Formosa: What is going on and why does it matter?

After 35 in years in power the governor of Formosa has never declared his wealth or salary (unlike most politicians in Argentina from all sides of the divide)
This is ironic since Alberto praises him as a role-model governor but attacks the judges of the Supreme Court for failing to make the same declarations.

If you see who complain, you find politicians who represents the farmers who evade taxes. I really do not think JxC cares about Human Rights.
So far i havent met an Argentinian who is paying all his taxes. And certainly not the lawyers in this country. So are you sure you want to throw the “tax evader” stone?

- So why did he "intervene" (in some form) with CABA and the government made a denuncia against the city for the use of tear gas against Maradona fans? Why is Congress not discussing a Federal Intervention?
- Your last point sounds like justification of the brutality by saying those who you consider to be voices of famers and tax evaders (instead voices of narco traffickers, embezzlers of tax funds and cigarette smugglers) have no right to complain. What happened happened, a serious breach of human rights, it is not important who is complaining about it. What is important is what is being done about it.
1. Are you serious? To intervene a Province means to remove authorities and to put a controller.
If the President made a criminal denunciation at Court he respected the division of power of a Republic and the Federal System of Government.
2. Perhaps the Congress does not believe Infobae. I was reading today that Formosa has a good health system and, thanks to a premature quarantine, the deaths are very low being surrounded by provinces and countries that are a mess like Bolivia and Paraguay.
3. I meant that the complains of JxC sounds fake. It is a fact that they are anti quarantine, and Formosa is where quarantine was very strict.
1615167316330.png

In my opinion, the problem with Formosa is that a closed province prevents the soy trafficking to Bolivia and Paraguay:

There is still a lot of smuggling going on back and forth from Clorinda to Asuncion. There are a lot of cleaning products, cooking oil, soy, wine, dollars and other products smuggled into Asuncion, the quarantines haven't changed much. Cigarettes and marijuana flow back into Clorinda.

It's obvious to note that authorities on both sides know full well what's going on and are well compensated for their protection. From what I hear, Insfran and Cartes are very close. The smuggled cigarettes come from Cartes company and in return dirty Argentine money comes into Asuncion. Laundered by BASA bank also owned by Cartes.

The arrangement works out very well for both parties. Cartes the wealthiest and most powerful figure in Paraguay, and Insfran very wealthy too.

Bolivia is also close to Formosa and well we know all know what their main export is.

Are you serious? To intervene a Province means to remove authorities and to put a controller.
If the President made a criminal denunciation at Court he respected the division of power of a Republic and the Federal System of Government

"La Secretaría de Derechos Humanos de la Nación presentó una denuncia penal ante la justicia porteña contra el Jefe de Gobierno Horacio Rodríguez Larreta y contra Diego Santilli, a cargo del Ministerio de Justicia y Seguridad, por la represión ocurrida durante el velorio de Diego Maradona por parte de la Policía de esa ciudad."

It doesn't matter what you call it as it does not changed what happened. We are talking about actions taken by the central government against a provincial government as far as the law permits. They did something against CABA yet refuse to do the same thing against Formosa, thus endorsing human rights abuses in Formosa by this double standard. As for taking further measures against the Formosa government such as removal of the governor, yes this should be at least discussed by Congress.

2. Perhaps the Congress does not believe Infobae. I was reading today that Formosa has a good health system and, thanks to a premature quarantine, the deaths are very low being surrounded by provinces and countries that are a mess like Bolivia and Paraguay.

Perhaps congress also does not believe C5N, Pagina 12, El País, Amnesty International, HRW who have also now acknowledged the violence and other abuses took place. But when the government promote conspiracy theories of "hegemonic media", the crimes are not what matters... I guess this implies Argentina now needs its own Q-Anon so people can get the real "facts" as determined by the Instituto Patria?

Further, by this logic if a human rights abusing regime does at least one good thing (e.g. a good health system) then it can do what it likes in terms of brutality, repression, corruption, impoverishment and otherwise excessive measures against people. Even Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Castro, Videla etc did some "good" things amidst the atrocities they committed - yet nothing justifies their atrocities as their supporters would try to argue by focusing on unrelated acts to detract attention from the bad.

3. I meant that the complains of JxC sounds fake. It is a fact that they are anti quarantine, and Formosa is where quarantine was very strict.

Who really cares what JxC have to say about this? The complaints are from the victims of the violence and repression of the regime in Formosa. The complaints are from the people who live in this country tired of double standards and repeated abuses. The complaints are from international human rights watchers who see the dangerous path this country is going down.

If anyone complains against the government they are made out to be JxC supporters or part of JxC - once upon a time they were made out to be "communists" or something like this - same tactics, different target.

To get an idea of the double standards and perverse irony that is this government, Governor Insfrán of Formosa was today in Buenos Aires and applauded by the government and Alberto while signing a declaration against gender violence:

Meanwhile in his province:

“They grabbed me by the hair and dragged me” - the journalist Julieta González referring to her treatment by Insfrán's police force.

As always leaving us wishing they were leading by example and actions, not empty words.

Last edited:
With all my respect, you are new. Patricia Bullrich was a terrorist in the 70’s. She shows up in Formosa and violence begings. Coincidence? Mmmmm. All in the picture were terrorist:055414B4-B74C-466A-95FC-5FD2E593D42F.jpeg

What exactly is on this picture? Some people are waiting for pizza?

Back