Formosa: What is going on and why does it matter?

More protests expected today.

More accounts of extreme police violence are emerging:
" In the alpha cell of the Anti-riot police, they hanged me and in the Third Police Station, hooded men hit me from the back repeatedly , on the ribs, 'for being an opponent' and under threats from Commissioner Guanes, whom we have already denounced, as well as the staff"

The youngest of the complainants said that 13 hooded police officers beat him. “ They also shot me for wanting to help a lady in the middle of the disturbance . Let's go to court. No more threats or blows, ”he added

Human Rights Watch have also issued a complaint against Argentina and the national government.

The Catholic Church has also chimed in its condemnation.

Meanwhile the language of the government and many of their neo-fascist supporters continue to justify the use of force by blaming "violent" protesters while making out as if they are the only victims and owners of human rights in this country. This kind of talk seriously delegitimises any notion of concern human rights as it is exactly the same talk that was used by the dictatorship to justify violent acts and repression of political opponents - something this government still likes to use as ammunition to gain political favor almost 40 years later.

I agree with the other posters that the events in Formosa are scandalous. And no majority basically justifies these actions.

I dont want to say “they deserve it“ or ”its their fault”. However, next time he gets again 70+% of the vote and to a certain extent you have to hold the voters. responisble.

I agree with the other posters that the events in Formosa are scandalous. And no majority basically justifies these actions.

I dont want to say “they deserve it“ or ”its their fault”. However, next time he gets again 70+% of the vote and to a certain extent you have to hold the voters. responisble.
When you’ve got 80% of all workers in the province working for the government (where the government literally buys their vote and fires anyone suspected of supporting the opposition), the remaining 20% are the ones who pay the price for the vote. The rest who are on plans are as poor as ever and exploited and intimidated for votes by turning up and down theIr money / basic survival line or using police to “crackdown” on “criminality” communities etc if they look like they are starting to have a voice.

Democracy is Formosa is nothing more than a technical process, not an ideology or value by any means.

Alberto finally breaks his silence on the events in Formosa by saying “We are worried about institutional violence. We are analyzing it.” That’s all.

Well Mr. President I am also worried about it and analyzing it, but unlike you I don’t have the power to take actions against it. The same way you did the very day after CABA police fired off some tear gas at Maradona fans but launching criminal proceedings against the city government and chief. In this case where are the criminal proceedings against the Formosa government and its governor?

and i seem to remember some here saying macri's police were the ones who were using excessive force too often...

I'm pretty neutral on Argentina politics and even though my partner is a huge Kirchnerista it has become a favourite hobby of mine over the past year to watch and listen to C5N "journalists" scramble to try to defend situations like this, taking shots for each "but Macri!!!!" is a fun game.

It's also fun to guess which ones believe what they are actually saying and which ones are desperately trying to climb the career ladder.

It's a sandbox, a test tube.

The shape of things to come....

Iz

Alberto finally breaks his silence on the events in Formosa by saying “We are worried about institutional violence. We are analyzing it.” That’s all.

Well Mr. President I am also worried about it and analyzing it, but unlike you I don’t have the power to take actions against it. The same way you did the very day after CABA police fired off some tear gas at Maradona fans but launching criminal proceedings against the city government and chief. In this case where are the criminal proceedings against the Formosa government and its governor?
The President has no power to interference in a province. Only the Congress can vote a Federal Intervention:

In my opinion, the problem with Formosa is that a closed province prevents the soy trafficking to Bolivia and Paraguay:
If you see who complain, you find politicians who represents the farmers who evade taxes. I really do not think JxC cares about Human Rights.

Last edited:
The President has no power to interference in a province. Only the Congress can vote a Federal Intervention:

In my opinion, the problem with Formosa is that a closed province prevents the soy trafficking to Bolivia and Paraguay:
If you see who complain, you find politicians who represents the farmers who evade taxes. I really do not think JxC cares about Human Rights.
- So why did he "intervene" (in some form) with CABA and the government made a denuncia against the city for the use of tear gas against Maradona fans? Why is Congress not discussing a Federal Intervention?
- Your last point sounds like justification of the brutality by saying those who you consider to be voices of famers and tax evaders (instead voices of narco traffickers, embezzlers of tax funds and cigarette smugglers) have no right to complain. What happened happened, a serious breach of human rights, it is not important who is complaining about it. What is important is what is being done about it.

Back