Gay Marriage Passes in Arg Senate

manuski said:
I would also like to state that I find the passing of the bill abhorrent. Also, the reaction to the biblical quotations and opinion expressed by VoiceofTruth to be completely typical of a society which has completely lost the plot.

Seriously - I don't get this. Why in God's name;) does it matter to anyone if two people want to get married? What impact does it have in your life? If you believe it's wrong - bully to you. You have every right to think that. But does it change your life in any way if 2 men or 2 women get married? No.

Don't believe gay marriage is right? Great - don't get married to someone of your own gender.

manuski said:
I would also like to state that I find the passing of the bill abhorrent. Also, the reaction to the biblical quotations and opinion expressed by VoiceofTruth to be completely typical of a society which has completely lost the plot.

The opinions were expressed by individuals. There is no such entity as society and it certainly is not represented on this forum in any case.

Isn't the passage of the law a stamp of approval by "society" (in a so-called democracy)?

Perhaps Argentina has indeed lost the plot, but it wasn't a recent event.

steveinbsas said:
The opinions were expressed by individuals. There is no such entity as society and it certainly is not represented on this forum in any case.

Isn't the passage of the law a stamp of approval by "society" (in a so-called democracy)?

It's not clear if the people in Argentina support this or if it's something the political class chose to impose for its own reasons.

polostar88 said:
It's not clear if the people in Argentina support this or if it's something the political class chose to impose for its own reasons.

Like I said, "so-called" democracy (tongue in cheek :p).

Argentina is a inherently conservative society especially in the Northern provinces and I believe that most probably have not supported the passing of this bill. In time though most will see that it was the right decision as Argentinians do understand and respect the right of expression and personal choice better than most peoples.

I do commend the Kirchners and the senators for making history and changing the outlook for millions of people . We are world news today and for good reason.

They imposed??? They didn't impose anything. It's not as though they're forcing people to go out and get married to someone of their own gender:rolleyes:

What it says is that two people have equal protection and equal rights when they get married - be it a man and a woman, two men or two women. Really - in all seriousness - why is it even a question? If you (general you) believe it is wrong - don't do it. But who cares what other people do?

My friends have married some people I think are utter asses and totally wrong for them. Because I think that, should I have the right to say they can't get married? Of course not, it would be utterly ludicrous. Same principle really.

(PS - And no need for anyone to pull out the bible for me - I'm a born and raised Catholic who attended Catholic school. For every bible quote you pull out, I can pull out equally as many. But I think the wise Jeb Bartlett says it better than I ever could: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHaVUjjH3EI)

VoiceofTruth said:
"Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin." Leviticus 18:22

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them". Leviticus 20:13

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." 1 Corinthians 6:9-10

God made a law many years ago a little different from this one. Man's laws do not supercede God's laws.

This is SO SO SO NOT A RELIGIOUS ISSUE!! This is about equal rights under the law of MAN (we are not talking about God here).

The church and their "army" forget the most important thing that Jesus taught...FREE WILL!! If you SO believe that homosexuality is wrong, then you are entitled to your opinion, but YOUR church teaches that "man will be judged" according to their OWN actions.

I respect your right to disagree, but you need to respect mine as well.

Who was the most famous person in history that wanted to FORCE the people to be "good" and follow the law of God....Lucifer.

citygirl said:
They imposed??? They didn't impose anything. It's not as though they're forcing people to go out and get married to someone of their own gender:rolleyes:

What it says is that two people have equal protection and equal rights when they get married - be it a man and a woman, two men or two women. Really - in all seriousness - why is it even a question? If you (general you) believe it is wrong - don't do it. But who cares what other people do?

My friends have married some people I think are utter asses and totally wrong for them. Because I think that, should I have the right to say they can't get married? Of course not, it would be utterly ludicrous. Same principle really.

(PS - And no need for anyone to pull out the bible for me - I'm a born and raised Catholic who attended Catholic school. For every bible quote you pull out, I can pull out equally as many. But I think the wise Jeb Bartlett says it better than I ever could: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHaVUjjH3EI)

No it's simple...if the senate (or govt. or the courts) pass a law against the will of the people, that is an imposition. It doesn't matter if you or I think it's a good law or not.

On a related note, do you believe the Argentinian govt. and elites have the best wishes of the Argentinian people at heart and that this is why they are doing this?

jaredwb said:
This is SO SO SO NOT A RELIGIOUS ISSUE!! This is about equal rights under the law of MAN (we are not talking about God here).

The church and their "army" forget the most important thing that Jesus taught...FREE WILL!! If you SO believe that homosexuality is wrong, then you are entitled to your opinion, but YOUR church teaches that "man will be judged" according to their OWN actions.

I respect your right to disagree, but you need to respect mine as well.

Who was the most famous person in history that wanted to FORCE the people to be "good" and follow the law of God....Lucifer.

Some people on this thread above are basically admitting that this law is good because it's the Argentinian govt. "improving the outlook" of the Argentinian people against their will, i.e., forcing them to be good.

Back