Gaining weight in Buenos Aires

IntlMama said:
Had any one else had weight issues since moving here? I find it is hard to not consume large amounts of red meat and bread. Also, the sweets here! I see people eat cookies for breakfast or of course, medialunas - but the locals all stay skinny!

Do you think it just has to do with the food you grew up on?

I lost 10 kilos when I first came here, because being used to a lot of ethnic food, I find the food here boring.

The locals stay skinny until the're 30 -very few skinny middle aged people here - maybe compared to obese Yanquis the're skinny.

Hi: had the same problem at first!!! But now just copy what the women do here...they do love bread and sweets, regular coke etc. but they don't eat much at all! They really take care and a ton of them smoke. Still love my meat though...

I too gained wight here, but when I was pregnant I gained only 7 kilos, then lost them and after 2 months started gaining again.
I have a goal to lose 10 kgs. I started going to the gym 4 weeks ago and go 3-5 times a week, as work permits, and in about a month when I get more into shape I will work more intensively and then start losing the weight. I also do not follow any diet I have a sweet tooth and can't help it, so as long as I exrecise I will lose weight. Also may try in 2 or 3 more months do a hard core diet for 1 month and then lose a chung of weight in a short time. This is not a good long term plan but if I will continue to work out and be in shape, and then go off the diet and keep working out I should be able to maintain the weight...

I actually find it hard to keep weight on here, because I walk SO much and basically live off of whole-grain bread, lentejas, fruits and veggies. Even my mindless snacking is limited because almost all packaged cookies and crackers contain beef fat, and the chocolate is so bad I'm not even tempted. I definitely consume more calories in the US, where I can hit up Pinkberry and the Whole Foods hot bar every day, and have limitless access to Lindt chocolate, good cheese, and jars and jars of almond butter.

Carlosgreat, you're so right.

I'm 181/65 (girl) and I eat avocados, sunflower seeds and nuts, eggs, cheese, butter, olive oil, veggies, some fruits (they are just sugar but to get some vitamins etc), beans, lentils, natural yogurt, cream, berries.. no bread, pasta, processed crap, anything that says "light" and no red meat - sometimes, maybe once a month or so. Same with chicken.

Sometimes ice cream, or alfajores. I'm not a nazi but seriously, life's just so much better without soo many carbs.

The Argentine diet is unhealthy. Most beef is at least partly grain fed these days. Grass fed meat is a lot healthier but harder to get nowadays. If you eat out almost every meal comes with papas fritas. Lots of dishes are fried, they use tons of salt in cooking. Little fish and what you can get is expensive as is almost everything fresh and healthy. People in the upscale parts of town are often thin (women mainly) but there is now a lot of obesity in Argentina (When you get outside the expat areas into the more typical Argentina you see the difference). People are now eating a lot of junk food, a lot of fast food. When I first came to Argentina everyone ate three meals a day. Dinner was always with the family, sitting at the table having a conversation like human beings. i think that has broken down to a large extent. Family life is getting dysfunctional and it has affected eating habits. Oh....and have you ever seen so much Coca Cola? They quaff liters and liters of it!

Back