Grupo Clarin, owner of Cablevision, earlier said. Cablevision's over one million broadband subscribers will have one month to change their internet provider and switch to another operator, reports Argentine national news agency Telam. "Fibertel and Cablevision ignored the current regulation framework for the telecommunications sector", stated De Vido during a press conference and added that the expiry of the licence was documented in Resolution 100 of the Communications Secretariat and was signed by its Secretary of Communications Carlos Lisandro Salas. "What we have done today is report an illegal attitude on the part of Cablevision. [...] What we are doing is not granting authorization to Cablevision to provide a service from a company which was dissolved in the context of a merger that the National State did not approve", De Vido added. According to the minister, Cablevision does not have a license to provide broadband internet services, however, it continued exercising Fibertel's "legal powers". Fibertel did possess a licence to provide telecommunication services although on 15 January 2010, both companies had signed the dissolution of Fibertel before the General Justice Inspection. The dissolution was the result of the "company reorganization" within the private group which did not receive the corresponding authorization from the regulation authorities. That is why "it is clear they have not abided by the regulation. It can no longer do this and it is therefore unauthorized to provide the services", said the Argentinean minister. Clarin plans to appeal the government's ruling. "This measure is so arbitrary and illegitimate we'll appeal – it violates the rights of the company and our clients," a source at Grupo Clarin told The Financial Times.

@cabrera: many of us are in Argentina by choice, but still see its many problems. In my view, ignoring or denying those problems means they will be around forever.

As an Argentinian/American, I welcome constructive criticism - even plain moaning and qvetching can be useful. We locals have been brought up to endure a lot of things that are not tolerated in other countries. High time we saw them for the problems they are, and tried to do something about them.

End of speech....;)

AlexfromLA said:
I honestly am exploring my options. And they don't look too good.

speedy is a joke, arnet isnt as bad, but its not very good.

like I said, I hope they negotiate a deal or they at least sell fibertel in order to keep it functioning. But the countries integrity is more important than me having to change ISP's

If the country's integrity is so important to you, why are you in Argentina?

Glad we cleared that up

AlexfromLA said:
The facts and the law are simple :

No license, no isp

jp said:
Financial Times said:
According to the minister, Cablevision does not have a license to provide broadband internet services, however, it continued exercising Fibertel's "legal powers".

great another troll.

Go away unless you actually have something to say about the thread topic.

steveinbsas said:
If the country's integrity is so important to you, why are you in Argentina?

AlexfromLA said:
Go away unless you actually have something to say about the thread topic.

I am happy I have a wireless modem.

And I'm also happy to see that you've been promoted (at least in your own mind).

promoted ? what the hell are you talking about. Dude go away. You're making no sense.

Back